kayakr

offseason east matunuck state beach access?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I believe that lot is open during the fall, although with the state of RI in charge u are never 100% sure from year to year. It's still a significant walk with gear from the western end of the lot to those houses near Deep Hole. You'd also be launching the yak into the surf vs. a calmer harbor at the pier past Jims dock  so that's a consideration. A little recon should answer the questions.

-bd

Over the years the beach lot has been accessible; however, at times surf conditions might make launching a kayak challenging. Launching at Jim's dock would work, but if deep Hole is your destination, the distance is a factor.

I'm paddling a surf kayak and its slow. If i can park, even carrying it to the little beach to the west if necessary would be easiler than from past the ocean mist on the matunuck side. I can usually launch into beach break between sets.

Every time I have been there during the winter the parking lot has been open. When does the beach "officially" close? I was thinking of taking  ride down there to pick up surf clams after this storm passes.

Good news. I tried to go to Matunuck Sat around 5PM to show my wife the surfers, but there wasn't any parking past the town beach. I'll be pleased not to contribute to the surf zoo when the swells are in town.

The beach closure is probably labor day. That's what I heard at the east beach gatehouse.