Mike D

Spheros SW vs. Saragosa SW for surf plugging?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I've been reading up on these and I'm looking to pick on of them up in the next few weeks.  If anyone has used one or both please let me know what you think.   As we all know. I don't plan to dunk them in the surf but somehow I drop the rod, beaching a fish or a rogue swell comes along and she gets dunked.  I'm confident they'll both perform well, more concerned about how they hold up n the surf.  Thanks

In the reviews I've read (Alan Hawk & different threads) your choice is largely one of aesthetics between the two reels ... and cost. Personally, I've had over the years different Shimanos ... to include the first Aero Spheros made in the late 80s early 90s. A great reel then and now.

But because of what I'll call "the Van Staal" effect ... the current offerings are now "sealed". I'm down with that ... glad they did it as it adds an extra measure of sand grit intrusion control. So my choice ... my trade off wasn't between the Spheros or the Saragosa SW. It's been between the Saragosa SW and the Shimano Ultegra line up ... a distance casting / plugging mechanics trade off.

For me the Saragosa SW line has won out (I have a 6k & 8k) ... for reasons of aesthetics, functionality, ruggedness, etc. Essentially the human factors surrounding the way I'm going to fish the reel, grounded in my past experiences (Shimano product usage) surf & jetty plugging.

post-36317-0-44173100-1470225802.jpg

I really don't think you can go wrong with the two options you're wondering about. Good luck with your fishing!

Picked up a Saragossa 5000 last month, very happy with it. Obviously, it's way smoother than my van stalls and i feel like it casts farther than the vs as well. Still though, I'd rather swim with my VS all day.

Get the Saragossa, you won't be disappointed. Great reel for the money. In fact might be the best reel in its price range.

It has been determined by lots of fairly qualified people that there isn't much noticeable difference between the two reels in terms of performance. So obviously, get the cheaper Spheros. I have one and love it. 

I have both in the 6k size and find the performance to be about the same. huge difference between the 2 is the retrieve. I use the spheros mainly with a 9 ft rod throwing metal lips and the gosa for tins, and poppers or if there is a gnarly wind it helps take up the slack quick

It has been determined by lots of fairly qualified people that there isn't much noticeable difference between the two reels in terms of performance. So obviously, get the cheaper Spheros. I have one and love it.

Totally agree!

I have boiled my rod and reel inventory down to 3 rods. Each rod has a Saragosa. I own a 10K and 2 6's. Love the reels. All loaded with original Fireline in either 14 or 20# test. I had VS. ZB, and all types o Shimano and Diawa. Settled on the Saragosa. Love'em.

Hello: With the older Spheros FB models you can upgrade the bearings from the plastic bushings they have. Very easy reels to work on as well and Shimano still have parts for them if needed. Thanks, Eric

Great feedback, thanks. Been using 8.5' and 9' surf rods for 20 years and just picked up a 10' Lami.   Wondering if the Saragosa 6000 SW is enough or do I need the 8000? Wish a local shop carried these

Edited by Mike D