aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

920 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Quick question...

On Berkley fireline 8, when using a FG knot to say 8lb will the FG knot be strong enough so the leader would brake before the knot its self?

Am I wrong on thinking I could almost use any braid since the knot strength even at 70% will still be stronger 

then the 6 lb or 8 lb Flourocarbon leaders that I'm using????

Edited by Yumeya

1 hour ago, Yumeya said:

Quick question...

On Berkley fireline 8, when using a FG knot to say 8lb will the FG knot be strong enough so the leader would brake before the knot its self?

Am I wrong on thinking I could almost use any braid since the knot strength even at 70% will still be stronger 

then the 6 lb or 8 lb Flourocarbon leaders that I'm using????

Yes for sure...if you can get the FG knot to hold on 8lb flurocarbon.

2 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Hey Aquaholik,

First, as many have already done, I'd like to commend you on such thorough and useful work. I haven't paid much attention to this kind of stuff until recently while trying to choose an offshore line.

Now for my question...I understand the concept you use here, utilizing the mass of the line to determine strength. I am looking for an optimal combination of line diameter and strength, as I'm sure many are. There is quite a difference in actual/measured line diameter vs manufacturer's stated diameter. I've read (and am by no means an expert or even knowledgeable on this subject), but I have read that some lines when woven are not actually cylindrical in shape on cross section, but can take on a square shape, or even oval. This is certainly not a negative critique on your technique here, and I apologize if this has been covered already, but could this account for the differences between stated and actual line diameters as you calculate the diameter based on a cylindrical shape?

Thanks again for putting this together

Yes, braid line can take on whatever shape you squeeze or mold it into. The difference between stated diameter and derived diameter is because the stated diameter is often the thinnest section of the line when measured with a micrometer. If you measure an oval line, would you state the thinnest or thickest section if you are the marketing department?

Now take that oval line and thread it into a round cylinder. The smallest cylinder that will accommodate that oval line is the derived diameter.

21 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Yes, braid line can take on whatever shape you squeeze or mold it into. The difference between stated diameter and derived diameter is because the stated diameter is often the thinnest section of the line when measured with a micrometer. If you measure an oval line, would you state the thinnest or thickest section if you are the marketing department?

Now take that oval line and thread it into a round cylinder. The smallest cylinder that will accommodate that oval line is the derived diameter.

Got it. Thanks. Was just getting a little confused By the different numbers when trying to estimate the amount of given line I’d be able to get on a certain reel

Just to make sure the derived diameters are in the ball park, I wrapped those lines 20 times around the metal post on the line tester and measured the width of those 20 wraps and divided by 20. Of course the width depends on how tightly you push those wrap lines together. I measured them in a relaxed zero gap state and I measured it again where I push the line tightly together. The average agrees with the derived diameter. Once again proving that you can't really measure braid since it is oval most of the time and derivation is quick and easy and precise enough.