ksong

IRT (Innovative Reel Technologies) spinning reel 700

Rate this topic

257 posts in this topic

I was approached to send a new ree to mel to be tested claiming the reel is truly made in the US.

I told him not to send the reel if the reel is made in China or assemble the reel in the US from the parts made in China as I had a few bad experiences before. 

The reel arrived today. 

The reel looks solid. I made some research and found the reels are indeed made in PA. 

The smoothness of turning handle is  very nice and is  much better than Van Staal 250 or Zeebass ZX 27.

The weight of the 7000 on the paper is 27 oz, but it weighs 31 oz. I don't know it is 7000 or custom reels as my reel looks different from other 7000 on their website. 

The 7000 reel has max drag of 40 lb with bigger body than VS 250, but they say they catch bluefish, striped bass, mahi, salmon or muskie.  It doesn't make sense to me because I usually catch big tuna with that size of reel. :)

The retail price of the 7000 is $650.  It looks they target high-end market. 

I have yellowtail popping trip to Cedros Island next week and I am going to t20 est the reel along with new Penn Slammer III. 

It is not going to be a good test anyway because most yellowtail there are only 20 -  40 lb range. 

I have another 9 days trip on a long range boat out of San Diego in early Oct. That will be a good opportunity to test the IRT reel and Penn Slammer III as most tuna are in 50 - 120 lb range.

size comparison ( Penn Slammer III, VS 250, IRT7000 and Stella 10000)

20160802_200602_zpsvt3d6omj.jpg

size comparison (VS250, IRT7000 and Zeebass ZX 27)

20160802_202630_zpsewmb0nzp.jpg

20160802_201251_zps0cieh6oi.jpg

20160802_201238_zpsjpgy07h3.jpg

20160802_201143_zps9zj9cgjt.jpg

Innovative Reel Technologies Spinning Reels

Started by lichum, Dec 26 2015 12:50 pm

^^^

For more discussion of the IRT Reel go to this thread  in this forum.

Edited by lichum

looks "interesting".....

certainly a different reel foot design than I've seen before

Yeah.

I like them.

The "sandwich" design is also different.

Edited by lichum

Cool stuff.  I remember litchum's post a while back

WIth that amount of screws...make sure you bring a good screw driver in case they loosen up from boat vibration..... :)

Cool stuff.  I remember litchum's post a while back

WIth that amount of screws...make sure you bring a good screw driver in case they loosen up from boat vibration..... :)

If it happens, it is not a good reel for $650. :)

I made some research about the reel and I found some.from other site.

--------------------

Hi, I guess its about time I get on the forum and hopefully help answer some of the questions concerning the IRT reels. My name is Tim Wiest. I am a partial principal owner and the main engineer for all the reels. I was originally with Penn for 16 years with 11 of the first years as the Manufacturing engineer then the last 5-6 years as the Spinning reel engineer. My first reel was the Liveliner and Slammers and then the 550g series reels. Believe me, we had many cost constrains put on us at the time to only design to a certain cost level. Then I was approached to move the complete Hegins Pa. manufacturing process to China. I didn't feel comfortable with any part of the plans and promptly moved on.
Then I was fortunate enough to run into Greg Header who is an AVID!! sportsman and also a very successful business man with a very state of the art manufacturing facility. His plan was lets build the best reels we can with custom options right here wrapped around his facility. A few more pieces of equipment were bought. We make virtually every piece in the reel right in our facility. We purchase the ball bearings and a few springs and rubber parts. All of those parts are also made in the USA. We are small. We are small and can listen to comments and make instant changes if needed. Believe me, we are all ears to all ideas you guys might have. The reels have been tested on charters for the past few years with some great results and have held up very well. To show the faith that some charters have in our reels, they have offered to become IRT exclusive. The design is somewhat traditional but we stuck with a design we knew was good and solid with great internal support. All the workers that make these parts and assemble were Penn employees. I hope this helps give a little story to who we are and what we plan to do. I must admit, the patented Power grip does feel very normal and comfortable. We hope that gets the recognition it deserves. Thanks again for the interest guys!! Tim

If it happens, it is not a good reel for $650. :)

Anytime i see any reel with a lot of screws it reminds me of all the shimano paladin gears I loc tited for tons of users that i serviced them for..on here and the other tuna board.

I think i may have been the one that reported the issue to shimano

That

ANd my Zeebass literally falling to pieces with the rotor screws coming out and the screws holding the stem to the body loosening  And one of the line rollers completely falling off.  

This without exxagerating a single word happened on a 100lb fish

(how much fun do you thing it was taking off a spool mid fight and using a rusty philips to try to get them seated at least somewhat)

I didn't notice the stem and body screws loose until after the flyer was back on and snug

Hard on soft metal fasteners + boat vibration and salt.........weird things happen :)

Not saying it's going to happen.  But that is something after seeing it and experiencing it enough first hand.  That it is something that i am conscience of

I made some research about the reel and I found some.from other site.

--------------------

Hi, I guess its about time I get on the forum and hopefully help answer some of the questions concerning the IRT reels. My name is Tim Wiest. I am a partial principal owner and the main engineer for all the reels. I was originally with Penn for 16 years with 11 of the first years as the Manufacturing engineer then the last 5-6 years as the Spinning reel engineer. My first reel was the Liveliner and Slammers and then the 550g series reels. Believe me, we had many cost constrains put on us at the time to only design to a certain cost level. Then I was approached to move the complete Hegins Pa. manufacturing process to China. I didn't feel comfortable with any part of the plans and promptly moved on.

Then I was fortunate enough to run into Greg Header who is an AVID!! sportsman and also a very successful business man with a very state of the art manufacturing facility. His plan was lets build the best reels we can with custom options right here wrapped around his facility. A few more pieces of equipment were bought. We make virtually every piece in the reel right in our facility. We purchase the ball bearings and a few springs and rubber parts. All of those parts are also made in the USA. We are small. We are small and can listen to comments and make instant changes if needed. Believe me, we are all ears to all ideas you guys might have. The reels have been tested on charters for the past few years with some great results and have held up very well. To show the faith that some charters have in our reels, they have offered to become IRT exclusive. The design is somewhat traditional but we stuck with a design we knew was good and solid with great internal support. All the workers that make these parts and assemble were Penn employees. I hope this helps give a little story to who we are and what we plan to do. I must admit, the patented Power grip does feel very normal and comfortable. We hope that gets the recognition it deserves. Thanks again for the interest guys!! Tim

Sounds like a great Pedigree and great company.

I hope their products perform!

OK, so a trigger grip goes with a spinning reel like ham and kibble. But does anyone else have any experience with these reels?  Somebody buy me the smallest one, I'll get it wet in the surf as fall develops.  :)

They just got 75 lb yellowtail at Guadalupe on the Shogun on which I go on 9 days trip starting Oct 6.  

I thought I could catch those big yellowtail (kingfish) only on my Three Kings Trip, NZ next April. :)

I can't wait to test IRT reel and Penn Slammer III for those big yellowtail on my 9 days Shogun trip.

yellowtail2_zpshxzvyegr.jpg

The IRT website appears to be a work in progress. Like Truth, they're planning a fly reel or two, though fighting into the luxe spinning reel market would seem demanding enough.

Kilsong, we look forward to your report.  As usual.