JohnP

Your favorite epoxy ?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I can't believe people still use UV cure acrylics. I have no use for a tacky surf candy that's going to shatter the first time it makes contact with a rock/gunnel.

One of the reasons I now do a lot of my Candies with Loon Thick is that it does not shatter when I hit my engine cowling with the fly.  Shattered candies were never an issue with me until I got my own boat three seasons ago and started fishing out of the stern sometimes.  I would occasionally whack the engine and my DevCon 5 min or 30 min epoxy candies would crack and shatter.  The Loon Thick has just a little flex and give to it and does not crack on me.

But I still use DevCon epoxy quite a bit, especially as a first coat when working with bucktail, or when doing big 3/0 or 4/0 candies.  Epoxy just works better for me for them.  For smaller flies 1/0 and down, the Loon does well imo.  I tried Tuff Fleye and CCG and did not like them.

Just recently I have been working with Solarez Flex for some flies and it has potential, but "the jury is still out."

I gave up on epoxy a long time ago, I can make any fly made with epoxy using Liquid Fusion and that stuff remains crystal clear forever. 

post-26978-0-20190800-1472386191.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick

One of the reasons I now do a lot of my Candies with Loon Thick is that it does not shatter when I hit my engine cowling with the fly.  Shattered candies were never an issue with me until I got my own boat three seasons ago and started fishing out of the stern sometimes.  I would occasionally whack the engine and my DevCon 5 min or 30 min epoxy candies would crack and shatter.  The Loon Thick has just a little flex and give to it and does not crack on me.

But I still use DevCon epoxy quite a bit, especially as a first coat when working with bucktail, or when doing big 3/0 or 4/0 candies.  Epoxy just works better for me for them.  For smaller flies 1/0 and down, the Loon does well imo.  I tried Tuff Fleye and CCG and did not like them.

Just recently I have been working with Solarez Flex for some flies and it has potential, but "the jury is still out."

Solarex,takes longer to cure than others I have used,long term....?

Loon UV knot sense,cures quickly, tack free,flexible.

Hit it hard enough against a rock or gunnel and any coating will be damaged.

Local66 , whenever you'd like I will gladly send you some surf candies tied with Tuffleye Core. I pay for my resin and all materials , if used correctly they are not tacky and very durable.

I wish I got my UV resins for free. They make up a big portion of my tying budget, but I still feel that they are worth it. Otherwise I would not use them! Sometimes a fly will break on a fish, de-hooking the fly or hittin the boat or rock. Usually there's something wrong with that fly. Either it was not fully cured and I was too hasty with the nail studio or the resin was not properly pushed inside the fly.

Loon thick and Solarez thick are my favorites. The Solarez flex is awesome too. Never tried the Tuffleye, but all the others on the market I have and don't really like any of them. Would use epoxy over all the other resins out there and actually still use epoxy for certain stuff.

Doing an inventory lately (the past couple of days) I find that I have open bottles of Devcon 5-minute epoxy; unopened bottles of Devcon 2-ton, Z-poxy, and Flex-Coat (this left over from prior dabblings in rod building.)  I should be OK for awhile.

Some older epoxied flies have turned yellow; others are red. this probably reflects interactions with head cement. Ah, but do the fish care? I don't know. Since most of my flies get smashed by sloppy backcasts, bitten off by small bluefish, or destroyed by repeated collisions with a jetty or riprap, it's not a pressing problem.  By the time I'd done with the 5-minute stuff , my flies should look a lot prettier.

I also still use epoxy, and prefer the Devcon in at least a 30 minute cure time. The longer the better IMO. I don't care if they yellow over time, and neither do the fish in my experience.  :)

How long are we talking here for them to yellow using 30 min devcon?? The 5 min yellowed quickly on me but so far the 30 mins are going strong... I normally keep them stored in the dark and just take a handful with me when I fish and hopefully if all is right in the world they dont make it passed a day of getting the snot knocked out of them.. And they get  tossed in the box of old dead epoxys and new ones get swapped in..  

How long are we talking here for them to yellow using 30 min devcon?? The 5 min yellowed quickly on me but so far the 30 mins are going strong... I normally keep them stored in the dark and just take a handful with me when I fish and hopefully if all is right in the world they dont make it passed a day of getting the snot knocked out of them.. And they get  tossed in the box of old dead epoxys and new ones get swapped in..

The longer the cure time, the longer they'll stay clear. I use threadmaster for a finish, devcon 30 minute for everything else. I've never had one turn yellow.

A thought crosses my mind. If your fly only needs one use of epoxy, you could tie in winter and then finish with epoxy in the spring, or as needed. That's admittedly less practical with a fly that needs more then one coat.I think I might amuse myself that way, tie this fall and through epoxy around next spring. 

Some flies may call for a yellowed body. Just limiting ourselves to striped bass, their vision is most acute in the yellow-green-chartreuse parts of the spectrum. In low light, a yellowed head would be a different shade of gray from the rest of a fly's body (assuming that you don't tie with gray fiber or feathers), exactly as the classic red head/white body plugs, and as the Loving's Bass Fly.   Is this really a problem? I suspect it's really aesthetics, but I have to admit I like a clear head myself. 

Another thought, quite unrelated.  Isn't it amazing to look at bonefishdick facing the camera with his namesake fish, at the bottom of his posts, and compare it with the avatar of him going away in a yellow bikini? You'd never know it's the same person.

I used Devcon 60 or 90 minute epoxy when I could get it, as I often made flies in large batches, usually doing all the epoxy coating at once. My two rotators can handle almost 50 flies. I've noticed yellowing but as stated with these longer sets time epoxies it was only a slight yellowish tint. If the epoxy was coated over a lighter color, the yellowing might be seen, but not if coated over a dark color. I never did a lot of Candies, so that was not a problem for me, and those I did make again only a slight yellowish stain if I kept them for a long period. 

I still have some popper & slider bodies, mounted on hooks & painted, that I epoxied over several years ago, and only those that were painted white is any yellowing evident. They lloked white when I first made them, not they're closer to a "cream" color. 

IMO, it's more of a problem to us, aesthetics as you've said Brian, than to the fish and for folks who make & use their flies in short order, it should not be a problem at all. 

I tend to make more flies than I need, and store them, something I did when I was tying commercially, so have seen the yellowing issue. I had other problems with using 5 minute epoxy, including the yellowing and once I started using the longer set time stuff, all those issues were resolved.