Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2016

Rate this topic

luckyOC

Fished AI Saturday and did fairly well given the dirty water. The wind kept the flies away. Ended up with a few kings, lots of sand perch, a spot, a doggie, and two skates. All caught on fishbite crab and spot chunks. Saved the kingfish heads for drum bait, hoping to make it back down the first weekend of October.

I went through a few fresh mullets and cut chunks all of last week and not one hit. Switched to fresh clam and nothing. Also had a third rod out with FBBW. Just as others had mentioned above, it's been a bust after the TS and there just seems to be no fish. Hopefully the others that are coming to AI this week have Better luck. Maybe try hitting the bay or inlet versus the AI surf probably catch more there right now.

Spent thurs-sun in north oc with most of the family (speedy recovery to salt roach) and lazily fished around the swimmers and flies.  Caught a mixed bag of sand perch, spot, kingfish, and skate on FBBW/sand flea.  Fleas were molting.  My grandfather did manage to snipe a double header of 15" pampano on thurs evening when the flies were at their worst.  He is the always the fishiest in our crew.

On thurs night there was something on the larger side busting baits beyond the breakers.  It seemed like a solitary fish skying baits almost like a king mack would.  Any thoughts on what it could have been?  Spanish?

post-31225-0-69338900-1473718728.jpg

On thurs night there was something on the larger side busting baits beyond the breakers.  It seemed like a solitary fish skying baits almost like a king mack would.  Any thoughts on what it could have been?  Spanish?

Some of the boats out of OC have seen some kingfish syking. Yes, kingfish as in king mackerel  :) . A few weeks ago I saw quite a few Spanish mackerel in the surf each evening as close as only 20-30 yards out. I wasn't fishing at the time though so I didn't try to catch them when I saw them. Tried targeting them one morning a few days later but no luck. The surf was loaded with bait when they were there. Was out surfing last night and saw some bait (silversides) but no Spanish mackerel on them.

John

Spent thurs-sun in north oc with most of the family (speedy recovery to salt roach) and lazily fished around the swimmers and flies.  Caught a mixed bag of sand perch, spot, kingfish, and skate on FBBW/sand flea.  Fleas were molting.  My grandfather did manage to snipe a double header of 15" pampano on thurs evening when the flies were at their worst.  He is the always the fishiest in our crew.

wow, nice didn't know pompano made it up this way.