Need Rod Advice

Rate this topic

ARoz

Hey Guys,

Need some advice for rods that will be able to handle 16-20 ozs of weight plus bait bottom fishing Long Island Sound in 100-150ft of water. I am looking for something that would have enough backbone to give a solid hook set yet be sensitive enough to pick up fluke bites on it in deep water. I am thinking of using a conventional truth reel SG as my reel to pair up with it. Any ideas or guidance is much appreciated along with where the rods can be purchased would be awesome. Thanks! 

Not sure what the currents are like where you're fishing and why you need so much weight in only 100-150ft. Take a look at the Black Hole Challenger blanks.

Certain areas we fish have strong rips when the tides are right. There are days we go out there and we fish with 20 oz sinkers and still have to let out 300 yds of line to even have a shot at holding bottom. I always try to fish as light as possible because reeling up 16-20 oz sinkers 100+ ft up isn't fun, but lots of times we need 16-20 ozs just to get by. I use a 6'3 Shimano Trevala MH usually up to around 12 oz without a problem, but when you put on any more the rod loses its setting power I have found. I wish they made a Heavy power and X-Heavy Trevala, but Shimano hasn't done that yet I guess.

Lol for me to fluke on those conditions every fish better be ten lbs or better. Any way sounds like u need a deep drop rod or a heavy cod rod. Do a search on here and I'm sure u will find plenty of answers for cod and deep drop rods.

I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THIS BUT AFTER ALL THIS TIME ................. IM STILL KIND OF A BIG DEAL.