September RI Visit

Rate this topic

outdoorsman

The Tropical storm may stall off the Delaware and NJ/LI NY coast Sunday Monday. That should refresh the inshore waters with cooler water.

Yeah, I'm hoping this storm gets out of here before I get down there next Friday! 

Anybody have any thoughts on fishing post-hurricane down that way?  The fishing is probably pretty good right before the low pressure...but after the low might be tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just giving my report from the weekend.  Made it down there pretty early on Friday and fished the Point Judith area through today.  Talk about sea bass city!  Some pretty big ones too in the deeper waters.  Scup and tog mixed in depending on the location, but only a few scup and one of the tog were keepers.  Also got some sea robins, sand sharks, and a cunner.  Didn't find any fluke.  Fished for albies too for a few hours and were successful.  We ended up landing 8 and lost/missed a few more.  Other boats didn't seem to be doing much, only saw one other guy hooked up.  Not much surface activity, but they were there.  This was my first time ever fishing for albies, so I thought we did pretty well.  What crazy drag-screaming fighters!

Today was a bust...was stuck in the Harbor of Refuge due to the wind and waves where we only caught small fish but also some random, cool species like lizardfish and Northern Kingfish. 

DSCN0564_zpsbqay07mg.jpg

DSCN0565_zpsezmmdvws.jpg

DSCN0588_zpsjgmvlair.jpg

DSCN0594_zpshrgjxrux.jpg

DSCN0598_zpsqs19u4db.jpg

DSCN0602_zps6ovlezrh.jpg

Edited by outdoorsman

Good Job . I look at as if something is biting I'm having fun also the reason i only saltwater fish . You never know whats going to come over the Rail . Frind of mine sent me a pic a week ago while Fluke fishing got a 5 foot Thresher and landed it on a fluke rig . we make our own monster fluke rigs so don't think it was one of those $3.95 Benny's ones 

Top Drawer Sport fishing " We Put Everything Into It "

Some friends got together and went out on a 6 pack out of Point Judith on the 12th. Just over 2 hour drive from NH. Caught some nice stripers up to 39" and lot's of sea bass. You guys are right it is a great area to fish. Glad you had fun Outdoorsman.

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

Good Job . I look at as if something is biting I'm having fun also the reason i only saltwater fish . You never know whats going to come over the Rail . Frind of mine sent me a pic a week ago while Fluke fishing got a 5 foot Thresher and landed it on a fluke rig . we make our own monster fluke rigs so don't think it was one of those $3.95 Benny's ones

Thats right,,, the $3.95 ones only catch boom boxes. ,,,,,

"Growing old is inevitable growing UP is optional"
"Rock and Roll never Dies it just passes out"

Launch at Wilson Park, Wickford.  There should be some small bluefish around at that time.

Forget about stripers. Ground fishing should pick up with scup and sea bass outside the harbor mouth around the many rock piles.

This area offers some protection for small boaters. 

Lots of blueshell crabs still around, but I think you have to be a residence. 

Capt. is there no public launch closer to the open sea than Wilson?

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

Pier #5 in Narragansett at the end of the wall, south of the Towers and Coast Guard House.  

Parking is very limited.

There are a just a few parking spaces on the breakwall for trailers.

There is two more to the right of the clam shack.

You could also park your trailer along the wall.

Where exactly do you want to fish, would be a bigger help to narrow it down more?

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I went out of Point Judith last week, quick easy out to sea.

That's where I went out of last weekend, and it was a good starting point.  Nice launch spot for sure.  The only thing is on the last day I was there, the waves outside of the breakwalls were too big for my boat (and the 20-22 foot boats that thought they were going out but decided not to).  Fishing wasn't too good in the Harbor of Refuge (though I'll bet it can be at the right time)...I was kind of wishing I had gone out further up into the bay that day as I'll bet some areas up that way were fishable.