KenY

Toaster Oven and Hooks

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Most toaster ovens are so small that the bend of the hooks are really close to the heating elements when using one to cure powder paint..  

Is there an issue with the heating element in a toaster weakening hooks that makes them bend easier ???

No idea, but after looking at your avatar for quite a while I noticed she has a fish charm on her necklace.....

She wore that necklace just for mee that night.

I haven't had an issue with hooks weakening but I have had an issue where the coating on the hooks (Mustad Duratin) is compromised if they get too hot.  They look either tarnished or rough and will rust much more easily.

I haven't had an issue with hooks weakening but I have had an issue where the coating on the hooks (Mustad Duratin) is compromised if they get too hot.  They look either tarnished or rough and will rust much more easily.

Tin has a melting temperature of 450 degrees F.  "Duration" is just tin plating so if it gets too hot the plating will discolor.  I doubt it compromises the strength of the hook itself.

Tin has a melting temperature of 450 degrees F. "Duration" is just tin plating so if it gets too hot the plating will discolor. I doubt it compromises the strength of the hook itself.

Thats why some of my jig hooks look brown! Son of a gun! You learn something new everyday!

Thats why some of my jig hooks look brown! Son of a gun! You learn something new everyday!

What are you doing to get your hooks that hot? If you have a bad/incomplete pour, do you try to melt the lead off and pour with that hook again?

That would be the only way I can think of whwere the hook would come close to that high of a temp.

What are you doing to get your hooks that hot? If you have a bad/incomplete pour, do you try to melt the lead off and pour with that hook again?

That would be the only way I can think of whwere the hook would come close to that high of a temp.

Its not that they are brown but they look tarnished. I have small toaster oven that I use to cure my jigs in. So when I'm heating them to paint then cure the bends of the hooks are near the heating element.

The hook steel is heated red hot during the manufacturing process. Then it is quenched to crash cool the hooks. This makes the steel "hard" Then the steel goes through what is known as the "Drawing" or annealing process. The steel is heated to a temperature in the 3 to 500 degree range and then left to cool naturally on it's own. This draws back the hardness so the steel is not brittle. Then the hooks are cleaned up for point of purchase.

When you are heating your hooks you are taking the hook steel back up into that drawing or annealing range. Just don't get them "red hot" and you should be fine. The "tarnished" look you can do nothing about unless you want to re-polish each hook.