luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - September 2016

Rate this topic

322 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it?  ;)

Its Drumtember!  Lets hope we have more chances to fish than not....

I fished AI every day last week.  With the usual summer mix of croakers, kingfish, bluefish, spot and sand perch.  I lost my 4x4 a few years ago and don't get to the Island much unless I am tagging along with a buddy.  Friday August 26th was our last day.  We had been catching kingfish, spot and sand perch at will.  I had 2 bait rods out, a 10 ft 2-5 ounce rod with a cheap penn 4000 series set up for cut bait for bluefish and then 12ft heaver with a penn 525 I was rigging with heads for some pullage.  The 10 ft had 17lb test on it from last season, I didn't feel the need to put new on because I knew what is was going to used for and 20lb leader to 5/0 J hook. It had a small 1 1/2-2 inch chunk of perch on it.  Well of course that is the rod this one hit.  At first hit, it slacked up and I reeled her tight and set the hook.  It was steady moving north and felt like a southern to me.  After about 3-4 minutes I felt the first head shakes and looked at my buddy and said this is a real fish. 4-5 minutes later I got my first look at it about 25 yards of the beach and my heart about exploded through my chest and I went into full go mode.  I had my dad and bro in law with me, neither who have done hardly and surf fishing so I was on my own with less than ideal gear. The beach was steep and  there was a severe lip.  It took 3 trips in the wash and 25 minutes before we were able to capture it.  It was 47 1/2.  I took it out belly button deep and revived it for 2-3 minutes and it swam off.  It took 10 years of trying with many trips spring/fall to Hatteras and to AI to get my first from shore and having my family there to witness it was awesome. I can't imagine there ever being a sweeter one.

post-24281-0-14998300-1472739370.jpg

Great job Whacker! Way to get it done early and before all these storms we're now getting. These last couple years it's been more STORMtember than Drumtember. Hoping for some calm and open beaches next week.

Awesome work, great picture. What a great birthday present for me, seeing the first red of the season.

40 down and hopefully at least 40 more years.