Stonefish

Small anchovy patterns

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I was out yesterday and encountered a ton of anchovies.

We don't see them that often where I live and fish. Needless to say I was a bit unprepared.

The naturals I observed were various sizes. I've got some foils to imitate the large ones.

I'm interested in patterns that imitate the smaller one in the picture I attached.

Thanks for your help.

SF

post-20771-0-55702500-1473088719.jpeg

Edited by Stonefish

For the small ones just do relatively simple, small Surf Candies in whatever colors you think will work.  Maybe a grey or light olive over white and add a little flash in the center.  These pink ones are done on #2 Mustad C68's with Unique Hair, Polar flash and #2 eyes and are 2 1/2 to 3".  

post-11489-0-44202100-1473099250.jpg

The candies in that other thread are way to big for what you are looking for,IMHO

Need something like the bottom one in this image.  The epoxy has yellowed over as the fly is pretty old.. ;)  This is the size I use in Montauk every year. It's 1.5"post-63756-0-42339200-1473099425.jpg

Edited by 27conch

post-53127-0-54917700-1473102854.jpegpost-53127-0-11808000-1473102794.jpeg All the Fleye foils work even taking the Sand eel foil and trimming will give you a nice anchovy. Or try wrapping paper ribbon foils , trim a little tab and tie in . Cover with some epoxy or resin. post-53127-0-49794900-1473103103.jpeg

Basic, small candies work very well when the fish are on small chovies at Harkers. Pink/white and White/tan are my favorite's when the bait has been small anchovies. If they are on snot bait then the only fly that I've gotten bites are on pearl or silver bodied candies with just touch of some white/translucent as a tail. 1-2inches.

post-39399-0-22075900-1473105489.jpg

post-39399-0-53207500-1473105534.jpg

This pattern will get completely ignored (by humans) but stripers love it. It's what I've been using as an anchovy fly for years. Sparse, impressionistic, and proven.

RLS Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous2

Length: 1-3"
Hook: Sized to length (this is a #1 Gamakatsu SC15)
Thread: Tan
Body: Yellow braid
Wing: 10 hairs white BT mixed with 10 hairs ginger BT, 1.5x hook length, under 10 hairs pink, 10 hairs ginger, 5 hairs apple green mixed, 2x hook length, under two strands yellow or root beer Krystal Flash, under 10 hairs tan, 5 hairs light grey, 4 hairs orange, 8 hairs olive, mixed, 2.5x hook length.
Eyes: Jungle cock

Steve Culton
Edited by The Fisherman

Nice looking flies and I appreciate all of the suggestions.

I noticed the really small naturals had almost like a pinkish red dot on their head.

Perhaps the gills are visible through the gill plate at that stage?

I plan to add that to a few I tie up.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

I was out yesterday and encountered a ton of anchovies.

We don't see them that often where I live and fish. Needless to say I was a bit unprepared.

The naturals I observed were various sizes. I've got some foils to imitate the large ones.

I'm interested in patterns that imitate the smaller one in the picture I attached.

Thanks for your help.

SF

That's why I love saltwater fly fishing ... the flies are totally "scalable" to the size of the main forage fish. And the surf candy design rules! Just Sayin'  :)

I know the topic is "small" anchovy files but in the northeast what is the size range for these bait fish, ie:  what size range of hooks do you tie anchovy patterns on?

Thx,

HT