surf bag recommendations

Rate this topic

Delzea

i was planning on purchasing the shimano bluewave surf bag today.

i did some research on this sight and the bag seems to have mixed reviews but overall sounds like a decent bag for the coin.

i figured before i head out i'd ask advice here on bags in the same price range-my limit is $100 for a bag.

thanks in advance

Dave

I had one, sold it because:

1. Too heavy the tubes are very heavy and the oveall bag is too heavy.

2.. Storage system for tins & Bucktails while looking handy sometimes allows the item to slip thru the loops an out the side, happened too often when you open the bag.

3.  Square tubes too small. System designed for smaller plugs too complicated.

I have the small shimano and I like it. You can pack a lot of stuff into it. I actually line the loops for the exact reason Bogey doesn't like it. Personal preference. If you get one, go on Amazon and get a padded shoulder strap. The one that comes with it is crap. With the padded strap I have, I can wear the bag fully loaded all day. Probably couldn't do that with the larger bag because it would weigh more. When it comes to filling my bag I have no self control. LOL

Okuma makes one (also can be found on Amazon) for about $35. Nice bag with no bells and whistles. Very simple - tubes only with a small front pouch. Don't get the big one or you'll fill it to the gills and you won't be able to carry it long (if you have no self control over what you pack, like me).

I've had the larger bluewave for several years now and I've been happy with it.  Like mentioned above it can get heavy.  I like the square tubes as opposed to the round tubes.  I try to keep it simple so I usually put one plug in each tube and if I'm fishing at night I know what plug is where if It's to dark to clearly see.  I think the biggest I fit in there was a 3 1/2 oz Gibbs polaris popper.  I haven't had a problem with anything falling out of the front storage but I can see where it's possible. 

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

I have the large shimano as well. Good bag but definitely on the heavy side. I have finally caved and realized I need to buy a better strap because it puts too much stress on my shoulder during longer outings. As far as price is concerned I feel its the best bang for your buck. With that said I just watched the supreme review and it looks like a great bag. 

Edited by captahab416

i had the shimano but as many said above too heavy. i bought the supreme for $60 and free shipping from some place called poisidon fishing or something like that. it is a nice bag. i definitely prefer it to the shimano....good luck

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

i went to my local shop yesterday and they had both the shimano and the supreme bag.

the guys there seemed to prefer the shimano over the supreme and they never steered me wrong before-so i got the shimano.

took it out for a test run this A M for a couple hours and i loved it and had no issues with weight.

this is my first bag and i don't know how i fished without one before

I picked up the medium bag this past spring. It has made my life much easier. I use the mesh pocket for a water bottle, never had luck with the mesh on any bag, it's been cut out of every tackle bag i have owned. Darn treble hooks. My only issue with it is the square tube design with the small holes in the sides of them. Hooks also get through them and have to pull the tube/tubes out to unhook them. Good overall bag though.