Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMC22

Ireland fly fishing help

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Heading to Ireland the second week of october for two weeks. I would love to get some fish on the fly while I am over there. Will be traveling all over. If anyone has fished over there or has any knowledge I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!

SMC22

Here's my post from last year on my fishing day in Ireland. Search "Robert Love Fishing Ireland" on the internet and you'll find his website.

Posted October 25 2015 - 3:45 AM

Finally reporting back on August Dublin trip. I took a taxi from downtown out to Celbridge, about a 30 minute ride, where I met guide Robert Love. Fished several spots on the River Liffey, caught maybe a dozen brown trout and one 6 inch salmon. Missed just as many who took the fly but spit it out before I set the hook. Most fish were 8-10 inches with several larger. The biggest fish was the last of the day, see photo.

I booked an 8 hour day which was perfect. For about half the day I was French nymphing (don’t tell your wife/girlfriend that you’re doing that), dry flies the rest of the day. Robert said that in late August they get hatches and rising trout only in the evening, but we had rain and low light conditions all day, high temp 58F, and bug hatches and rising trout all afternoon. Ireland’s summer weather is cool by US mid-Atlantic standards, good weather for summer trout fishing.

Robert grew up fishing the waters where he now guides. He is also the head ghillie (guide) at nearby Carton house, primarily a golf resort but also offers fishing and other outdoor pursuits.

It was the best day of the trip, Robert was a pleasure to fish with. Scooleen you should check him out for a possible bachelor party outing. Maybe Carton house golf/fishing combo package? Google “Robert Love fishing Ireland” for info.

Thanks to all for the advice/recommendations.

post-6054-0-87811500-1445758393.jpg

Edited by RH37

Oct is a great time for European Bass. Either the Copper Coast or deep into Kerry. Much harder work than Stripers but worth it.

If you want great salt water I can hook you up with John Quinnlan in Waterville who is a wonderful Salt and FW Guide. Ridiculously cheap compared to USA Guides. He does accommodation as well. Google up Thatch Cottage Ireland and you will find him.  John can give you Bass and Trout and if conditions are right salmon.

If you want DIY you can do so but you will go down many twisty dead end lanes but thats part of the game. Just like when I first came to the USA. LOL

For salt think 10 wt. 

Mike