DaveCap

Anyone fighting arthritis while casting?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Been battling psoriatic arthritis and carpal tunnel for awhile. The arthritis has been in my wrists this month. Next month, who knows? Anyone have any stretching exercises relating to casting? Or any type of brace or similar they'd like to recommend?

I have problems with my casting arm elbow, may not be arthritis but, pain. I wear a copper fit compression sleeve and it helps. Not sure if this would help you but, believe the have them for wrists also.

Been battling psoriatic arthritis and carpal tunnel for awhile. The arthritis has been in my wrists this month. Next month, who knows? Anyone have any stretching exercises relating to casting? Or any type of brace or similar they'd like to recommend?

Look up night shades diet. Pm me if youd like

I get carpal tunnel problems and tendinitis in the forearm if I use commercial (factory) rod grips for any length of time. They are all too narrow for my hands (I don't know how anybody uses them, to be honest, but that's up to them.)

I now build my own rods with "Maniform" grips or modify factory rods to give me grips that are big enough (and ergonomic) to use properly.

At the very least, try wrapping your cork with tennis racket grip tape and see if that helps. If it does, keep investigating until you find something that suits your aesthetics.

Cheers,

Graeme

I get carpal tunnel problems and tendinitis in the forearm if I use commercial (factory) rod grips for any length of time. They are all too narrow for my hands (I don't know how anybody uses them, to be honest, but that's up to them.)

I now build my own rods with "Maniform" grips or modify factory rods to give me grips that are big enough (and ergonomic) to use properly.

At the very least, try wrapping your cork with tennis racket grip tape and see if that helps. If it does, keep investigating until you find something that suits your aesthetics.

Cheers,

Graeme

I have problems with my index finger and thumb. I have found the maniform grips to help me immensley. I don't get the twist I had with standard grips. Straighter tip movement. I have been changing all my sage rods with them. As for stretches in the hands I have a Masseur in Brisbane Australia who has been amazing. He stretches the thumb muscles and massages the thick muscle at the base of the thumb as well as my forearms. I ve got a lot of power back in my grip and with the maniform grips can cast again as I could. I also use voltaren gel and if necessary Mobic capsule. It won't beat my passion for flyfishing. I have also started playing around with Switch rods so I can use 2 hands instead of 1. The good massage on my hands had freed up and reduced the pain in my joints. It took a few sessions before it started helping but now I get it done very 2 weeks. I hope this helps. Regards Emanuel

One thing to think about is adjusting your casting technique to your physic. I have rheumatism and hard stops and static holds are real poison for me. Fortunately, you don't really need to do them to cast good. As long as your timing, tracking and double haul is good, hard stops are not needed to cast tight loops and make efficient fishing casts.

Every year I wonder what it is going to be like when the season starts. I have my good days and my bad days. 

I find that one of the best ways to get yourself through the day sometimes can be to just tuck the rod in the arm pit and strip the line hand over hand, I don't think people often think about the amount of stress placed on the wrist and forearm trying to support the weight of a long fly rod all day long. It does make a difference.

I use stretching exrcises on wrists and shoulders daily to ease the tightness caused by Arthur. Works good for a few hours casting. Once home it's ice and single malt.

I'm out now with tennis elbow but I also get carpal issues in my right hand and arthritis in my left wrist. When carpal flares I'm like Hirdy - I built a couple rods with oversized grips I made from closed cell foam I got years ago from Clemens. Aesthetically awful (one is camo!) but it does seem to help. My hand is a little deformed from scar tissue from a prior surgery so the grip I made seems to help that. When wrist arthritis gets me though I wake up and feel like my wrist is broken, which was really bad when I was playing in bands. Haven't found any OTC med or exercise that dealt with it other than rest for a day or 22 then it just disappears, sometimes for months or even more. For all of these maladies it does seem that using my 8 weight instead of my 9 or 10 makes it a lot easier on me. Also when fighting fish putting the extension butt in my gut and using both hands helps. I epoxy Bahamian coins (they have bonefish on them) into the extension and there are days you can almost see the imprint in the fat...I mean in my stomach..!

I forgot the other tip: use shorter rods. If your casting is good, your distance won't suffer. Mending is the only drawback with shorter rods. Otherwise, it's all good. Lower swing weights and better fish-fighting capacity ...

Cheers,

Graeme

post-1824-0-02708000-1471365475.jpgpost-1824-0-76707900-1471365516.jpgHey Dave,

What Hirdy says.  I don't have arthritis - but all my new personal rods are ordered as 8'9" blanks from CTS.  The 3" does make a difference.

I have a friend who has RA and he requested a special grip to help him fight a fish similar to the Beulah Blue Water.  It has an extended grip.

I have small hands so my grips are on the narrow side.  If you need larger diameter grips on the CTS rods I will, as an experiment, remove the old grip and install a larger diameter grip.

All my new personal rods now have "Ritz" shaped grips https://www.google.com/search?q=ritz+fly+rod+grip&rlz=1T4PLXB_enUS650US652&tbm=isch&imgil=4PMhL6WiGS58UM%253A%253BwytnXR-_uvIAOM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.rodbuildingforum.com%25252Findex.php%25253Fshowtopic%2525253D25246&source=iu&pf=m&fir=4PMhL6WiGS58UM%253A%252CwytnXR-_uvIAOM%252C_&usg=__UpRkgOqv8nWivR0PAAqYFZEOo7w%3D&biw=1280&bih=558&ved=0ahUKEwjPz-fvrsbOAhWI2yYKHTjkAmkQyjcIKQ&ei=skCzV8-uN4i3mwG4yIvIBg#imgrc=4PMhL6WiGS58UM%3A.

However - my friend with RA has a Loomis 9wt NRX - the only thing he likes about it is the very narrow grip.  So he wants me to turn down the grip I made to match the (narrow) NRX.

So this is all over the place.

But the offer stands to do what ever you need.  I do have 3 sample full wells grips that I send to customers to determine grip size on their rods.  I can send you the largest grip if you wish - just to test - or - easier - turn down your current grips to a narrower grip.

Regards,

Herb

Edited by HL

I've had many years of shoulder,wrist and elbow casting problems and found that going lighter (7 wt and 8 wt) makes a huge difference. Also I bought a 7/8 Beulah TH set-up and can cast it painlessly (and for big distances).