IslandSurf

Crackle Paint Job

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Having issues trying to do my first crackle jobs..The main issue being the crackle not showing up lol.I bought Folk Art crackle medium as a test painted the plug black applied the medium let it dry then applied the white and nothing happened.Anyone have any tips with this?

Did you hit it with a heat gun? My understanding is a key step in crackling is heat to cause the crackle medium to contract...

Note: I've not tried crackle yet, just something I have gleaned from browsing posts..... 

I think letting it dry is the issue. I believe the premise behind the crackle effect is that the top layer dries while the lower layer is still wet. Causing the crackle effect.

Let us know how it goes, I tried it same as you, got nuttin. Don from Afterhours does some of the best crackle I've seen yet.

Try googling "crackle finish with elmers glue". Apparently you can use elmers instead of crackle medium, and one of the sites gives a lot of info on how it's done and how to manage the effects.

Try this. Apply your base, let dry. Then apply crackle medium, while medium still wet, apply top color. The airbrush air pressure will cause it to crack as well and use hair dryer will set the cracks and will cause cracks to open up more. Play around with it. -Mike

Edited by canalmadman79

So I figured it out ,I had it done perfectly with a white base coat and a black overcoat so the cracks showed up white.It looked epic....But epic wasn't enough for me so I took red and tryed to spray all the white cracks red and while doing so I killed the contrast of the black.So ****ing pissed right now I stripped all the paint off and will do it again tommorow after work.I always ruin **** by trying to make stuff a little bit better.

So I figured it out ,I had it done perfectly with a white base coat and a black overcoat so the cracks showed up white.It looked epic....But epic wasn't enough for me so I took red and tryed to spray all the white cracks red and while doing so I killed the contrast of the black.So ******* pissed right now I stripped all the paint off and will do it again tommorow after work.I always ruin **** by trying to make stuff a little bit better.

So enlighten us on your findings. I would love to know. Been thinking about trying it