aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

768 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, Mahigo said:

I am thinking to get the Chart..., but in this case no way I can put it on my new expensive reel. I need to find the braid that is similar to Daiwa but without staining the gear.

Its really hard to remove the stain from the reel?  

i cant remove the stain on my white rod tip, seriously go for some other color if u want X8 but not chart

I have sold that rod otherwise will show u the photo

not worth risking your gear

Will try out the new grand soon and let u know if its comparable to X8

Definately to spool on my cheap combo, cant afford any mistake again, i bought the island blue

Edited by Tourstage

16 hours ago, Tourstage said:

i cant remove the stain on my white rod tip, seriously go for some other color if u want X8 but not chart

I have sold that rod otherwise will show u the photo

not worth risking your gear

Will try out the new grand soon and let u know if its comparable to X8

Definately to spool on my cheap combo, cant afford any mistake again, i bought the island blue

I like the Chartreuse color but I do not want to put the stain on my reel and rod (brand new Daiwa Isla and Century rod).

One time I had Chinese, no name braid, was very nice red and all my gear was red too after first day of using it but I was able to washed it out. 

Please let me know if the island blue does the same as the Chartreuse.

No. But I think my friend did in 30-50 lbs but not the 15 lbs. Too expensive and just marketed differently. I wouldn't be surprised if the 15 lbs is as thin as suffix or fireline 6lbs but it will break around 15 lbs.

Hello, just took a look through the spreadsheet and first off I would like to thank those involved for all the info. Awesome stuff that you can’t find anywhere else. My question is has anyone done any testing with the Super Slick V2 braid?

27 mins ago, Matt Szwagulinski said:

Hello, just took a look through the spreadsheet and first off I would like to thank those involved for all the info. Awesome stuff that you can’t find anywhere else. My question is has anyone done any testing with the Super Slick V2 braid?

That is coming also, in about a month. 

Aqua, Thank you for all of the work that you have done with the braided line testing.  Have you made any conclusions as to which braids you recommend?  It's funny how much of a discrepancy there is between # tests of certain braids. For example:

Would it be safe to assume that depending on what use you might decide to go with different lines?  Using the above example 40# PP seems to be a better line that the 50# PP. So if you are set on using a 50# line there are other 50# lines that would be a better choice. For example: 

Am I reading this right?

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by tpoliti

13 mins ago, tpoliti said:

Aqua, Thank you for all of the work that you have done with the braided line testing.  Have you made any conclusions as to which braids you recommend?  It's funny how much of a discrepancy there is between # tests of certain braids. For example:

Would it be safe to assume that depending on what use you might decide to go with different lines?  Using the above example 40# PP seems to be a better line that the 50# PP. So if you are set on using a 50# line there are other 50# lines that would be a better choice. For example: 

Am I reading this right?

Thanks,

Tony

thats how im reading it as well

anyway follow what aqua uses, nth will be wrong

1 hour ago, tpoliti said:

Am I reading this right?

Thanks,

Tony

Apparently, my pasting parts of the braid test docs didn't work.  Trying to figure this out

In short,

1. First go with the braid around your target breaking strength (ABS) - not the line’s rated strength on the box.
  2. Then, pick the one with the best strength to weight ratio.
  3. Then, consider the FG knot strength if you use that or a PR. Some lines nail #1 and #2 but fail the knot strength. 

14 hours ago, tpoliti said:

Am I reading this right?

Thanks,

Tony

Yes, 40# PP in moss green seems to be a better line than the 50# moss green but there is no telling if your spool of 40# will have that high S/W. The 40# in red and yellow had lower S/W and ABS.

But a better choice is clearly Berkeley Pro Spec and Yozuri Braid in 40-50 lbs or even Suffix 832. They both have similar diameter and much better ABS, S/W and the FG knot strength is pretty good. With Yozuri, you will get a FG knot strength that is equal to or better than the label strength of the line and it's pretty darn cheap and proven durable by the breaker of all things dennysnook.

Edited by aquaholik

Thank you Tourstage, EricDice and Aquaholik.  I just sorted the test by stated strength, which puts the data in a form that I can relate to.  Is it safe to infer that Green is better, yellow is fair and Red is poor regarding breaking strength?

On 2/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, aquaholik said:

Yes, 40# PP in moss green seems to be a better line than the 50# moss green but there is no telling if your spool of 40# will have that high S/W. The 40# in red and yellow had lower S/W and ABS.

But a better choice is clearly Berkeley Pro Spec and Yozuri Braid in 40-50 lbs or even Suffix 832. They both have similar diameter and much better ABS, S/W and the FG knot strength is pretty good. With Yozuri, you will get a FG knot strength that is equal to or better than the label strength of the line and it's pretty darn cheap and proven durable by the breaker of all things dennysnook.

Thanks for the quick summary.  I also went through the spreadsheet many times and have already settled on lines that seem to work for me.  Yozuri and Sufix 832 in the heavier weights (40-50lb).  Daiwa J braid in bulk if I am being cheap.  Have not tried Berkeley Pro Spec but based on your results I probably will.

It would be helpful to me, and I think others here, if there were a summary of the best all around braids in the 10-15lb, and 20-30lb ranges.

Also  I agree that there could be a wider range of performance of some braids than for others.  The PP for example - why is it stronger (ABS) in only some colors?   Doesn't lend confidence re: QA/QC.  Could there simply be difference between batches of line rather than just colors?

4 mins ago, Killiefish said:

Thanks for the quick summary.  I also went through the spreadsheet many times and have already settled on lines that seem to work for me.  Yozuri and Sufix 832 in the heavier weights (40-50lb).  Daiwa J braid in bulk if I am being cheap.  Have not tried Berkeley Pro Spec but based on your results I probably will.

It would be helpful to me, and I think others here, if there were a summary of the best all around braids in the 10-15lb, and 20-30lb ranges.

Also  I agree that there could be a wider range of performance of some braids than for others.  The PP for example - why is it stronger (ABS) in only some colors?   Doesn't lend confidence re: QA/QC.  Could there simply be difference between batches of line rather than just colors?

Could be just QC and even then, they might not have control of which quality spectra they are getting to make the braid.

10-15 lb braids is hard to say who is the best all around. This is because opinion on thinner braid varies so much. Some prefer softest and limpest(which is what I started out with) for ultimate distance, while other prefers a more trouble free casting/fishing experience with slightly more wiry braid(my choice now).

Look for consistent S/W when shopping for brands of braid. Berkley is consistent across different type of constructions of braid from fused to 8 strand to unifilament. Tasline is remarkably consistent and so is Yozuri which has an excellent S/W and is very reasonably price.