BrianBM

false albacore
Tuna vision, especially little tunny AKA false albacore

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This post is stimulated by the thread about tried and proven albie (little tunny) flies.

Brian Horsley, who catches more little tunny in a day then I will in my life, brought up the Tutti Frutti as a proven pattern. Pink on top, or is it chartreuse/green on top? One over the other, anyway ... now, there's apparently good scientific evidence that striped bass see yellow/Chartreuse colors better then anything else in the spectrum. Marlin see best in green/blue/UV spectra. (Anyone who knows otherwise is welcome to step in.)

Is there any science, any non-angler's-WAG guesses at all, as to what part of the spectrum of visible light that's most visible to little tunny, and to tuna in general?

I'll venture a WAG of my own. Bigeye, I'll bet, have the same vision as billfish, optimized for green/blue/ultraviolet spectra, because those penetrate most deeply into the water column. Little tunny, as best I know, don't dive as deeply as bigeye. They may, or may not, share the visual green/blue/UV visual acuity of billfish and bigeye. I suspect they don't because their habits are different.

I note that I have not yet seen anyone, here or in Fly Tying, bother with an anchovy - sized Tutti Frutti.  It most likely reflects a lack of imagination - who can believe that they'll bite something that weird? I'll give it a whack.

Has anyone got any science to share on little tunny vision? If they're happy to bite on Tutti Fruttis off Cape Hatteras, there's no reason that comes to mind why they shouldn't do so off Long Island, too. Gentlemen, speak up. TLDig, if you're lurking, speak up too, it's been too long since we made seesaw jokes.

I tie small bay anchovy-size Tutti-Frutti flies.  These are both done with Deadly Dazzle and Softex on #2 Gami SL12's.  This style fly works in all white and olive/white also depending on the bait.  It's my take on Mike Rice's (Mud Dog flies) Dazzle Bait fly.  Mike's pattern is very versatile and works on #4/0's or #4's and can be trimmed on the spot if you need to change profile and go slimmer.

I like brighter flies first thing in the morning, before the light is good, or on very dark overcast days.  Chartreuse/white, pink/white, and Tutti-Frutti are my go-to bright colors.

I don't know anything about an Albie's vision except that for the last week or so they have not liked the look of my flies! :banghd:  :banghd:   But there was one Albie that absolutely crushed a 2/0 Crease Fly that had 20# wire on it!  You wouldn't think Albies would hit a fly with wire, but on the surface I think that is less of an issue, with all the motion and turbulence.

post-11489-0-99946800-1473613737.jpg

Ain't that the truth. 

CGG, during that one year when the central North Shore  of Long Island was THE place to be for LTs, I saw them hit the damndest things, including an umbrella trolled in the engine wash of the boat.  I saw another hig a 2 oz. Striper Swiper fished on a wire leader.  This was before I was fly fishing ... the fish were present for the lower half of the falling tide, every day for six weeks.  I have never seen anything like that, before or since.

Yes--They do seem inclined to hit oversized stuff on top.  I was shore fishing last year and there were 3 or 4 fly guys like me, all throwing nice flies that conventional wisdom says are perfect for albies, blah, blah, blah.  And we aren't catching anything.  And the spin guys with DD's and Marias and Hogy Epoxies aren't catching anything either.  So another guy shows up with one of those giant white fiberglass surf rods and starts throwing this huge 3 or 4 ounce Ballistic Missile on an 18" black wire leader and about his third cast he has an albie grey-hounding after the thing.  The 'core chased it for 10 yards and kept missing before it gave up.  That was the only albie I saw all day.  

I think fly folks ignore floating lines and surface flies for false albacore and miss out on some great action.  Sometimes a good size Crease Fly ripped across the surface as fast as you can get it going will draw savage hits when nothing else seems to be working.  Maybe I should make a couple Tutti-Frutti Crease Flies!

Yes--They do seem inclined to hit oversized stuff on top.  I was shore fishing last year and there were 3 or 4 fly guys like me, all throwing nice flies that conventional wisdom says are perfect for albies, blah, blah, blah.  And we aren't catching anything.  And the spin guys with DD's and Marias and Hogy Epoxies aren't catching anything either.  So another guy shows up with one of those giant white fiberglass surf rods and starts throwing this huge 3 or 4 ounce Ballistic Missile on an 18" black wire leader and about his third cast he has an albie grey-hounding after the thing.  The 'core chased it for 10 yards and kept missing before it gave up.  That was the only albie I saw all day.  

I have seen the same thing on the North Shore of Long Island except the angler hooked up... 

i tie my tuttis with pink on the top and chartreuse on the bottom.  I have no clue why the color combination works so well.  Tan and white work almost as well as do all white.  To me if an angler has confidence in the fly it will catch better as he will fish it longer and with more effort. 

I was using tiny tutti epoxies today and they got bit good enough.  my other angler was using a tan and white tiny epoxy and was getting bit as well.   

I know when i throw an ALBIE SNAX on my spinner the all pink is the heat unless the fish are on spearing then it is white.

A few years ago we were fishing in the "slot" in super clear water using all white small surf candies.  The fish were cruising down the face of the waves and would do a hard right turn to eat the fly.

bottom line i ain't got a clue --