aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

888 posts in this topic

Quick test on wwen sample of 65 lbs Berkeley Pro Spec. Pretty much identical to Nick's white sample and this one is also white.

 

One test of each

ABS 102.80 lbs

Line Mass 42.90 mg ---> diameter = .458 mm

FG knot strength to 80 lbs Suffix Mono = 66.30 lb or about 65%

 

Use the line heavily and send me the used sample. I want to see if it really drops 40% like Nick's sample.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

27 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Quick test on wwen sample of 65 lbs Berkeley Pro Spec. Pretty much identical to Nick's white sample and this one is also white.

 

One test of each

ABS 102.80 lbs

Line Mass 42.90 mg ---> diameter = .458 mm

FG knot strength to 80 lbs Suffix Mono = 66.30 lb or about 65%

 

Use the line heavily and send me the used sample. I want to see if it really drops 40% like Nick's sample.

A shop actually gave me this sample to test. I do not have any reels spooled with this or own the spool of line. Most likely I’ll go with Prospec 65lb metered because only metered comes in 1500 yd spool size, unless 65lb yozuri superbraid is better. According to my phone call to Berkley, Prospec white and metered is the same line. I’ve sent you the 20lb Metered Prospec and I will send you the 65lb Prospec metered when I get it.

Edited by wwen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spoke to Yozuri yesterday. They were setback from the hurricane but will be sending 10yd samples of 50,65, & 80lb Superbraid to you.

Edited by wwen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 mins ago, wwen said:

A shop actually gave me this sample to test. I do not have any reels spooled with this or own the spool of line. Most likely I’ll go with Prospec 65lb metered because only metered comes in 1500 yd spool size, unless 65lb yozuri superbraid is better. According to my phone call to Berkley, Prospec white and metered is the same line. I’ve sent you the 20lb Metered Prospec and I will send you the 65lb Prospec metered when I get it.

Go with the Pro Spec. Only Maxcuatro and Pro Spec has high S/W ratio for line that are labeled 50-80 lbs. Pro Spec 65 lbs will be a hair thinner than Maxcuatro 80 lbs with nearly identical ABS and FG knot strength but Pro Spec is a much softer line. Very rare if you scan my chart to get line that has S/W of 2.2-2.4 when that line is at least 50 lbs test. It means they are using the same high grade Spectra that they used in their lower test. 4 times the material of the 10 lbs test but only charging twice as much or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Go with the Pro Spec. Only Maxcuatro and Pro Spec has high S/W ratio for line that are labeled 50-80 lbs. Pro Spec 65 lbs will be a hair thinner than Maxcuatro 80 lbs with nearly identical ABS and FG knot strength but Pro Spec is a much softer line. Very rare if you scan my chart to get line that has S/W of 2.2-2.4 when that line is at least 50 lbs test. It means they are using the same high grade Spectra that they used in their lower test. 4 times the material of the 10 lbs test but only charging twice as much or less.

I was thinking 50lb Yozuri Superbraid (S/W=2.29 abs 81lb) over the 50lb Prospec (S/W=2.22 abs 71.9lb) for my Saltiga 5000 w/80lb fluoro. And 65lb Berkley Prospec over the 65lb Yozuri Superbraid for Saltiga Exp 5500 w/100lb fluoro. It was disappointing to see how much the Yozuri 65lb dropped off compared to <50lb lines. I always prefer the best line but Yozuri Superbraid is a bargain. From what I've seen 3000 yd of it is almost same price as 1500 yd of Prospec.

Edited by wwen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes,

I forgot that super cheap Yozuri Super Braid has S/W similar to Maxcuatro at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Absolute best buy for sure and the FG knot strength is respectable also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, wwen said:

Spoke to Yozuri yesterday. They were setback from the hurricane but will be sending 10yd samples of 50,65, & 80lb Superbraid to you.

I'll have more time next week to test your lines and fg knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/7/2019 at 3:29 PM, aquaholik said:

I'll have more time next week to test your lines and fg knots.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your efforts Lee and insight that they bring.

Edited by wwen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aquaholik said:

Got the sample from Yozuri. You still can't receive PM. Need to post more. 

Yeah I couldn’t find the PM function. I’m really interested in if the 50lb Yozuri is the same quality as the other sample because I am about Order 3000 yd of it soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results are in the dropbox chart. Basically the same S/W for the 50 and 65 lbs. Short version, use the 50 lbs. The 80 lbs S/W came in close to 2.0. So it is still a great line for that line class and especially at the cheap price Yozuri is selling. No FG knot tests done since the ABS test shows nearly identical results from last batch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Results are in the dropbox chart. Basically the same S/W for the 50 and 65 lbs. Short version, use the 50 lbs. The 80 lbs S/W came in close to 2.0. So it is still a great line for that line class and especially at the cheap price Yozuri is selling. No FG knot tests done since the ABS test shows nearly identical results from last batch.

 

Very interesting results. Seems at least the braid is somewhat consistent. Will go 50lb yozuri 65lb Prospec. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, aquaholik said:

I normally buy the 150 yds spool and test fish with it. Then I buy bulk spool so I can just add mono backing and fill it to capacity. No guessing, no waste. It helps if you have two identical reels for spooling 150 yds with backing. Spool one reel with 150 yds braid then add mono backing until spool is full. Then on the intended reel, reverse the process to get perfect filled spool with the right amount of backing and exactly 150 yds of braid.

 

On 9/3/2019 at 5:45 PM, Sir Defyable said:

Well gosh darn this is a good idea, problem is I can justify purchasing reels in pairs now... The Mrs will not be happy:laugh:

Going to spool my Penn Conflict 2 4000 LC w/ 8lb Diawa J Braid 8 Grand. Unfortunaly I do not own two of thse identical reels. What I do have are two much larger spinning reels w/ empty spools.

Here's what I'm thinking, please tell me if you think this will work.

  • Spool the 300yds of the J Braid 8 Grand on the Penn target reel.
  • Top off the spool w/ 20 lb Power Pro or some other heavier braid.  Now the backing will be on top.
  • Transfer all of that on to 1st large empty spinning reel. Now the backin will be on bottom / inside of spool.
  • Transfer all of that onto second large empty spinning reel. Now backing will agan be on outside / top of reels spool.
  • Now tie good arbor knot onto Penn (target reel) and spool all of it back on to the Penn Conflict. Now, if my thinking is correct, the heavier backing will be on bottom / underneath, and the 300 yds of J Braid will be on top / outside where it should be.

Does this sound right? Anything I'm missing? Any better suggestions?

Respectfully,

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.