aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

781 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Could be just QC and even then, they might not have control of which quality spectra they are getting to make the braid.

10-15 lb braids is hard to say who is the best all around. This is because opinion on thinner braid varies so much. Some prefer softest and limpest(which is what I started out with) for ultimate distance, while other prefers a more trouble free casting/fishing experience with slightly more wiry braid(my choice now).

Look for consistent S/W when shopping for brands of braid. Berkley is consistent across different type of constructions of braid from fused to 8 strand to unifilament. Tasline is remarkably consistent and so is Yozuri which has an excellent S/W and is very reasonably price.

Question regarding the Tasline.  I'll use the Tasline White 12 LBS and Tasline White 15 LBS as examples. Why are their stated LBS 20.6 and 23.7 and their breaking strength 19.3 and 23.8?  I see where the stated LBS come from on their website, but by rating them with the 20# lines it looks like their breaking strength is below or at their stated strength.  They would both look great as 12 and 15# lines, but average as 20 and 24.

Pay attention to labeled and actual strength AND look at the S/W and the line mass or diameter. It's all marketing to have the thinnest 30 lbs braid or the strongest 10 lbs braid. In the end, the 10 lbs braid is equal to the 30 lbs braid since they both have similar S/W, ABS, and diameter. Most USA line are stronger than labeled except and most Japanese and European line are rated at the actual breaking strength. All those number are useless without the line diameter or line mass.

I think my problem is that Tasline 15LB shows a stated breaking strength of 23.8 (from the info on the website and I'll assume on the package) and when I sorted by Stated LB the Tasline shows up in the 24Lb category (by itself).  But when you compare it to the actual strength, S/W  line mass or diameter of Yozuri Super Braid Blue it is closer to the 15 than it is the 20, if that makes sense. 

I'm not sure why I'm so hung up on this I think I going to try the Yozuri Super Braid Blue in a few different applications, LOL.  Once again, Thank You for all the work you have put in on this, now I have to learn to tie the FG, though I am pretty happy with the Slim Beauty.

On 31/01/2019 at 4:11 AM, Mahigo said:

I like the Chartreuse color but I do not want to put the stain on my reel and rod (brand new Daiwa Isla and Century rod).

One time I had Chinese, no name braid, was very nice red and all my gear was red too after first day of using it but I was able to washed it out. 

Please let me know if the island blue does the same as the Chartreuse.

check out scoob review on youtube for the grand

On 3/2/2019 at 5:04 PM, Tourstage said:

check out scoob review on youtube for the grand

Based on the info I got from all the reviews this is a Daiwa Grand, the 3rd generation of the Daiwa 8x braid line is more softer and more abrasion resistant. At least that’s what people are saying but the one thing that worries me about it is that the color/coat is still coming off of the line like on all other brands.

Definitely I will try it this spring, the price for it is not that bad.

I've been using the Daiwa grand 8x 6lb for ice fishing and love it, it is way soft but that is what I like for ice fishing small 1/16 oz tungsten.

Nothing worse then having any kind of memory or coils in your line when ice fishing.

I still like sunline xplasma for everything else, but I'm waiting patiently for the Pline tcb 8 10lb in yellow....Love pline tcb8

Did some testing on J Braid Grand 8lbs -30 lbs. S/W range from 2.0 to 2.54. Also did 30lbs PP SS version 2 in 30 lbs test. ABS is 48.5 but line mass is 24.9 mg/ft for an S/W that is 1.95. Will do more knot testing later. See latest dropbox chart for latest results.

J Braid Grand 8,15,20,30 lbs ABS, FG, PR some double uni and Palomar test is done. See the dropbox chart. I will summarize the results in the J Braid Grand thread.

3 hours ago, aquaholik said:

J Braid Grand 8,15,20,30 lbs ABS, FG, PR some double uni and Palomar test is done. See the dropbox chart. I will summarize the results in the J Braid Grand thread.

dropbox chart on page 1 ?

good job Aqua, appreciate !

12 mins ago, Tourstage said:

dropbox chart on page 1 ?

good job Aqua, appreciate !

Yes. That's a permalink that's updated whenever there's new testing.

32 mins ago, ChasingTales said:

@aquaholik what do you think is the best casting  abrasion resistant 20# braid 65% beach 35% jetty casting

I don't thinkg any 20 lbs braid is abrasion resistant due to their diameter being so small. My instinct tells me rougher 4 strand braid is better but 8 strand will be smoother and cast farther. I think the consensus here is that Suffix 832 wears well so it should be fairly abrasion resistance.

11 mins ago, aquaholik said:

I don't thinkg any 20 lbs braid is abrasion resistant due to their diameter being so small. My instinct tells me rougher 4 strand braid is better but 8 strand will be smoother and cast farther. I think the consensus here is that Suffix 832 wears well so it should be fairly abrasion resistance.

In this case abrasion  resistant is relative to the size. Iam using  sunline xplasma asegai 18# but I saw you said something  about one of the fire lines in 14# or 20# around pillings

Fireline is going to be more abrasive resistant because for each labeled strength, they tend to be thicker than other brand. For 20 lbs test braid, Fireline crystal 14 lbs test is more comparable in diameter. It is no doubt that fireline 20 lbs braid is going to be more abrasive resistant than 20 lbs braid in general because it is thicker.

I use 10 lbs Fireline Crystal around bridge piling for sheepshead and have landed Grouper to keeper size keeping the drag at 6-7lbs. I have much more confidence in the abrasive resistant of 10 lbs Fireline Crystal than regular 10 lbs braid because it is slightly thicker but have the same or better S/W. It is a tough line that wears very well and even after worn out, still have plenty of KBS left, greater than 15 lbs when worn when FG is used.