Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Fished the lower end of  Lehigh River over the weekend to avoid the blow at the shore. 6am-1pm. cool morning bite. bite slowed to a crawl after the jetski's woke up.

Managed several largemouth bass 3lb range, tons of smallmouth bass mostly though.  great fun.  all released. 

all caught on spinners, crank baits, etc.  they munched mostly white, then later green. 8-9 ft water. 

cheers.

yes, I've fished up north a bit. not lately though. there's some good trout spots around Palmerton area, you need waders.  Near Jim Thorpe there's a few nice deep holes that hold fish. I'd definitely bring a rod along next time. 

I am stationed out of Bethlehem near Lehigh University. I have tried hard to gather info on this area yet can't seem to. Do you have any info on bass fishing in this area that could be useful to me? I have tried where the Saucon Creek meets the Lehigh, I have tried down on the Monocacy, and I have tried the Grist Mill Pond, all with no luck.

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Saucon and the Monocacy are more known for trout.  They both are cold enough to hold wild trout.  Likewise the upper Lehigh due to the dam release.

White curly tail grubs have long been a staple on the lower Lehigh and Delaware.  Almost always been able to find a few nice smallies.

If you are in Bethlehem there is always Lake Nockamixon which is a short trip south.  If you fly fish you have three nice local trout streams in the Saucon, Monocacy, and Little Lehigh.  The lower Jordon Creek has a mix of hold over trout and smallies.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

On 9/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, OutdoorLover said:

I am stationed out of Bethlehem near Lehigh University. I have tried hard to gather info on this area yet can't seem to. Do you have any info on bass fishing in this area that could be useful to me? I have tried where the Saucon Creek meets the Lehigh, I have tried down on the Monocacy, and I have tried the Grist Mill Pond, all with no luck.

Thanks

make sure you have a license , they check.   Their should be trout stocking in that are over the next two months. 

Body of Water Sec Upper Limit Lower Limit Stocking Events Regulation
Little Lehigh Creek 9 155 M UPS 24 ST BOGART'S (SR2007) BRDG: Lat: 40.5686, Long: -75.5001 CONF W/LEHIGH R:Lat: 40.5975, Long: -75.4483
Date Brk Brn Rbow Gld Meeting Place Time Hatchery
10/15/19     X   Robeson Township Municipal Building-RT724 East 2 1/2 Mi. past I-176 Int. 12:15 PM Bellefonte
Stocked Trout Water
          Waters stocked outside of the selected date range are not displayed. Try expanding the date range.  

ACCESSIBILITY   PRIVACY   SECURITY   PFBC HOME   PA.GOV  
Copyright © 2019 Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. All Rights Reserved. 

The Lehigh R. hold tons of small mouth bass, large mouth bass,  pickerel, catfish, use larger shiners in late summer, they are very aggressive.  If you are in Bethlehem , there are spots from the canal side you can crawl down too the river across from the steel stacks.  look for some moving water with drop offs, any creek crossings and drainage holes will hold fish.   down river from the water treatment plant is decent.  the boating area farther downstream holds fish, but gets hit pretty hard.   look for weed beds, and sunken logs.  if you get bit,  there is more than one bass there.  keep hitting the spot. the bite is an early one, before 10 am for best results.   hope this helps a little.  

20 hours ago, OutdoorLover said:

Will be fishing a ton this week, thank you for the info. How do the creeks do this time of year? Saucon, Silver, Monocacy? 

Thanks

They are low and fairly warm.  What are you targeting?  One of the better options in the area right now is trout on the Little Lehigh.  There are enough springs through the parkway area to keep water temps reasonable.  Even better if you FF and hit the special regs area.

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

They are low and fairly warm.  What are you targeting?  One of the better options in the area right now is trout on the Little Lehigh.  There are enough springs through the parkway area to keep water temps reasonable.  Even better if you FF and hit the special regs area.

I’d like to target SMB but will go for whatever is biting. I’ll have to look in to the Little Lehigh

13 mins ago, OutdoorLover said:

I’d like to target SMB but will go for whatever is biting. I’ll have to look in to the Little Lehigh

Both the lower Lehigh River and the Delaware should be productive for SMB.  I haven't fished the lower Lehigh in many years and I fish the Delaware much further south.  So I don't know good public access points in that area.  But any spot with rock ledges should hold smallies.  You can also try the Jordan Creek in Allentown.  That will have a mix of holdover trout, smallies, and rock bass.  

One of the most popular lures in the area is a ball jig head with a white twister tail.

The city of Allentown has many miles of park along the Little Lehigh.  Also long parks along the Joran and Cedar Creek.  Cedar Creek is spring fed, very cold, and holds trout.  Very clear water and very tough fishing but very rewarding if you catch one of those elusive large browns.