JohnP

Your favorite epoxy ?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Have you tried topping them with 'hard as nails'? (yes, I have my wife do the purchasing for me...LOL). It won't permanently prevent them from yellowing. But I strongly feel it delays the process. I have flies I tied from the past two years that haven't yellowed, and I normally just buy the cheapest 5 min clear stuff I can find (although I 'splurged' up to that gorilla brand for my latest batches)

Devcon 2-ton.  Curing is slooooowwww.

A gent who used to post here often, Perfessa or something close to that, noted that the chemical interaction between epoxy and head cement or other fly-tying chemistry significantly accelerates yellowing.  I'm going to tie a few Deceivers with cement and 5-minute epoxy, with 5-minute only, and with 2-ton or other slow epoxy last.  Put 'em away in the dark if I don't tie them all simultaneously, then expose them all to the same amount of sun, and see what happens.The results might be instructive. 

I can't believe people still use epoxy with all the UV cured stuff out there. Once I moved to UV cured I never looked back. Say NO amber flies! lol :laugh:

Edited by Striperknight

Devcon 2-ton.  Curing is slooooowwww.

A gent who used to post here often, Perfessa or something close to that, noted that the chemical interaction between epoxy and head cement or other fly-tying chemistry significantly accelerates yellowing.  I'm going to tie a few Deceivers with cement and 5-minute epoxy, with 5-minute only, and with 2-ton or other slow epoxy last.  Put 'em away in the dark if I don't tie them all simultaneously, then expose them all to the same amount of sun, and see what happens.The results might be instructive.

Too much time on your hands BrianBm!

I can't believe people still use epoxy with all the UV cured stuff out there. Once I moved to UV cured I never looked back. Say NO amber flies! lol :laugh:

Striper knight,

I think epoxies still have their uses though greatly reduced.

i use uv resin but I also still use epoxy. In fact I use 30 minute epoxy more then resin for one simple reason, price. I only tie what I need when I need it so yellowing is not an issue and when it does occur it does not bother me. For me the price of uv resin is insane. When I run out of it I'm not in that much of a hurry to replace it just as I'm not in that much of a hurry for a head to dry.

I can't believe people still use UV cure acrylics. I have no use for a tacky surf candy that's going to shatter the first time it makes contact with a rock/gunnel.

I can't believe people still use UV cure acrylics. I have no use for a tacky surf candy that's going to shatter the first time it makes contact with a rock/gunnel.

You've mentioned the shattering before, and I kept a close eye on my flies last winter as I fished the jetties heavily. I only had one crack on me. I've had epoxy ones break on me as well.  Yes the price for UV is expensive but the not have to spin flies is worth it.  Is threadmaster a  epoxy or some other topcoat?

You've mentioned the shattering before, and I kept a close eye on my flies last winter as I fished the jetties heavily. I only had one crack on me. I've had epoxy ones break on me as well. Yes the price for UV is expensive but the not have to spin flies is worth it. Is threadmaster a epoxy or some other topcoat?

Other people's flies aren't my concern. There's entirely too much disinformation on the web concerning UV cure acrylics from guys who don't even pay for the products they use. I don't listen to anyone anymore. I have bug-bond, tuffleye, CCG, Loon, and Silver Creek at my desk, and at least 4 different lights. Silver Creek is ok, but it's not epoxy. The rest could go in the trash and I wouldn't miss it.

Other people's flies aren't my concern. There's entirely too much disinformation on the web concerning UV cure acrylics from guys who don't even pay for the products they use. I don't listen to anyone anymore. I have bug-bond, tuffleye, CCG, Loon, and Silver Creek at my desk, and at least 4 different lights. Silver Creek is ok, but it's not epoxy. The rest could go in the trash and I wouldn't miss it.

For the record I  pay for mine. :) I get what you are saying.