aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

895 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey,

i believe you received the samples I directly mailed contains Prospec 20lb metered, J-Braid 30lb, Seaguar 50# (used), JB HC 40# (used), Prospec 50-80lb white and a number of other lines.

Did you also receive 10yd samples mailed directly from Yozuri containing 50,65,80 lb superbraid? 

Edited by wwen

Also, What would be your go to for a 50lb braid? And 65lb braid? will be spooling a Saltiga 5000 & Saltiga Expedition 5500 used for topwater casting for tuna , pelagics and reef fish

50lb w/80lb fluoro and 65lb w/100lb fluoro. Looking for high abs, Fg knot strength, low wind knot chance, and castability.

Edited by wwen

5 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I have found the J Braid Grand 8lb in Chartreuse to be a great line on that reel.

And here's the nanofil catcher:

793B8F6A-05DF-46FE-AA85-4DC7D4BFCA05.jpeg

5 hours ago, aquaholik said:

No, it's a soft line. Jbraid Grand 8 in 8lbs should be an excellent choice. Very high S/D ratio line. 

Thanks again for all of your help!

Aquaholic & Sir Defyable please check your texts.

Now I finally totally ready to order Diawa J Braid Grand 8 in 8lbs for the Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000.

Penn lists spool capacity of 260 yds for 15 lb braid & 205 yds of 8 lb mono. Trying to figure out how much line to purchase. I'm considering buying a 150 yard and a 300 yard spool. I'd put entire 150 yards on, the spice in the 300 and fill the spool. I'd keep any left over to fill in for wear or lost line.

Does that sound logical?

Is there a better idea?

JD

5 hours ago, wwen said:

Hey,

i believe you received the samples I directly mailed contains Prospec 20lb metered, J-Braid 30lb, Seaguar 50# (used), JB HC 40# (used), Prospec 50-80lb white and a number of other lines.

Did you also receive 10yd samples mailed directly from Yozuri containing 50,65,80 lb superbraid? 

Didn't get anything from Yozuri. Got your mail. Will do some testing this week. I got great deal on Pro Spec 50lbs but I don't do a lot of casting with it. That's on my Catalina 5000 for Tarpon and grouper.

4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks again for all of your help!

Aquaholic & Sir Defyable please check your texts.

Now I finally totally ready to order Diawa J Braid Grand 8 in 8lbs for the Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000.

Penn lists spool capacity of 260 yds for 15 lb braid & 205 yds of 8 lb mono. Trying to figure out how much line to purchase. I'm considering buying a 150 yard and a 300 yard spool. I'd put entire 150 yards on, the spice in the 300 and fill the spool. I'd keep any left over to fill in for wear or lost line.

Does that sound logical?

Is there a better idea?

JD

I normally buy the 150 yds spool and test fish with it. Then I buy bulk spool so I can just add mono backing and fill it to capacity. No guessing, no waste. It helps if you have two identical reels for spooling 150 yds with backing. Spool one reel with 150 yds braid then add mono backing until spool is full. Then on the intended reel, reverse the process to get perfect filled spool with the right amount of backing and exactly 150 yds of braid.

21 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Didn't get anything from Yozuri. Got your mail. Will do some testing this week. I got great deal on Pro Spec 50lbs but I don't do a lot of casting with it. That's on my Catalina 5000 for Tarpon and grouper.

Hmm I see I’ll contact Yozuri again about the samples.  Looking forward to seeing the results on samples I sent you.

Curious to hear your opinion Given cost is not much of a factor, 50lb w/80lb fluoro and 65lb w/100lb fluoro. Looking for high abs, Fg knot strength, low wind knot chance, and castability. What would be your go to braid(s) for a 50lb braid? And 65lb braid? will be spooling Saltiga 5000 & Saltiga Expedition 5500 used for topwater casting for tuna , pelagics and reef fish. 

Edited by wwen

19 hours ago, aquaholik said:

I normally buy the 150 yds spool and test fish with it. Then I buy bulk spool so I can just add mono backing and fill it to capacity. No guessing, no waste. It helps if you have two identical reels for spooling 150 yds with backing. Spool one reel with 150 yds braid then add mono backing until spool is full. Then on the intended reel, reverse the process to get perfect filled spool with the right amount of backing and exactly 150 yds of braid.

Well gosh darn this is a good idea, problem is I can justify purchasing reels in pairs now... The Mrs will not be happy:laugh:

On 9/2/2019 at 10:03 PM, aquaholik said:

9 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Well gosh darn this is a good idea, problem is I can justify purchasing reels in pairs now... The Mrs will not be happy:laugh:

Exactly.

It’s a genius idea, if one has an extra identical reel.

Unfortunately that’s not possible or practical for me.

I believe there is a mathematical equation that can help calculate volume of recommended amount of a certain line diameter, then calculate the volume of preferred line. From there I’d guess one might even be able to calculate how much line of a certain diameter w/ x amount of backing of a certain diameter. Unfortuntaly math is my Achilles heel.

Someone should  write a program to help calculate that.

Until then, mathematically challenged like myself will have to guess, buy bulk spools, or deal w/ splices.

I know that if one has a line winder setup w/ empty spools, one can do similar to what aqua has suggested but w/ a couple extra steps. 

I’ll just deal w/ a splice 150-200 yes in.

Thanks every one!

JD

On 9/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, Sir Defyable said:

I have found the J Braid Grand 8lb in Chartreuse to be a great line on that reel.

And here's the nanofil catcher:

793B8F6A-05DF-46FE-AA85-4DC7D4BFCA05.jpeg

This may sound like a really dumb question.  I did notice some colors tested & measured  out differently.

Is there any reason for identifying chartreuse specifically?   

JD

33 mins ago, jjdbike said:

This may sound like a really dumb question.  I did notice some colors tested & measured  out differently.

Is there any reason for identifying chartreuse specifically?   

JD

I put the color down since some line do measure differently depending on the color. Fireline Original Black 10 lbs for some reason just have lower FG knot strength than Fireline Crystal even though the strength of the materials is very similar.

2 hours ago, aquaholik said:

I put the color down since some line do measure differently depending on the color. Fireline Original Black 10 lbs for some reason just have lower FG knot strength than Fireline Crystal even though the strength of the materials is very similar.

Thanks, that’s what I figured.

Would you like me to send you a sample of  my line?

JD

19 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks, that’s what I figured.

Would you like me to send you a sample of  my line?

JD

Backlog at the moment. Repainting the house, redoing the patio, etc.

11 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I believe there is a mathematical equation that can help calculate volume of recommended amount of a certain line diameter, then calculate the volume of preferred line. From there I’d guess one might even be able to calculate how much line of a certain diameter w/ x amount of backing of a certain diameter. Unfortuntaly math is my Achilles heel.

Someone should  write a program to help calculate that.

There's a bunch of tools like that, I use this one with good results.

https://www.pattayafishing.net/advanced-fishing-reel-line-capacity-estimator/

Note that "first section of line" is somewhat inaccurately worded, it doesn't matter whether it's first or last.

"First section of line" just refers to the known length of line you want to spool on the reel, which is usually the braid.

So you'd put the braid's data as "first section" even though it's actually the last section.

If you need to convert between meters and yards, or millimeters and inches, Google will do this for you.

Searching "300 yd to m" will return 274.32 meters, "0.20mm to in" will return 0.00787 inches etc.

Edited by jcberg

15 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Backlog at the moment. Repainting the house, redoing the patio, etc.

Understood.

15 hours ago, jcberg said:

There's a bunch of tools like that, I use this one with good results.

https://www.pattayafishing.net/advanced-fishing-reel-line-capacity-estimator/

Note that "first section of line" is somewhat inaccurately worded, it doesn't matter whether it's first or last.

"First section of line" just refers to the known length of line you want to spool on the reel, which is usually the braid.

So you'd put the braid's data as "first section" even though it's actually the last section.

If you need to convert between meters and yards, or millimeters and inches, Google will do this for you.

Searching "300 yd to m" will return 274.32 meters, "0.20mm to in" will return 0.00787 inches etc.

Thanks!

JD