Spheros SW vs. Saragosa SW for surf plugging?

Rate this topic

Mike D

The spheros 600 is 16 oz. I got one for my 10' and liked it do much I got another. Believe it or not I've used it on both a 6'6" tidemaster and an 11 ft Lamiglass 1322. My ssv6500 is usually on the Lamiglass. The SSV needs cleaning a lot, it's not well sealed and it makes for a heavy rig on the 1322, the spheros lightens it up and handles everything very well, and is far better sealed.

I also read reviews on the saragosa and spheros. They appear to be almost the same reel. I did have a Saragosa 6k and 8k that had a wobble, didn't feel it much while fishing. If you are going to get a Saragosa look at the rotor deforestation buying for the wobble. The 10k size seems to not have this issue.. good luck

Which model of the TFO Tactical series is that?

Hi ZAFisher,

The rod the Saragosa SW 6K is mated to is the TFO GTS 9 foot model which was updated this past year. The rod is a striking blue color with Fuji Concept Guides. You can follow a thread discussion (below) which I started a couple of weeks ago.

For GTs / Billy Jacks this rod would really be "right" for that kind of fishing. It's fast with a stout butt section. It might be too fast for some types of fishing (fisherman's preferences) ... but just right for big Bluefish or Pelagics. 

Check out the thread / review here:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/659576-tfo-gts-surf-rod-opinions/

Catch a Big One!

post-36317-0-81171600-1470313062.jpg

RockfishOn!! :cool:

I use those guides often on my own and my client's surf rods.

Nice that TFO are no longer using the Fong Kong copies.

Real Fuji ones are much stronger and slicker to boot.

Not a big fan of parabolic rods.

Fast is good in my books.

To each their own.

A 6000 size is all you need. The choice comes down to gear ratio for me since the Saragosa is not available in lower gear ratio until you get up to the bigger size. I wanted the lower gear ratio of the Spheros for jungle fishing with snappers where you can't give them an inch. No finesse here. Locked down drag, 30lbs braid to 40lb mono to 1-2 oz egg sinker, bead, swivel, and 40lb fluro on a 7ft MH Loomis 12-25lb Pro Blue rod. Set the hook and the fight is over in 3 secs. Either you turn them quickly or they cut you off.

19%20inch%20snappers_zpsjwdqrnn6.jpg

20160731_144051_zpsgro0usq3.jpg

The Spheros is a simple sealed reel and real easy to work with. It's so cheap from Japan(under $150 shipped) that I replaced all my larger Stradic with them since the 5:7 to 1 Stradic has no cranking power for heavy structure fishing.

20160613_152641_zpsy1snbqpn.jpg

The bushing upgrade is simple. I swear it's smoother now that it's broken in. A lot more free spinning yet it remains quiet.

When I'm deciding between different models from the same company, I always buy the more expensive ones when I have the cash like Spheros vs Saragosa, Stradic FJ vs Sustain FG, Stradic CI4 vs Twinpower, and Twinpower SW vs Stella SW. I believe there is a reason why the other similar model is more expensive because if not, no one will buy the more expensive model. If the more expensive model is discontinued, it means that it is not worth it and customers don't buy it. Between Spheros and Gosa, I believe Gosa has back-up dog and more bearing than a Spheros. I bought the Gosa.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with the Gosa SW but now I have to decide if the 6000 or 8000 is the right size for my 10' Lami Super Surf.  It feels very tip heavy without a reel on it due to the length and guides.  The 6000 will hold appx 250 yds of 40lb braid.  I like the line capacity of the 8000 better but the reel weight goes from 16.5 oz to 22 oz.   Does anyone own a Saragosa 8000SW and is it too big/heavy for plugging the surf? 

"Sea shore washed by the suds and the foam, been here so long he's got to callin it home"

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with the Gosa SW but now I have to decide if the 6000 or 8000 is the right size for my 10' Lami Super Surf.  It feels very tip heavy without a reel on it due to the length and guides.  The 6000 will hold appx 250 yds of 40lb braid.  I like the line capacity of the 8000 better but the reel weight goes from 16.5 oz to 22 oz.   Does anyone own a Saragosa 8000SW and is it too big/heavy for plugging the surf? 

I own both (Gosa SW 6k & 8K). I'm in the process of getting a TFO GTS 10.5 foot rod (very fast & heavy duty) ... the 8K will go on that rod. I also have a custom Lamiglas in 9.5 foot ... the 8K will also be used on that rod given it's design.  Yes it is a significant increase in reel weight ... but the capacity & drag are substantially more as well. Also keep in mind that the 8K will take a 10K spool (they are interchange-able).  The 6K is interchange-able with the 5K spool.

The idea I have is that the 8k will hold 300 yards of 40lbs test Sufix 832 braid with room to spare for a shock / finger casting leader ... precluding line over lip spillage.  Or it will take 50lbs test braid right at or just under 300 yards.

Just some thoughts. Good Luck.

RockfishOn!! :cool: