Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delzea

how much noise does a lathe make

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

i've been doing the carving and sanding thing and recently i've been doing the kits and the pre turned bodies.

i'd like to get the central machinery 8x12 1/3hp lathe from harbor freight and start turning my own.

the only problem is i rent.

the building has 2 apts and i have the top 2 floors.the very top floor is partially finished attic and i've been doing my drilling ,sanding, painting etc..up there and i'm not too concerned with the mess side of it.

just want to get an idea of how much i'm gonna piss off the neighbors with the noise-or even the landlord if she happens to stop by.

Its kinda loud, I have it and use it in my garage.

Probably not too bad depending on the hours you choose to turn the wood. Would recommed 10 am to 7 pm. Hahaha depending how much you like your neighbors.

you're really going to need some kind of dust collection for it, either a shop vac or dust collector going to a hood or you'll have dust airborne and everywhere. Both are pretty noisy as well but if you're on the 3rd floor you'll be fine

i have a large shop vac-maybe it will drown out any noise the lathe makes and it will just sound like i'm vacuuming.

they can't complain about that