Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

FREE BUMP - read this

17 posts in this topic

It's not free - they count towards that thread's bumps...and if made in the first 24 hours the thread should be closed. These aren't discussion forums....if you aren't buying or selling you shouldn't be posting in the BST Forum threads. I don't care if it's a friend of yours, I don't care if it's a good deal or a good price - bumps aren't free, they all count...and yours could result in your buddy's thread being shut down and his item no longer being able to be sold here :read:

So please stop with the "free bumps"...the "great price" and any other type of "bump" - if it's not your thread - and you aren't buying/selling - you shouldn't be posting :wave:

It's in the rules :read:

TimS

It's not free - they count towards that thread's bumps...and if made in the first 24 hours the thread should be closed. These aren't discussion forums....if you aren't buying or selling you shouldn't be posting in the BST Forum threads. I don't care if it's a friend of yours, I don't care if it's a good deal or a good price - bumps aren't free, they all count...and yours could result in your buddy's thread being shut down and his item no longer being able to be sold here :read:

So please stop with the "free bumps"...the "great price" and any other type of "bump" - if it's not your thread - and you aren't buying/selling - you shouldn't be posting :wave:

It's in the rules :read:

TimS

Tim, I had to chime in here after seeing this thread.
You are absolutely right about this problem in the BST. Not only are the free bumps a problem , but I see so many comments being made in these threads from members that have zero interest in making a purchase, or just feel that they have to put there 2 cents in about something. I myself have seen a lack of respect in many of my own past WTS posts in the BST. I know my WTS posts in the BST sound somewhat unfriendly, but I feel that this seems to minimize a lot of the nonsense that I received in the past.

One suggestion I can make is maybe when a new member first signs up, Have a pop up come up on the screen that shows them the rules of your site. Have it set up where they MUST read the rules and then click on an AGREE button confirming that they read the rules. This will be the only way they can proceed signing up as a member in your site.

I know from my own experience when I hang a sticky on my desk or my door, after a week or 2, that sticky becomes invisible and part of the background. I just stop seeing it.......lololol. Just think how many non members lurk on SOL, including the BST forum, before actually signing on to be a member. By the time they sign up many times the rules are already invisible...haha....anyway, the site is great, and the rules are fair. Time to go fishing! :)

Edited by TimS

It's not free - they count towards that thread's bumps...and if made in the first 24 hours the thread should be closed. These aren't discussion forums....if you aren't buying or selling you shouldn't be posting in the BST Forum threads. I don't care if it's a friend of yours, I don't care if it's a good deal or a good price - bumps aren't free, they all count...and yours could result in your buddy's thread being shut down and his item no longer being able to be sold here :read: So please stop with the "free bumps"...the "great price" and any other type of "bump" - if it's not your thread - and you aren't buying/selling - you shouldn't be posting :wave: It's in the rules :read: TimS

this applies to the Wtt and wtb forums as well?

this applies to the Wtt and wtb forums as well?

The bumps? Yes...that's been part of the rules here for at least 7 years now. The new addition was the "free bump" thing as too many threads were being bumped too many times and sooner than they would be allowed by people posting "great price!" or "free bump" or "sweet plug!"....so those now may count towards the total "bumps" for a thread...so people aren't doing their friends any favors by adding "free bump" to their threads :o

TimS

How would you handle someone identifying an unknown builder? Would that meet the standard of a free bump set in your rule?

No - but questions should be asked in a different forum, like identifying an unknown plug..that said, when it happens in a thread here, I would say no - it wouldn't count as a free bump :)

TimS

Tim, can you bump before 24 hours if you drop the price or update the description?

When people drop the price by some ridiculous amount, it's pretty clear it's a bump...like dropping $100 item that has had zero interest by $5....that's a bump. Updated the description to add something like "these are really nice"...that's a bump :)

These forums are monitored by human beings ;)

TimS

When I'm finally finished repaired the database issues left by the folks that did the last site conversion and get the site on the next platform we want to move to, I'll make it so they can't use the BST Forum until they have read the rules and clicked the "I agree" box. Can't do it with this platform, but it's something I've wanted for a long time now :)

TimS