Crackers

Special Needs Fishing Event NYC CAST For Kids

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I am hosting an event for CAST for Kids. CAST is an organization that lets disabled children go out and enjoy a great day of fishing. I am posting here because I am looking for volunteers or participants. If you know anybody who could participate or volunteer let them know about this event. It is a great cause and hope i get a a good response. I have put a brief description below of the event. Thanks to all in advance. 

I am excited to be hosting a first of its kind fishing event for special needs children on September 18 at the Harlem Meer in Central Park, NYC. I am co-sponsoring this event with Cast for Kids. My goal for this event is to give these children the chance to enjoy fishing as much as I do!

• Are you a fisherman? Volunteer to be a fishing buddy for a participating child.
  • Would you like to volunteer? Other volunteers are needed to register children and their families, organize the picnic and snacks, and run our awards ceremony to close out the day.
  • Willing to sponsor? Your dollars or in-kind donations will provide fishing equipment, food, award plaques, and other necessities to make the event a success for the children.
I hope you will join me as a volunteer and / or sponsor.  

Please visit the link below to make a donation, register to volunteer, or to register a child to participate:

http://castforkids.org/event/harlemmeercentralpark

The day will begin with volunteers arriving at 7:30am. Children and their parents arrive at 8:30am. The children will pre-register and will receive a C.A.S.T. t-shirt and hat, rod and reel and tackle box to keep as their own. Breakfast will be served before they are paired, along with a parent or guardian, with an experienced fisherman and head out around the Meer for 3 hours of fishing. Lunch for all and an awards ceremony will follow where each child is presented with a plaque as a memento of this very special day

If you know anyone who may be interested in participating in any way please share my email.

Cast for Kids is special to me because it provides participating children the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and catch the special thrill of fishing.

Max Marcus
Event Organizer NYC
(917) 957-1603 (Deborah)
(917) 332-9926 (Max)

Max, thanks for posting. Great idea, I will be a sponsor in memory of a good friend of mine who passed away much too young. Tell me, will this pond be stocked for the kids? 

Thanks for helping out. The pond will not be stocked specifically for the event but it is stocked periodically. The event is at the Harlem Meer, one of the ponds in Central Park. 

Having fished the Harlem Meer, I can tell you that it is loaded with (stunted) LMB. Nothing has much size, but there are certain areas where there's usually pretty constant action. Good place to introduce kids to fishing. 

Thanks JMei for the response I'm a NYC local and I've fished Central park since i was twelve (not saying much bc I'm only 16). Not one of my favorite ponds to fish in the city but for the special needs kids some of whom will be coming in wheelchairs it has the best access as the entire pond is wheelchair accessible. Plus it has tons of bluegills, great for the kids. 

Bump for a good cause. We are looking for volunteers and participants so please spread the word. Also would this thread be better served in the general fishing forum (moderator)?