aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

895 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey Lee,

I have some 10 yd samples of 65 & 80lb Yozuri SuperBraid coming to your address. They are 8 strand like the 50lb. I’m very curious on how these lines compare to the exceptional lighter lb test Yozuri SuperBraids.

I’ll also send you some samples of 20lb Berkley Prospec metered to see how it compares to Fireline (but being 8 stranded) and 30lb JBraid metered.

Thanks,

Edward

Edited by wwen

Hey Lee,

I just looked through your excel spreadsheet. I now see that you've already tested the 65lb Yozuri and it doesn't seem as good as some of the lower lines. I guess we'll see how the samples I sent you of the 65 & 80 will compare.

What solid PE5-6 lines would you recommend for casting with FG knot (high FG knot %) using between 80-100lb fluorocarbon leader and fluorocarbon shock leader (YGK Galis Castman FC absorber)? I'd like abs to be at least 80lbs to ~100 lbs. I was using Seaguar 50# Threadlock & JBHC60 but it twists so much and I've given up on using hollow core with casting due to excessive wind knots despite maintaining the twist and using ball bearing swivels from my own experience.

The 65lb Maxcuatro does not seem strong enough for me. Is Berkley Pro (white) supposed to be the same line as the metered, in that case I may get metered because I definitely prefer measuring my casts, depth, etc if it does not affect casting. The Berkley Pro 65lb seemed very nice but I was very concerned that the abs diminished so much when used. Is this common amongst braids or unique to that line? I did not see any other cases where you tested used braid. Also, Is it soft enough for a high FG knot strength?

I got 425 yards of Seaguar 50# Threadlock HC on a Saltiga 5k which I believe is roughly similar diameter to other PE5 line (I believe the actual PE5 diameter is probably much thinner?) and over 300 yards JBHC 60#. My thought process is I might get a PE5 line for a Saltiga 5000 and PE6 for Saltiga 5500. Or just get PE5 for Saltiga 5500 and more capacity, your thoughts?

Edited by wwen

Did you look at the FG bobbin strength? It's the best way to get close to PR knot strength without making a long knot which really hinders casting thru the guide. Look at app????'s post on the tuna forum. He has a youtube video and it really helps with FG knot in line test that are above 50lbs. I mean no more mid 60% FG knot strength. The bobbin finish will bump it up to 80-90%. I've tested a few in that excel chart and you can see the improvement in Yozuri Super Braid over a regular finish FG knot.

Not sure about the metered version of Berkley 65 being the same as the white one quality wise and the limited testing I've done with testing use braid is that ABS drops 10-20% when worn.

On higher test braid not having good S/W ratio:

App???? has a theory and I think he is deadon. You will find that for any manufacturer, the 10 lbs line is their best line in terms of S/W and S/D ratio. They use the best quality spectra. When you jump up to 30-80 lbs test, you see the S/W ratio drops dramatically except for the Pro Spec and most Spiderwire. To make 30 lbs line that has ABS of 50lbs, you need to braid twice the materials that you used in making the 10 lbs test(assuming ABS of around 25 lbs). So you are using twice the materials and charging the same price per yds! It gets worst when you bump up to 50-80 lbs! So you switch to a lower quality spectra. Makes sense to me.

Weave the best 10 lbs braid x 4 and you will have the best 65-80 lbs braid breaking upward of 100 lbs.

2 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Did you look at the FG bobbin strength? It's the best way to get close to PR knot strength without making a long knot which really hinders casting thru the guide. Look at app????'s post on the tuna forum. He has a youtube video and it really helps with FG knot in line test that are above 50lbs. I mean no more mid 60% FG knot strength. The bobbin finish will bump it up to 80-90%. I've tested a few in that excel chart and you can see the improvement in Yozuri Super Braid over a regular finish FG knot.

Not sure about the metered version of Berkley 65 being the same as the white one quality wise and the limited testing I've done with testing use braid is that ABS drops 10-20% when worn.

On higher test braid not having good S/W ratio:

App???? has a theory and I think he is deadon. You will find that for any manufacturer, the 10 lbs line is their best line in terms of S/W and S/D ratio. They use the best quality spectra. When you jump up to 30-80 lbs test, you see the S/W ratio drops dramatically except for the Pro Spec and most Spiderwire. To make 30 lbs line that has ABS of 50lbs, you need to braid twice the materials that you used in making the 10 lbs test(assuming ABS of around 25 lbs). So you are using twice the materials and charging the same price per yds! It gets worst when you bump up to 50-80 lbs! So you switch to a lower quality spectra. Makes sense to me.

Weave the best 10 lbs braid x 4 and you will have the best 65-80 lbs braid breaking upward of 100 lbs.

I remember app???? tests thats why I bought the Seaguar HC 50# and it has been very strong. I'll continue to use HC on my conventional reels as I can get away with a thinner braid with 100% connection, just have to be wary about initial drag/shock load given it's thinness.

I was concerned about the following.

Stated LB Actual
Strength
Weight
per
Foot
Strength
/
Weight
Stated Diameter (inches) Actual Diameter (inches) Actual Diameter (mm) % of
strongest
UTS (1.32xs/w
(Gpa)
Source ABS T1 ABS T2 ABS T3 FG (A) FG 1 FG 2 FG 3 FG bobbin FG knot strength PR PR % Relix Knot Bimini (A) Alberto (A) Albright (A) double uni Twice Thru Palomar
Berkley Pro Braid 65 lbs (W)(used) 65 61.47 lb 45.50 mg 1.35   0.0186 in 0.472 mm 54.22% 1.78 Nick 63.20 lb 61.30 lb 59.90 lb 47.90 lb 47.90 lb       77.93% 56.50 lb 91.92 %
Berkley Pro Braid 65 lbs (W)(New) 65 102.55 lb 42.80 mg 2.40   0.0180 in 0.458 mm 100.00% 3.16 Nick 102.75 lb 104.50 lb 100.40 lb 65.22 lb 64.60 lb 62.59 lb
63.43, 70.24
  63.60% 87.30 lb 85.13 %

From 102.55 abs (new) to 61.47 abs (used) is quite a drastic change! I believe both the used and new came from the same person/sample, right? Isn't that ~40% drop unusual for a used braid unless there is significant abrasion or damage? What is strange is the FG Knot % increases for the used braid.

I will give that FG Knot version a shot next time for >50lb test lines.

Edited by wwen

I can't explain that drop but technically it's not a used line whose ABS tested 102.55 lbs when new. We don't know the ABS of that particular used sample when it's new. We tested a new line from a different spool than the used line. Same manufacturer but it's not always 100% consistent from spool to spool. That's why I want to test your sample of Yozuri 65 lbs braid and see if it has better S/W ratio than the one RayS sent.

5 hours ago, aquaholik said:

I can't explain that drop but technically it's not a used line whose ABS tested 102.55 lbs when new. We don't know the ABS of that particular used sample when it's new. We tested a new line from a different spool than the used line. Same manufacturer but it's not always 100% consistent from spool to spool. That's why I want to test your sample of Yozuri 65 lbs braid and see if it has better S/W ratio than the one RayS sent.

That makes more sense. For 50lb I think I'm going to go for Yozuri Superbraid. Disappointed by the 65lb Yozuri sample quality.

I'll wait until the 65lb and 80lb results to decide between Berkley Pro Spec and Yozuri. I've also considered JB solid core 65lb (only 6 strands) but I like 8 strand braids. Is there any particular braid qualities you look for that decrease wind knots? Qualities that Increase castabliity (maybe softer also helps with friction knots?)?

Edited by wwen

19 mins ago, Yumeya said:

Have you guys seen the new spiderwire smooth 12?

We’re up to 12 strands now? It reminds me of 7 minute abs from There’s Something About Mary. 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:33 AM, jjdbike said:

How does Power Pro Super Slick V2 10lb compare w/ Samuri 15 lb as far as casting distance and FG knot strength?

JD

I'm asking this because I just bought a spare spool for my light distance outfit for ablies etc. I'd like a slightly stronger alternative to the 10lb, though I don't think my reel can generate any more than 13lbs of drag so I don't know if there's really any point to it.

JD

The 10 lbs PP super slick V2 will be thicker and stronger than the Samurai 15 lbs since the Samurai is accurately rated. You are comparing 24 lbs line(10 lbs PP super slick) to actual 15 lbs line like any of Daiwa Samurai.

3 hours ago, aquaholik said:

The 10 lbs PP super slick V2 will be thicker and stronger than the Samurai 15 lbs since the Samurai is accurately rated. You are comparing 24 lbs line(10 lbs PP super slick) to actual 15 lbs line like any of Daiwa Samurai.

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, is that true? 

If so, crazy how different that is from published info. 

So if my 10lb  test power pro, is beyond the strength I need (I.e 24lb test) & thicket. This is my light distance open beach outfit. Perhaps I should fill my backup spool w/ thinner line for when I need every inch of my farthest cast? My reel maxes out at 14lb drag. 

JD

Edited by jjdbike

49 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, is that true? 

If so, crazy how different that is from published info. 

So if my 10lb  test power pro, is beyond the strength I need (I.e 24lb test) & thicket. This is my light distance open beach outfit. Perhaps I should fill my backup spool w/ thinner line for when I need every inch of my farthest cast? My reel maxes out at 14lb drag. 

JD

Every major USA brand 10 lbs braid is stronger and thicker than Samurai Braid 20 lbs except for Gliss and Seaguar Smackdown. Those 3 lines are rated very close to ABS. No one has made a real breakthrough in S/D ratio and most 10 lbs line use quality spectra. Go with Gliss or Samurai or Smackdown for the thinnest line for their rated LABEL strength.

Samurai and Gliss can both claim the "thinnest 20 lbs braid" and they would be correct. Except they are no where near the strongest 20lbs braid. It's all marketing to distinguish themselves from the competition. Look at the chart for the best S/D ratio and decide if you want limp, stiff, coated, non-coated, etc.

3 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Every major USA brand 10 lbs braid is stronger and thicker

To further the confusion, the ratings are usually completely different for the same line depending on where they're sold.

For example the 0.17mm diameter Berkley Fireline is rated for 8lb in the USA, however this is what it looks like over here:

Janlp3m.jpg

10.2kg is ~22.5lb, so apparently the EU version is 180% stronger than the US.

They're exactly the same product of course, but the ratings are very different.

An inexperienced fisherman may learn this the hard way when buying line for a new reel, since the lb/yd capacity rating almost always refers to US mono ratings.

Reels with no mm/M capacity rating are thankfully becoming very hard to find though.

Edited by jcberg