aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

804 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, ChasingTales said:

@aquaholik I am going to respool that reel with  new xplasma  I have left and will send you the used/new that came off the reel

Label the new end by putting a piece of tape on it so I'll know which end is new.

On 31/01/2019 at 4:11 AM, Mahigo said:

I like the Chartreuse color but I do not want to put the stain on my reel and rod (brand new Daiwa Isla and Century rod).

One time I had Chinese, no name braid, was very nice red and all my gear was red too after first day of using it but I was able to washed it out. 

Please let me know if the island blue does the same as the Chartreuse.

well, the island blue color that i got doesnt hold. it bleed as soon as it touches water and it can see stain on my roller bearing. Other than that, it holds up as good as the X8 but u need to take note that the diameter on the grand is thicker if u compare with the X8 of the same lbs. So before u buy the grand, take a look at the diameter and not the lb

i will just go back to fireline.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, Tourstage said:

well, the island blue color that i got doesnt hold. it bleed as soon as it touches water and it can see stain on my roller bearing. Other than that, it holds up as good as the X8 but u need to take note that the diameter on the grand is thicker if u compare with the X8 of the same lbs. So before u buy the grand, take a look at the diameter and not the lb

i will just go back to fireline.

That is a bad news …. It’s looks like I have to look for some thing else and forget about Grand....

Thank you for the info.

Yes I did test the Vicious No Fade Braid in 20 lbs. From the feel of it, it does live up to it's No Fade reputation. It's slightly below 2.0 in S/W. Good PR knot strength. Slightly below average FG knot strength. I have an entry for it in the chart right before Yozuri Super Braid. 20 lbs test is actually 37 lb ABS with a line mass of 20 mg/ft, FG knot in three tests is consistently 23 lbs. PR Knot came in at 33 lbs. Bimini at 28 lbs.

@aquaholik Out of curiosity, and without having to read through 50+ post, what is your surf and jetty fishing recommendation for 20, 30 and 40 lb line? I was looking for a high-vis braid but I'll settle on a less visible line for quality and S/W ratio. P.S. sorry if you've been asked this a thousand times. Just wondering if the braid I been using (Sufix 832 in 20, 30 and 40) lives up to its high reviews.

Berkley Braid Pro Spec or Trilene Braid or Fireline Braid (they are all the same S/W ratio) for braids in 20-80 lbs. Not expensive in bulk spool on fleabay.

14 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Berkley Braid Pro Spec or Trilene Braid or Fireline Braid (they are all the same S/W ratio) for braids in 20-80 lbs. Not expensive in bulk spool on fleabay.

Thank you for your extensive, hard work!

Aqua - great stuff to you & all the contributors.

Personally, I have settled on Fireline Crystal - 14# or 20# mostly due to a much lower incidence of tangles/ knots along with strength.

Thanks again...

4 hours ago, gman1253 said:

Aqua - great stuff to you & all the contributors.

Personally, I have settled on Fireline Crystal - 14# or 20# mostly due to a much lower incidence of tangles/ knots along with strength.

Thanks again...

You're not the only one. I can fish with other type of braids and get 1 wind knot per 100 casts or get 1 wind knot per 10,000 casts with Fireline and Nanofil. For 10 lbs braid, stiffer and more wiry braid is the way to go. For 20lbs and 30 lbs, softer conventional braid get slightly better distance. All my guest reels are filled with Fireline Crystal. I don't want to spend the day undoing tip wraps and wind knots.

22 hours ago, Yumeya said:

How hard would it be to tie a 8lb leader to 10lb nanofil using a FG knot?

I don’t know how difficult/easy it is to do it that way, but I use a different plan that is more practical for me.

• In fresh water, or extremely ultra light salt, I often use 8 lbs FL crystal.
  • I tie FG or PR knots to a heavier leader than you mentioned.
  • I may use 20 or 25 lbs or so.
  • From that heavier line, I tie on a lighter line (situation dependent) all the way down to 6 lbs. 
  • I use a swivel mostly, but a uni to uni works for stealthy presentations. 

Thats basically a scaled down down version of my regular heavier tackle method. It’s all about keeping the snags from costing me time on the water. Lower strength line at the bottom. 

22 hours ago, Yumeya said:

One more thing. If you tie direct to leader that light, FG is probably a waste of time for extra strength that isn’t necessary with leader that much weaker than the main line. Use a uni to uni. 

On 6/1/2019 at 9:24 PM, Yumeya said:

Impossible task for me.

19 hours ago, EricDice said:

One more thing. If you tie direct to leader that light, FG is probably a waste of time for extra strength that isn’t necessary with leader that much weaker than the main line. Use a uni to uni. 

I use the FG for strength plus its goes through the guides better then any other knot I have used.

15 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Impossible task for me.

Bummer...