aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

895 posts in this topic

Why 6-7 lbs of drag in open water. You said Spanish are small. A 24 inch Spanish Mackerel is 4lbs.

 

6lbs fireline is strong but inconsistent. I think the line is not uniform... with thin and thick section. Very inconsistent ABS and it reflects in inconsistent FG knot strength. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Aqua,

So it seems spooling w Gliss, Samuari, 18 or even 24, I'll loose FG & casting strength, lose .001 - .003MM.

While I'm comfortable with Gliss 18 breaking strength (would you say 10 - 12 lbs???) while fighing a fish w/ 6 or 7 lbs of drag, I certanly don't want to snap off an epoxy jig launching into a cast to fish over the bar.

Fireline 8 seems similar in strength and MM to power pro SS V2.

It seems I'm not going to be able to loose diamiter and gain casting distance w/out flirting dangerously with breakoffs, even with light lures and light drag. I hate to think of a fish having to deal with a jig hanging of it's mouth.

Prolly not even worth even spooling up second spool. Would you agree?

I may send spool back to Penn.

JD

 

1 hour ago, aquaholik said:

Why 6-7 lbs of drag in open water. You said Spanish are small. A 24 inch Spanish Mackerel is 4lbs.

6lbs fireline is strong but inconsistent. I think the line is not uniform... with thin and thick section. Very inconsistent ABS and it reflects in inconsistent FG knot strength. 

 

I just wanted to post maximum drag that I may use on this outfit. I'll also use it for albies. On a hot albie, wouldn't want to totally fight it to death. 3 - 5 is prolly more the norm.

 

This will not be the only outfit I'll have with me. I will also have a slightly heavier short game outfit and heavy long game outfit (i.e. 12' Teralejo and Ultegra reel). 

 

Wow, how would one have known if 6lb fireline is so inconsistant if you hadn't tested it?

Thanks for doing ths testing and for letting us know.

 

It seems I'm not going to be able to loose diamiter and gain casting distance w/out flirting dangerously with breakoffs, even with light lures and light drag.

 

Is there a line (brand and stregnth rating) that would walk this tight-rope (i.e. less diameter and more casting distance w/ out being so weak I'm risking breaking off during cast or fight) well enough that would make it worth it to fill the second spool?

 

Respectfully,

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, aquaholik said:

What species? Open water? What is your planned drag setting? For spinning reel, when you go to braid that has FG knot strength of 10-12 lbs, you get line that are VERY thin. For very thin line, I like the line to have a little bit of stiffness, especially if I'm casting all day with it and spool it to the max for maximum distance. If distance is not an issue, you can always slightly underspool line like Gliss 15 or 18 lbs and it will still cast a mile. It's very slick, very thin, and will hold FG knot even in mono as thin as 10 lbs.

If you are jigging all the time and don't want to worry about wind knots and tip wrap, go with Fireline 4-6lbs or Nanofil 6-8 lbs or the newer Fireline 8. They handle exceptionally well on spinning reel and are so trouble free that I spooled all my guest reels with it.

 

Samurai is not terrible. It's just that you expect it to break well above it's rating like other braids. I don't hate it. I just think it's stupidly expensive and really no better than J Braid in terms of handling and S/D ratio. Gliss is similar in ratings and much much cheaper and Gliss will cut thru deep water like a knife also since it's so thin.

Only problem with Gliss is it's near 100% FG knot strength. Very bad for long cast from the shoreline and breaking off midway when you are stuck on the bottom. Use lighter mono leader and the mono will break first and you won't have that problem.

 

19 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Bones is fine with 10 lbs leader but Spanish Mackerel? If your lure is 1/2 oz or heavier then I recommend no less than Gliss 24 lbs(thinner than PP V2 SS 10 lbs). You can drop down to Gliss 18 lbs but I'll be careful hard casting 1/2 spoon or metal. If that was my situation, I would spool with 8lbs Fireline or 10lbs Nanofil for trouble free casting and strength. Since it's a PENN, definitely Fireline. Lol.

 

May I suggest a small white jig trail 6-8ft behind a heavy popping cork for spanish. Easier to keep in the strike zone and can still be work fast.

 

2 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Why 6-7 lbs of drag in open water. You said Spanish are small. A 24 inch Spanish Mackerel is 4lbs.

 

6lbs fireline is strong but inconsistent. I think the line is not uniform... with thin and thick section. Very inconsistent ABS and it reflects in inconsistent FG knot strength. 

How does Nanofil 8lb measure up to Fireline 6 & Gliss 18 - 24?

There's also old school power pro 6lb.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with 24lbs Gliss considering Bonita and the need to not snap heavier lure on the cast. I have that on a Stella 4000 FD when I want more distance. I'm leery putting Gliss 24 lbs on a Penn Conflict. I would underspool a little bit or go with Nanofil 10 lbs.

 

Nanofil 12 = Fireline 10, Nanofil 10 = Fireline 8, Nanofil 8 = Fireline 6

Fireline 8 = Gliss 24 lbs but the Gliss might cast further being a softer and smoother line.

 

Why not dedicate a setup to Spanish and go real light with lighter lure? 6lbs Fireline or maybe even 4lbs will be just fine for spanish with the right leader. I use 4lbs fireline fishing the beach for Pompano and 1/4 oz jig.
 

I don't believe 5 lbs Power Pro is very thin. Possibly thicker than Gliss 18 and definitely not as smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

It seems like anymore I like to see the line in person and feel it before my purchase, we can't go off of diameter or lb ratings....

 

My ideal diameter is 10 power pro V2 on my baitcasters and seaguar smackdown 10lb or pline tcb 8 lb on my spinning rods, thats going off of how they feel in hand vs what the ratings are.

 

The p-line tcb 8 and seaguar smackdown in 10lb are both thinner then the 10lb power pro v2

Edited by Yumeya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, aquaholik said:

I would go with 24lbs Gliss considering Bonita and the need to not snap heavier lure on the cast. I have that on a Stella 4000 FD when I want more distance. I'm leery putting Gliss 24 lbs on a Penn Conflict. I would underspool a little bit or go with Nanofil 10 lbs.

 

Nanofil 12 = Fireline 10, Nanofil 10 = Fireline 8, Nanofil 8 = Fireline 6

Fireline 8 = Gliss 24 lbs but the Gliss might cast further being a softer and smoother line.

 

Why not dedicate a setup to Spanish and go real light with lighter lure? 6lbs Fireline or maybe even 4lbs will be just fine for spanish with the right leader. I use 4lbs fireline fishing the beach for Pompano and 1/4 oz jig.
 

I don't believe 5 lbs Power Pro is very thin. Possibly thicker than Gliss 18 and definitely not as smooth.

 

14 hours ago, Yumeya said:

It seems like anymore I like to see the line in person and feel it before my purchase, we can't go off of diameter or lb ratings....

 

My ideal diameter is 10 power pro V2 on my baitcasters and seaguar smackdown 10lb or pline tcb 8 lb on my spinning rods, thats going off of how they feel in hand vs what the ratings are.

 

The p-line tcb 8 and seaguar smackdown in 10lb are both thinner then the 10lb power pro v2

Thanks so Gentlemen.

Now I feel armed to make a good & well informed decision.

You guys have a PHD in fishing lines!

I never even considered Pline or Smackdown. I've heard Pline suffers from inconsistancy?

Aqua, is Seaguar Smackdown similar to Gliss & would you therefore worry about it on the Penn Conflict?

I’ll part with two questions.

1st. When you say Fireline 6 or 8, what version of Fireline are you takin about, or does it even matter?

2nd. Why are you leery of filling Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000 to rim w/ Gliss 24? What is it about the Conflict? 1st Penn I’ve purchased in decades. I’m just getting to know it, but it seems like a decent mid-priced light weight long cast option. My other surf reels are generally Shimano Stradic & VS, other than the Shimano Ultegra. 

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a word of caution for you with the conflict II and "stiffer" braids like nanofil. They cast great on spinning gear in general, and I have set new distance records for my conflict II setup spooled with 8lb nanofil. Penn dropped the ball on the design of the spool on this reel, making it almost incompatible with these braids. 

 

Occasionally, you will get a wrap of braid that, when you grab your line, just barely falls off the spool and hangs, just for a brief moment. There is a sharp corner on the side of this Conflict reel, where the braid will lock onto and tear it right off or shear it badly on the cast. I had one epoxy jig snap off, no line left in the guides and a nasty tear in the line where the braid snapped. I thought it got stuck in the bail arm without me noticing, and shrugged it off. A few minutes later after a new leader and a few casts, I saw it: one loop caught on the corner, thanks to the "memory" of the braid with a bit of slack.

 

If you know to look for it, it's fine. But that nanofil comes in 150 only, and I stripped half a spool of j braid to get the nanofil in there, only to see the backing after I blast an epoxy out there. Next time I spool it, it will be with a softer braid, slightly underspooled as aqua suggested. I ran j braid on this reel for a season, no issues at all, and racked up tons of fluke from the shore casting 1/2 to 3/4 bucktails etc.

 

I will take a picture tomorrow morning, so you can see what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, stiff braid like Nanofil and Fireline has a little bit of "memory" when new and that makes it handle like mono but without the stretch. It's also the reason why it's more wind knot resistant.

 

I swear 14lbs Nanofil behaves like 8lb mono on my small baitcaster. It has incredible slack line sensitivity and very predictable behavior on the cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I have a word of caution for you with the conflict II and "stiffer" braids like nanofil. They cast great on spinning gear in general, and I have set new distance records for my conflict II setup spooled with 8lb nanofil. Penn dropped the ball on the design of the spool on this reel, making it almost incompatible with these braids. 

 

Occasionally, you will get a wrap of braid that, when you grab your line, just barely falls off the spool and hangs, just for a brief moment. There is a sharp corner on the side of this Conflict reel, where the braid will lock onto and tear it right off or shear it badly on the cast. I had one epoxy jig snap off, no line left in the guides and a nasty tear in the line where the braid snapped. I thought it got stuck in the bail arm without me noticing, and shrugged it off. A few minutes later after a new leader and a few casts, I saw it: one loop caught on the corner, thanks to the "memory" of the braid with a bit of slack.

 

If you know to look for it, it's fine. But that nanofil comes in 150 only, and I stripped half a spool of j braid to get the nanofil in there, only to see the backing after I blast an epoxy out there. Next time I spool it, it will be with a softer braid, slightly underspooled as aqua suggested. I ran j braid on this reel for a season, no issues at all, and racked up tons of fluke from the shore casting 1/2 to 3/4 bucktails etc.

 

I will take a picture tomorrow morning, so you can see what I mean.

 

5 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Yep, stiff braid like Nanofil and Fireline has a little bit of "memory" when new and that makes it handle like mono but without the stretch. It's also the reason why it's more wind knot resistant.

 

I swear 14lbs Nanofil behaves like 8lb mono on my small baitcaster. It has incredible slack line sensitivity and very predictable behavior on the cast.

Okay,

Now that you mentioned that. I had the same thing happen, I.e., snapped jig off on the cast. I thought it was a fluke related to overfilled spool.

So you’re implying that’s less likely w/ a softer braid w/ less memory?

What are examples of softer braid, that has a thin diameter, casts well, but will hold up to this type of surf fishing?

Are we back to Gliss, or Seaguar Smackdown?

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

45 mins ago, aquaholik said:

No advantage to Seaguar Smackdown. 10 lbs will break 10-12 lbs but be super thin. Jbraid 10 lbs or Gliss 24.

Wow,

Never thought about J Braid.

What about J Briad Grand 8 in 8 lb? 

It tested at 18.3 lbs (my reel maxes out at 14lbs of drag, if that) and measured at .188mm diameter.

Apparently it is no Dyeema but IZANAS & is suuposed to have "more body", lay on the spool better and better abrasion resistance. 

Wondering if that would make it stiffer and add memory more like qualities of Nanofil and Pline that will make it challanging for the Conflict 2?

I read that it (i.e. J Braid Grand 8) is untreated and therefore more soft and supple. That's what I'm looking for right?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Wow,

Never thought about J Braid.

What about J Briad Grand 8 in 8 lb? 

It tested at 18.3 lbs (my reel maxes out at 14lbs of drag, if that) and measured at .188mm diameter.

Apparently it is no Dyeema but IZANAS & is suuposed to have "more body", lay on the spool better and better abrasion resistance. 

Wondering if that would make it stiffer and add memory more like qualities of Nanofil and Pline that will make it challanging for the Conflict 2?

I read that it (i.e. J Braid Grand 8) is untreated and therefore more soft and supple. That's what I'm looking for right?

JD

 I have found the J Braid Grand 8lb in Chartreuse to be a great line on that reel.

 

And here's the nanofil catcher:

 

793B8F6A-05DF-46FE-AA85-4DC7D4BFCA05.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

 I have found the J Braid Grand 8lb in Chartreuse to be a great line on that reel.

 

And here's the nanofil catcher:

 

793B8F6A-05DF-46FE-AA85-4DC7D4BFCA05.jpeg

Ugh!

I wonder if there's a way to minimze or remidy that problem? Perhaps filling that gap in with w/ something like epoxy?

I also wonder if anyone has contacted Penn about this issue & if they have any input, suggestions or fixes?

It's really too bad because other than that, it's a nice light, mid-priced, long cast reel.

8 mins ago, aquaholik said:

No, it's a soft line. Jbraid Grand 8 in 8lbs should be an excellent choice. Very high S/D ratio line. 

Hey brother,

I can not thank you enough. Like tires on a vehicle, line is where the rubber hits the road, where all the action is & other than what's tied on the end & how/where it's presented, is probably the most important piece of equipment.

I feel like I owe you a beverage or a plug.

Where do you fish?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member