Edhsurf31

What can you tell me about CTS rods?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

i have 11 s7 1-4 it can throw that weight range and more. also in my line up is 12ft vt 3-6oz two piece, parabolic and throws plugs out of sight. would rate it as a true 1-5oz. their s7 bait rods are also great mod-fast, perfect bait rod. i have used a century 12ft spod 3-6oz that rod could throw some plugs two, never went under 2oz on that rod. would like to check out a century kne nor'easter.

for 3oz stuff I like the 11' vt 3-6 and the 11' s8 2-4 they both launch stuff although they are very diff as fb said. it's not cts in nz that has poor customer service it some people who sell and build here.

Not NZ, the local Rep, Ryan

I recently broke my cts rod and they responded within one day via email and are sending me a new blank for $60 plus shipping. I don't see how that's bad customer service but maybe others have had a bad experience or maybe they've seen a loss in business due to previous service complaints

:Let us know if it shows up - I had the same promises made

i have 11 s7 1-4 it can throw that weight range and more. also in my line up is 12ft vt 3-6oz two piece, parabolic and throws plugs out of sight. would rate it as a true 1-5oz. their s7 bait rods are also great mod-fast, perfect bait rod. i have used a century 12ft spod 3-6oz that rod could throw some plugs two, never went under 2oz on that rod. would like to check out a century kne nor'easter.

So a 3-6 would really properly load an Sp?! Interesting. If I buy a CTS maybe a 3-6 would suite me. Just wish there was a local vendor or if they did demo days around me. Actually feeling it, casting it would be ideal

I can't comment on their lighter rods, but I do have a 13' S7 that I use here in NC for Red Drum. I've owned many of the popular custom rods; WRI Fusion, Saltiga Balistic, Rainshadow 1508, 1509. There CTS is by far my favorite. It loads very well and is light in the hands. CTS is quickly taking over as the go to rod for guys wanting a custom rod built. I don't think you could go wrong with any CTS. 

I have the Vapor Trail 1-3 oz, 11', great rod, also a 9 footer same rating. Like them both for 3/4-2 oz.

The customer service is an issue. Also

Wanted a 3-6 VT, 11 footer and could not get one. Ended up with the ODM Genesis 11' 2-6, Very happy with it in the 1-4 oz plugging I do, especially 2-3 oz plugs.

Edited by Surfratiam

RH custom's is the american distributor for CTS, located here in south jersey, I have several rods that Rich has built and nothing but positive things to say about the service and the products. Honestly some guys will whine and complain about everything just because they didn't get an email instantly or call returned by the time the handset hit the receiver... 

Ask yourself this; where are you mainly fishing? Do you need to launch a lure halfway to London to catch or are you in situations where you are pulling big bass out of current? Fast action super slingers will launch lures, but fighting fish on those fast rods will kick your butt pulling a cow from a rip. A Lami GSB practically fights the fish for you. It's a lot of cash to lay out. The new breed of fast rods are very adverse to small nicks and dings, eventually they will fail at such locations, it's the nature of the beast. I've seen $500 rods blow right up from high sticking, something that frequently occurs jetty fishing. These types of rods are very thin walled to facilitate the extreme light weight, I won't say fragile, but far less forgiving. 

RH custom's is the american distributor for CTS, located here in south jersey, I have several rods that Rich has built and nothing but positive things to say about the service and the products. Honestly some guys will whine and complain about everything just because they didn't get an email instantly or call returned by the time the handset hit the receiver...

How about Rich saying a rod will be ready in a week and then not replied for over 4 weeks? Never did get a reply.

He was great with the 2 rods he made me, atrocious with the one I was trying to buy. Whining? It's a true warning. Maybe you should stick up for someone who is responsible?

If you want to cast 3 oz id get the 3-6, it's really a 1-5 rod that can do an all around job. I use mine for plugging with the typical 3/4-3.5oz stuff that we all throw.

I don't have first hand experience with the 1-3, but I've heard you will feel a little sloppy with the upper end of the range

So I have a thread going on the Arra/Cousins rods. I also want to learn a little about CTS. Over the winter months I may invest in some rods of different makes/actions. My question to you is how well would the VT or S8 handle the top of their labeled weight range. I have a lot of light stuff (3/4 bucks and sp's) but my largest are 3oz guppy and SS. My go to right now is the Arra 1205. Friggin love that. Those rods don't really require a good punch to load but sometimes I have the tendency to really give a cast my all. Would a VT or S8 get soft, of worst case cause damage if say I punch a 3oz guppy on their 1-3oz models? I should add that most all of my fishing is on beaches. Some sand, some with good rock structure.

I have the VT 11' rated 1-3 oz.  IMHO this overrates it; it's an excellent stick for 5/8 to 2 1/4 oz., which makes it ideal for false albacore season, but limits the rod's utility in strong onshore winds or with larger plugs. It flexes down to the butt with a moderately strong cast and collapses, in my opinion, with a good hard cast.  I suspect it would do very well with smaller pencil poppers, to 1 3/4" ounces.  Above that, stick with your 1205.

I have no experience, and therefore no opinion, about any other CTS rod.