aquaholik

Line testing, ABS and KBS, a work in progress.

Rate this topic

788 posts in this topic

Yes, it's an eye opener but not all braids will behave like this. Only way to know is to test it.

Now it's time for me to go back and catch some more tasty Pompanos:

20160823_105103_zpsqalq0jxq.jpg

Awesome post! :D.

Tell me, have you determined the weight to diameter ratio? I love that you have figured out that weight is proportional to ABS as it should be (they all use the same Dyneema to make their lines) as long as they are of the same manufacturing standard. All the testing I have seen on Paulus' site also shows that lines almost uniformly have an ABS proportional to their actual thickness (regardless of rating).

Should be as you expect proportional to the diameter however, some lay better or worse on the spool? 

John, I used Paulus's diameter listing on the EXACT same sample of lines that I sent him, meaning I can get a weight per foot.

So we have volume = pi times radius square times the height(12 inches or 304.8mm)

We also have the mass per foot(per 304.8mm)

Problem is, diameter measurement is so imprecise and we are dependent on 1/2 of the diameter squared to get our volume.

So we have the density = mass/volume.

From density = mass/volume -----> radius = square root(mass/(density x pi x 304.8 mm))

Basically, we take a known mass and known diameter(imprecise) to see if we can come up with a ball park density of the braid.

From density = mass/volume -----> radius = square root(mass/(density x pi x 304.8 mm)

Using 4 samples, the density range from .7mg/cubic mm to 1.0mg/cubic mm. This is because diameter is an imprecise measurement but we are dependent on it to get a volume per foot. We need the volume per foot because we know the line weight per foot.

So we'll ball park the density at .85 mg/cubic mm since two of the 4 samples is right around there.

Using that number, the radius of the braid given the mass per ft is:

radius = .035 x square root(mass per ft). And the radius will be in mm.

Using that figure and Spiderwire Stealth in 10lbs test which has a mass of 12.5 mg/ft, I 've got .123mm for radius of .246 mm for the diameter. Paulus has this line pegged at .255mm = .010 inches which is much higher than the diameter that is labeled on the spool. This is typical. Most 10lb test is not the diameter of 2 lbs test mono, more like 4-6lb test mono.

Using power pro 30lbs whose mass is 20 mg, we get a radius of .156mm or a diameter of .313 mm, which is very typical of 30lbs test Power Pro when you scan Paulus site.

Edited by aquaholik

Aquaholik can you try a 6 turn Alberto.I noticed in your Alberto to picture that the braid came up and over the mono it shouldn't be there should be a bend of mono to be properly tied I wounder if that will make a difference with either 6 or 8 turn alberto

post-19666-0-08380400-1472767970.jpg

I'll upload the pictures later to show both side of braided line exiting one side of the mono.

7 wraps to 50 lb Berkeley Big Game (very stiff line) 22.65 lbs

7 wraps to softer 30 lbs Suffix Superior(ABS 47 lbs) 25.15 lbs

12 wraps to softer 30lbs Suffix Superior(ABS 47lbs) 31.85 lbs

Easy explanation for the 12 wraps(up and down). Knot looks and behaves like FG and PR knot, biting down really well on the softer mono leader.

In order:

20160901_183300_zpsllvgarnn.jpg

20160901_184344_zpsxlzdf78w.jpg

20160901_185253_zpsnaped0qo.jpg

Edited by aquaholik

Well I'll be damn. Following ZAFisher's link, I found the density of spectra to be .97g/cubic cm. I confirmed it by checking Honeywell's site.

I found, based on Paulus estimated diameter, a range of .7mg to 1mg per cubic mm. That translate to .7 to 1 gram per cubic cm. So I was on the right path but I might as well use the .97 figure since that is absolutely more precise. Now we'll have a really good idea of the line's diameter given its weight. Plug that into excel and it will spit out the diameter in no time. But the .97 figure is assuming perfectly round and tightly braided line. Maybe that's why the labeled diameter is always smaller than the actual measurable diameter.

BTW water has a density of 1g/cubic cm. That explains why braid floats.

Edited by aquaholik

And why (don't know if its available in the US) Sufix have sinking braids that are made up of 2 strands of Gore and 6 strands of Dyneema, not the 1+7 of  normal 832. Increases density I assume.

Personally interested in trying Sunline's Castway, 8 strand braid made up 4 strands of PE and 4 strands of Ester monofilaments (damn I sound like such a nerd) for increased density (probably slight increased diameter) But it is expensive...

THanks for posting all this. For someone who would like to select a thin, strong, long casting braid and then forget it - it looks like j braid is a good option??

Yes, just ordered and received another bulk spool of 10lbs J Braid 1650 yds. Delivered price was $ 76 after the $10 ebay coupon. Impressive S/W ratio for a 5 cents per yd line. Even more impressive knot strength since it's thin and smooth.

But 8lb J braid is just so so in S/W.

Yes, just ordered and received another bulk spool of 10lbs J Braid 1650 yds. Delivered price was $ 76 after the $10 ebay coupon. Impressive S/W ratio for a 5 cents per yd line. Even more impressive knot strength since it's thin and smooth.

But 8lb J braid is just so so in S/W.

I would be running 20 or possibly 30 pound. 

A line aficionado like yourself will cringe at this but I've been using the kastking braid over the past couple years. I think it's decent for the price. Haven't had any issues with the line failing or anything like that. But since j braid is cheap I think it's worth it to pay a bit more for a known brand. 

again, thanks for sharing your findings. 

hey aquaholic, finally got it to download. wow, thats some good stuff. correct me if i'm wrong but berkley trilene tracer in 20 lb tested the best.....right ? you probably  said already but what are you fishing ? what is uts-gpa ? if you answered that already i apoligize

again, thks and good on ya

UTS is ultimate tensile strength. Strength of the underlying materials varied from 2.2 to 3.9, i.e we never know if the spool we get is made from good spectra or low grade spectra, think Chinese fake power pro.

I send you a link that has very good detailed discussion. It's on another site so I can't post link here.

Yes fireline tracer braid 20lbs is good but not sure if they make them any more plus we never know if we are going to get the good one.

Edited by aquaholik