Icepants

Ling and Gulph No Love

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I took a ling trip on a pb this past week. I needed a change of pace from fluking. On this trip I started fishing using Gulph 3" swimming mullets and got very little love. I switch after sometime to fresh clam and the feeding bell was rung. I have in past trips had ling jump all over the Gulph  and clearly outfished those using clam. But I do have a trip or two where Gulph just doesn't seem to work for some unexplained reason. I try to factor in the wiggles of the boat where you can swing into a "honey hole" and you catch and the guy next to you can't buy a hit or the other way around. Just wondering the Gulph no love event has happened to others.

Thanks - Ice

It does seem to vary from day to day, for all species. Sometimes fish are absolutely crazy for Gulp, the next day bait will outfish it 5 to 1. I'm actually starting to use less Gulp, because bait is cheaper. For the price of one pack of Gulp you can get two boxes of squid or several dozen minnows. Or you can catch your own for free.

I've always had better success with clam over gulp when linging or seabassing.  As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats fresh clam. If you have **** 3 year old salted clams, gulp may beat it. I've seen guys catch them with gulp but they're usually always tipping it with a piece of clam too so why not just use all clam and save the 50 bucks you spend in gulp after seabass bite the tails off or they are destroyed after two fish?

Fluke is a different story though. Gulp has its time and place. What boat did you fish?

I've always had better success with clam over gulp when linging or seabassing.  As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats fresh clam. If you have **** 3 year old salted clams, gulp may beat it. I've seen guys catch them with gulp but they're usually always tipping it with a piece of clam too so why not just use all clam and save the 50 bucks you spend in gulp after seabass bite the tails off or they are destroyed after two fish?

Fluke is a different story though. Gulp has its time and place. What boat did you fish?

Fished a boat out of Point Pleasant on Channel Drive.The one that does a lot of Tilefishing Wanted to do this one because it was the last ling marathon for the year. Fished in about 200 feet of water on real sticky stuff. If you could stand rigging you got fish. Some real nice Yellowtail flounders came up. But none for me. I had 20 or so ling that I gave away to guy that had the donut.I don't eat fish but love catching those sewer trout. Did better with a single hook rig less to snag bottom with than a double. I don't mind loosing rigs, I tie my own. It's loosing the sinkers that hurt! A trip like that hurts some fares. The ones that don't make their own rigs. The boat charged $3.00 for double rig plus the cost of sinkers. Loose 6 or more rigs it adds up. The one good thing about the trip only one silver eel came up. I hate those things! Some say they are good to eat if smoked. You can have all of mine if you unhook them for me!!@

Fished a boat out of Point Pleasant on Channel Drive.The one that does a lot of Tilefishing Wanted to do this one because it was the last ling marathon for the year. Fished in about 200 feet of water on real sticky stuff. If you could stand rigging you got fish. Some real nice Yellowtail flounders came up. But none for me. I had 20 or so ling that I gave away to guy that had the donut.I don't eat fish but love catching those sewer trout. Did better with a single hook rig less to snag bottom with than a double. I don't mind loosing rigs, I tie my own. It's loosing the sinkers that hurt! A trip like that hurts some fares. The ones that don't make their own rigs. The boat charged $3.00 for double rig plus the cost of sinkers. Loose 6 or more rigs it adds up. The one good thing about the trip only one silver eel came up. I hate those things! Some say they are good to eat if smoked. You can have all of mine if you unhook them for me!!@

Gotcha.  I bet you were on the gulhune. He loves that drop. It's covered in nets so it's tough to fish but it's a good drop. I actually fished it a few weeks ago on my boat and did pretty good. You have to shift around it until you find a part of it that's not so snaggy.

That sucks about all of the rigs and breaking out in 215 feet of water is a pain too. At least you had 20. Yellowtail flounder or winter flounder?  Haven't heard a yellowtail being caught in years.

Were there lots of congos?

Gotcha.  I bet you were on the gulhune. He loves that drop. It's covered in nets so it's tough to fish but it's a good drop. I actually fished it a few weeks ago on my boat and did pretty good. You have to shift around it until you find a part of it that's not so snaggy.

That sucks about all of the rigs and breaking out in 215 feet of water is a pain too. At least you had 20. Yellowtail flounder or winter flounder?  Haven't heard a yellowtail being caught in years.

Were there lots of congos?

The first drop there was a eel  problem but the the drops after a few wiggles  were ok. I didn't think of nets, but I did think I was getting dead line snags. I would crank up about 10' and got snagged. A net would explained that. As for the flounder I couldn't tell the diff between YT and WF but some were small keeper fluke size. I would say there was about 15 on the boat with some having the 2 fish limit.

My fishing buddy loves gulp products for bottom fishing. Its gulp or nothing for him. He has had some good trips enough for him to use it exclusively. On a recent trip fishing was slow. But there he was out fishing all of us. I cant say if its the magic lure/bait out there. But you are not wasting time using gulp. It is a proven product that will give you more productive days than no love days...

I was on one of those magic gulp days for cbass in June; outfished clammers by a HUGE margin. 25+ keepers in a row, with a few true knuckleheads mixed in. 1oz jig + swimming mullet did the trick, my cousin used 1.5oz and not a bite...clams accounted for shorts and doggies all day. 

Usually I get outfished by fresh clams, but if I'm not jigging I'm not fishing so I stick to gulp. 

Those are winter flounder. You will not find yellowtail flounder on reefs, wrecks or rock piles. They are in the sand, along with the scallops during the colder months off jersey.