aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

738 posts in this topic

I use 30lb Fireline Braid, not sure if it's the same as tracer when I'm bottom fishing for snappers with a pretty much lock down drag on a 6000 Spheros with a MH 7ft Loomis pro blue rod, a relatively light combo. I also have 20 fireline braid on a 5000 spheros and a 7ft 6 Teramar when I need to cast shrimp on a jig head near structures for snappers.

I mainly fish 10-12 lbs Nanofil for pompano when I'm fishing bridge pilings. I'll use Gliss 24 lbs or Nanofil in 6-8 lbs if I'm jigging the beach or the pass for pompano where I need distance.

For sheepsheads right next to bridge piling, I fish 10lb Fireline Crystal. Lock the drag down to about 7lbs on a 3000 size reel and never worry about breaking off. Shrimp on jig head sinking slowly along structures gets them every time once you learn to feel the bite.

For flounder throwing curly tail on 1/4 jig head, 8-10 nanofil or 10 lb j braid.

Backyard bass or blue gill fishing, 12-14 lbs Nanofil throwing Senko and fluke and 10 lbs Kanzen for the finesse rig.

Gliss 24lbs on a 4000 Stradic and St Croix Legend 7ft 6 medium action is a serious bomber on the beach for 3/8 and 1/2 jig. Very balanced 14 oz combo.

20160316_143114_zpsyygwkt4z.jpg

Edited by aquaholik

great photos.  and thks for sharing what you use. ok i am a fireline braid guy now. not that i had any problem with my suffix but why not maximize to your advantage. i'm thinkin that i will switch to 20 lb

you sure eat good

Got Kasting in 30 and 50lbs from Drumbum:

Kastking 30 white:

ABS 39.05 lbs

FG 23.9lbs

7 wraps Alberto 20.75 lbs

line mass of 29.2 mg/ft

S/W ratio = 1.34, which is pretty much at the bottom. S/W above 1.8 - 1.9 is acceptable.

J Braid 20 lbs has a mass of 17.5 mg, almost half of this line and has FG knot strength of 27.25 lbs

Kastking 50 Green:

ABS 58 lbs

FG 33.15 lbs

7 wraps Alberto 27.3

line mass of 45.4 mg/ft

S/W ratio of 1.28

Fireline Braid 30 lbs has a mass of 25.8 mg and an FG knot strength of 35 lbs (two tests, 32, 38). So the Fireline Braid is nearly half the mass and has better knot strength.

Thanks aquaholik.

By my measurements the Kastking 30# is the dia. of PowerPro 50# and the Kastking 50# is the dia. of powerPro 80# or 100# (I lost my notes).  I'll remeasure the 50.

I can't find a use for the JUNK :mad:

P.S. what you tested is almost identical to what I measured for knotted breaking strain. :th:

Edited by drumbum

Thanks aquaholik.

By my measurements the Kastking 30# is the dia. of PowerPro 50# and the Kastking 50# is the dia. of powerPro 80# or 100# (I lost my notes). I'll remeasure the 50.

I can't find a use for the JUNK :mad:

P.S. what you tested is almost identical to what I measured for knotted breaking strain. :th:

What is more shocking is that Fireline Krystal and Spiderwire Stealth in 10 lb test has a mass that is 60% less than Kastking 30lbs at 12-13 mg/ft but has nearly the same knot strength.