Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Starting to do research, have gone through a couple of lesser quality bags over the past couple of years and thinking its never to early to start giving  my wife some gift ideas for December. Looking at Ebbpoint, Commando and Gearup bags but for the life of me can't figure out how one would go about buying one of them?

I assume like much of the quality stuff we use, these are small, family run companies but I can't even get website for these manufactuers. ANy help or contact information is much appreciated, thanks.   

The Surfcaster carries gear up bags as last I know. Can't help you with the others, I think commando is not making bags anymore but I could be wrong. I like my gear up bag, well made and looks knew after 3 years.

Some of the smaller family companies fulfill orders thru Facebook.  I bought a belt from Flatlander Surf that was good quality.  They make some nice bags.  However, I recently bought a Supreme bag.  Has held up well and it was not expensive. 

I have a Commando bag but don't think they are doing bags any more, and Ebbpoint isn't either. There are always bags in the BST section and a lot are like brand new.....Jack

I've been through a lot of so called "surf bags" and the best ones (that work for me) can be found, ironically, at Lowes or Home Depot, heavy duty tool bags for around $50. Just got an AWP HP back pack bag at Lowes and this thing is the BEST fishing bag that I've ever used. It has lure loops galore (really made for tools) all over it, inside and out. The bottom is like a tire tread so you can put the thing in water or mud or gasoline or whatever, the material can withstand any hook imaginable or any sort of abuse that you can think of. They are light weight. The shoulder straps are padded as well as the backing for comfortable carrying. There are many other designs to choose from. Really pleased with mine. Just my 2 pennies.

Ebbpoint and Commando no longer are in production. Mak,Gear Up and Flatlander still are. There are a few smaller guys as well. Nick (ebbpoint) sold his stuff to someone who is starting to sell some stuff now but I won't mention his name because I don't know if he's officially open for business.

Flatlander is currently the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Get in touch with Jamie. He's a terrific guy, very willing to discuss your needs and explain his product. He's got an incredible line of products providing many options and flexibility. Quality and level of design are impeccable.

I got a Flatlander Back Bay. It's an awesome bag and I'm sure the rest of his line is the same top notch quality. If you end getting one be sure to place an order soon. There's a reason Jamie is backed up. I had to wait a few months to get mine. Worth it though.

another endorsement for Gear Up and Flatlander, depending on your budget.

MAK makes a more budget friendly Angler series that ive been happy with, is available, and covers most applications besides dedicated wetsuiting imho

i dont have experience with MAKs Surfcaster series, but thats their more custom, high end line