aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

958 posts in this topic

Thank you all for this informational and educational post. I have picked Berkley prospec 30 [metered] and 40lb [white] for my saltiga and in love with it. Cast well and durable. I have bad experience with Diawa J braid [x8 or grand] with wind knots and durability [ fraying up so easy]. The only down side with the Prospec metered is the waxy smell and more stiff than the white one. I recently had a chance to experiece the Nomad Pandora braid in 20lb, cast and feel great. Does any body has experience on those? They advertised for super abrasion resistance. Those maybe good for jetty or jigging in the reef. 

On 7/6/2020 at 6:20 PM, aquaholik said:

If you are slow pitching, then there is no reason to cast. And if there is no reason to cast, then you should really be using a PR knot. 

I took your advice and decided I'd give the PR knot a shot. I bought a bobbin off amazon and gave it a shot. First completed knot looked decent (pictured below) except the ugly finishing I put on it. 

I found that if I put a small loop at the end of the main line and put it around my finger it would prevent the line from twisting. 

I struggled to get the braid wrap back on top after the first pass of wraps.

20200712-212759.jpg

15 mins ago, Shallowminded31 said:

I took your advice and decided I'd give the PR knot a shot. I bought a bobbin off amazon and gave it a shot. First completed knot looked decent (pictured below) except the ugly finishing I put on it. 

I found that if I put a small loop at the end of the main line and put it around my finger it would prevent the line from twisting. 

I struggled to get the braid wrap back on top after the first pass of wraps.

20200712-212759.jpg

Make sure you load test it to at least 50 % of the labeled test. PR knot grips very slowly unlike FG knot which grabs and locks quickly. This will eliminate any creeping. Then you can finish the the knot however you like.

47 mins ago, Shallowminded31 said:

Is there some sort of length required? Maybe a certain length per size or???

Yes but proper lead in is very important. This is the best example of a proper PR Knot. In trying to achieve 100% knot strength a proper lead in shown in the video below is very important. In other words, you can't simply wrap up tightly and wrap down tightly. The initial widely spaced and shallow angle entry is key to a strong PR knot. If I simply tight wrap up and tight wrap down without the initial wide gap, it's only as strong as an FG knot.

There's really no wrong way to do an FG knot but there are MANY wrong way to tie a PR knot as evidenced by YouTube. Hand tied PR knot doesn't work. It mimic the wraps up and wraps down but it doesn't do it properly or correctly. Length varies with line diameter but typically, it needs a minimum of 2 inch. Longer is stronger but you don't really want 100% strength IF your leader is stronger than your main line and there's any chance of hanging up on the bottom.

Thank, I didnt realize that. I had wrapped them tight up and down. I'll redo it like described. 

Wonder why that would make a difference in strength? Line bites harder into the mainline?

I imagine it would stretch a bit more that way before preload 

42 mins ago, Shallowminded31 said:

Thank, I didnt realize that. I had wrapped them tight up and down. I'll redo it like described. 

Wonder why that would make a difference in strength? Line bites harder into the mainline?

I imagine it would stretch a bit more that way before preload 

It has to do with what happens when you pull on the line. The near parallel entry as opposed to a 90 degrees angle (if you simply barrel wrap the beginning part), makes for a gradual and slow gripping that travels thru the entire knot. It's a slow gradual lock that allows it to reach the full potential of an unknotted line. Look up bobbin finish FG knot if you want a shorter knot than a PR knot yet still test around 90%. Same concept here:

A little neat trick on figuring how much line you just spooled on to your reel.

Background: making sure I'm not getting ripped off when buying 1500 yds of bulk spool from Ebay.

So I know how much an empty spool of Fireline 10lbs weigh by of course weighing the empty spool and it's 170 grams. The full spool I received weighs 237 grams so I received 67 grams of line. Divided that by the length of the line in feet (1500 yds = 4500 feet) and that means 67000 mg/4500 ft = 14.89 mg/ft. I weigh 10 ft of line and got 14 mg/ft so that means either my scale is off by 6% or I received 1595 yds of line. Either way it's close enough and I feel safe I'm not getting ripped off.

So to find out how much line you just spooled on to your reel, FIRST weigh the empty spool of your reel or with backing if you decide to add mono backing. Then weigh it after you put desired amount of line on it. Subtract the amount and consult the dropbox chart in this thread and look for the line mass columns.

Example: you just spooled 7 grams of Fireline Crystal 10 lbs.

7000mg divided 14 mg/ft = 500 ft of line or 167 yds.

3 hours ago, aquaholik said:

A little neat trick on figuring how much line you just spooled on to your reel.

Background: making sure I'm not getting ripped off when buying 1500 yds of bulk spool from Ebay.

So I know how much an empty spool of Fireline 10lbs weigh by of course weighing the empty spool and it's 170 grams. The full spool I received weighs 237 grams so I received 67 grams of line. Divided that by the length of the line in feet (1500 yds = 4500 feet) and that means 67000 mg/4500 ft = 14.89 mg/ft. I weigh 10 ft of line and got 14 mg/ft so that means either my scale is off by 6% or I received 1595 yds of line. Either way it's close enough and I feel safe I'm not getting ripped off.

So to find out how much line you just spooled on to your reel, FIRST weigh the empty spool of your reel or with backing if you decide to add mono backing. Then weigh it after you put desired amount of line on it. Subtract the amount and consult the dropbox chart in this thread and look for the line mass columns.

Example: you just spooled 7 grams of Fireline Crystal 10 lbs.

7000mg divided 14 mg/ft = 500 ft of line or 167 yds.

Not the first time you have been my hero. Thanks for this, it will be very useful

On 7/8/2020 at 3:41 PM, aquaholik said:

Did another test with 8 strands J Braid 20 lbs(ABS 39lbs)  to 30 lbs Suffix Superior(ABS 48 lbs). Again I left a very long tag thinking the knot will slip. I swear it started to slip at around 14 lbs but recovered and grab the mono at close to 19 lbs before breaking. I did the ABS test just to find out it's knot strength. Pretty looking and well formed worm knot but still breaks below 50%.

Damn scientific tests! Lol

So when I test this, 10lb 832 and 20 lb yozuri leader. 10-12 wraps.  Surgeon loops on opposite ends and slowly pull until something gives, the braid breaks every time. Problems with 12 wraps you really have to pay attention to cinching it down and it is a bit of a pain and I could have tied an FG by then..