luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2016

Rate this topic

322 posts in this topic

Back in the Heartland.  Rain all the way until I hit Ohio.  Was great to see everyone.  Fished my gubbers off but finally ended up with a 46, 49 as I posted earlier.  There was some drama behind the first one.  Tuesday water was like glass with light to no winds and a lovely sea grass smell coming off the water.  Found a spot with rolling swells which started a good ways out.  Anyhow set up and chunks were holding forever which was a first entire trip so the blues and crabs were gone.  Used tiny pieces of fresh bunker with long cast and a few small biters started to hit.  As I was winding my third shark in my other rod started to scream so I just let it run until I got the shark in.  Luckily it came unbuttoned so I walked over to the pulling rod.  I could see the spool so  I grabbed it expecting to yank a worn out biter in.  This felt different than anything I caught for 5 days.  Head shake and powerful weight.  I now knew what I had and started to panic.  Clamped down and inched back and wound a few feet of line until I got some back on the spool.   With the calm water that drum came to the surface at least 200 yds out and stayed on the surface all the way to beach tug o war entire time and multiple runs.  You know you got a fish when they come to the top.   All alone so I told Erik earlier iffin I got a fish I was gonna do a selfie.  That was at 1:30 and a second 49in  bull with even tougher fight came at 6:00.  Luckily WV Allen showed.  BTW can't wait see him post his fish he landed after I left.

Was a great time but with those high winds and rain forecast I bailed at just the right time.  Glad for all who caught.

Thanks for that Taylor Blue Marcus.  Just ate it.  If I knew I was coming home I would have a caught bunch to eat fresh.

Fish On!

Edited by Critter Gitter

Mtd35, Earl told me to tell you he was livid about that hole lol. WV Allen texted me when he caught it, I'm glad he got one he definitely put the time in. I was south of allen. Managed to stay out till midnight then the surf was becoming too angry to remain trying.

Mtd35, Earl told me to tell you he was livid about that hole lol. WV Allen texted me when he caught it, I'm glad he got one he definitely put the time in. I was south of allen. Managed to stay out till midnight then the surf was becoming too angry to remain trying.

That's funny, he stopped by and named it "double E" :D

Glad you guys found some fish.

We are without power in Greenbackville. Water was almost up to the Causeway when I left Chincoteague. Maddox blvd had a few inches of standing water in the low spot by the Roadside Inn.

My Dad's down there now and said it aint good. Couldnt even get into the marina which is usually part for the course. Found a leak in the roof too. Hope he gets that figured out and fixed before Matthew gets here next weekend.

batten down the hatches and hang on. Don't know any of you folk but if your dog gets washed into the angry surf, please don't go after it. Usually the dog comes out and the people who went in to save it don't. On a brighter note, I bet the storm will make for some interesting structure on the beach!

So...........any of you guys that are more in touch with the situation down there care to take a guess when AI will open back up? Was planing on coming down Saturday morning, ain't looking good is it... 

I am going to go down and take a hike in the osv zone today, doubt it will be opened as there were 2 very narrow sections before the blow....never know though....hope it does open while the sand fleas are still molting..

post-2389-0-33652900-1475233249.jpg

The molt is always indicative of a good bite, note Wednesdays catches (numerous)......the jelly fleas cannot burrow when soft so are helpless until their exoskeleton has hardened and so are gobbled up by the drum.

WOW, I was camping and catching bait on the " H " loop zone on the state park but we pull one day early because the rain/storm report I was not happy from the camp site packing up  to all the way home but it looks to be that was a good choice ( done by wife ) IF it was for Me I will still be there not sure if the tent will survive but I wait for long time to set a camp on AI and pulling a day early because a storm is not my choice but sometime you have to go with the flow and take the advice from the wife  :stick:  :argue:  

Congrats to everyone who has gotten a red, and glad to see that the old guy from Ohio got a nice pair.

I've been staying up north chasing albies and sissy fish. But, I feel compelled to tell you guys a little story of woe, at least, I think I'm ready to talk about it.

So, a couple weeks ago I was fishing some great water with a lot of current and tons of big boulders. The technique was throwing 3oz bucktails and letting them swing behind the boulders and into the eddy breaks where the bass were laying. I was doing ok with a mixed bag of stripers. Then it happened, I set the hook and it didn't move. For a split second I thought I snagged the boulder, then the massive head shakes started. I was testing out a century tuna popping rod with my Z27 strapped to it, so I was prepared for large. For 10 minutes I leaned on this fish with all I could safely manage. She would shake her head and kind of swim around behind the boulder, but never left the safety of that eddy. I was in complete focus and ready to battle as long as needed to bring this girl in. Then nothing! She won, the hook pulled. All I could do was hang my head and stare at the water, wondering what sort of beast was out there that I was unable to budge. There is no doubt it was the "sissy fish" that I've spent so many hours trying to find. Though I am grateful to have felt the power of this magnificent beast, I fear she will haunt my dreams forever. Next time big girl, next time.

Edited by martzy

So...........any of you guys that are more in touch with the situation down there care to take a guess when AI will open back up? Was planing on coming down Saturday morning, ain't looking good is it... 

Tons of flooding.  My guess, AI ORV will be closed all weekend.

I've got a f'n olympic size swimming pool in my front yard, and I'm doing better than most.   :laugh: