jabster

Candymania!

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I was asking Jabster but thank you for the input. have you tried others? I'm not a huge fan of the brush.

I use Loon thick and Solarez Thick mostly. Tried most of the UV's on the market and those two are by far the best for me.. Haven't tried the Tufflfeye though. Need to get my hands on it.

Jabster, what hook are you using in those Mylar candies?

There's three types of hooks used on the mylar flies posted on this thread. Mustad c70sd, C68SNP-DT and a varivas 2600V. 

I was asking Jabster but thank you for the input. have you tried others? I'm not a huge fan of the brush.

I've used the CCG syringes and hated them--tried the thick, thin, and flex. I also have used the hydro, which is ok on thread wraps or small wingcases. I've been using CCG for 7 years now. The pro light is definitely a necessity in combination with the tack free line of product to get the best results. However, the most recent batch of TF Brushable has been curing somewhat yellow. I've toyed with Bug Bond and Loon but didn't like it as much as CCG. I think CCG is overpriced, but it's suited me well so far once I got on rhythm with the TF Brushable and Pro Light (until this yellowing). 

Edited by Intracoastal

So I'll try dipping the toes in and giving this a shot,  not as nice as some of those posted by I'm a newbie to the epoxy/UV scene, or tying for that matter.     The foil looking ones are from decals/foils I made myself.  Can't bring myself to spend the money on FlyeFoils or Deer Creek decals.  

HT

post-53496-0-17067000-1474727230.jpg

post-53496-0-17622400-1474727244.jpg

post-53496-0-24215300-1474727255.jpg

Asked a similar question elsewhere but figured I'd post it here as well.  

Does anyone use the two part  " U40 LS Supreme Hi-Build"  rod wrapping epoxy for making Candys ?    The stuff dries nicely to the touch in a few hours, doesn't yellow and levels out really well.   Seem like a natural to use.    Setup is similar to 30 minute epoxies.     I have a good amount left from a rod build and am thinking it might be an option but looking for opinions first.

Thx,

HT

Those with the JC sure do look cool. I used to make them like that as well. Remember tho that small baits have BIG features . The most distinct being the EYES. You really can't beat the foils with all the features of a natural bait in just one tying sequence. This was one I sent to a friend. post-53127-0-98891800-1476096920.pngpost-53127-0-32933300-1476096978.jpg

Those with the JC sure do look cool. I used to make them like that as well. Remember tho that small baits have BIG features . The most distinct being the EYES. You really can't beat the foils with all the features of a natural bait in just one tying sequence. This was one I sent to a friend. attachicon.gifIMG_3873.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_3123.JPG

Great shots Andrew!

I was watching the foil candy's in a school of bait fish in the crystal clear waters of the MED last week and they do blend in amazingly well. All our action were on candy's. Really satisfied on their durability too as we smashed them quite a few times against the boat... (: . I need to get one issue fixed with them and them I'm completely sold. The candy on the picture was very hard to destroy. WE had to break it with pliers to get it out of a 40lb Tuna's mouth to slide the hook out :)

post-39399-0-74907400-1476203184.jpg

Great shots Andrew!

.............. I need to get one issue fixed with them and them I'm completely sold. The candy on the picture was very hard to destroy. WE had to break it with pliers to get it out of a 40lb Tuna's mouth to slide the hook out :)

Pray tell, So what's the one issue you need to resolve?