Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maineskiff

Bahamas proposed fishing regulations

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone in the Sunshine State has been following the new proposed legislation in the Bahamas regarding having to hire a Guide to fish there?

I've been following the squabble between the Abaco folks and the over all Bahamas Fly Fishing Association.

I fish Abaco and am suppose to head over this March for 2 weeks of chasing Bones around Cherokee Sound.

Any info or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ha! Another way to funnel the money into the hand's of the locals! Haven't heard too much squawk about that nonsense. Been dealing with the proposed shark fishing bans here in South Florida. There's crap going on all over the place. Heck, the way things are going, fishermen will need to unite and start lobbing in Washington to protect this sport. LoL.

Ha! Another way to funnel the money into the hand's of the locals! Haven't heard too much squawk about that nonsense. Been dealing with the proposed shark fishing bans here in South Florida. There's crap going on all over the place. Heck, the way things are going, fishermen will need to unite and start lobbing in Washington to protect this sport. LoL.

That is a scary thought.

If shark fishing can get banned, I am sure that it would open up the possibility of bans on fishing for other fish too.

It already is down here in Dade County and parts of Broward County. Not so bad in Palm Beach County....yet. A lot of public beaches are NO FISHING....PERIOD. Miami Beach, for instance, they give out hefty tickets. Most beaches are patrolled, so if you are caught on them after the sundown hour, off you go with a kick. Then there is parking, which is, in some areas, crazy at $4 minimum per hour or non existent, or closes at sundown. All places close at sundown. What's up with that crap! One public place in Boca is $20 parking. Can get expensive. This is public areas, you might say, but the surroundings are loaded with private gated and guarded condos with RAT Patrol day and night, so no way to park or even enter those places, let alone get to the beach in front of them. There are fewer fewer areas for the surf caster. They're walling us up, for sure.

It is ridiculous, if things keep up, I may have to go elsewhere to fish for vacation.

Based on what you are saying, seems that if you don't have a boat, go somewhere else to fish.

So what do Miami Shore anglers do?

I was wondering if anyone in the Sunshine State has been following the new proposed legislation in the Bahamas regarding having to hire a Guide to fish there?

I've been following the squabble between the Abaco folks and the over all Bahamas Fly Fishing Association.

I fish Abaco and am suppose to head over this March for 2 weeks of chasing Bones around Cherokee Sound.

Any info or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

MaineSkiff; I'm not yet decided on the various interconnected aspects of the proposed regulations I'm so far aware of. Here's a link to posted 1). Comments by Orvis CEO Perk Perkins:His Comments provide a link to the Proposed Regs, as written. Excerpted from a link embedded within that, here's the link to Commentary on the Proposed Regulations submitted by Perkins/Orvis --

2). The Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, a science-based non-profit dedicated to the complete life-cycle ecologies and restoration/preservation of bonefish, tarpon and permit fisheries has published terrific papers on the interconnected and interdependent nature of the bonefish habitats in Bahamas, Florida Keys, etc.

3). That said -- and much unstated: I believe that the Regulations will be polished up so that ambiguities will be clarified (e.g., is a kayak deemed to be a "vessel"); so that possible unintended & adverse consequences are averted in so far as is practicable; and, so that the long-term, vested interests of guided-fishing, local guides, and DIY efforts are well served.

Have you any specific concerns based on previously fishing Abaco? Did you access Cherokee Sound fish on foot, boat and/or with guide?

I've been following it because I can't afford to hire a guide. From what I have heard is they are going to start licensing but I'm not sure when.

Below is taken from DIY Bonefishing Blog.

Looks to be a more reasonable approach to me.

Rena Glinton, Permanent Secretary made the presentation where she announced what everyone in attendance hopes will be the final legislation to be introduced.

In a nut shell, most if not all of the previously annonunced draconian intiatives have been discarded with the new set of regulations to be more or less in line with what other countires encouraging visiting anglers  have adopted.

This would include an on-line licensing system with the weekly license fee estimated at $20 and the annual license around $60.

All self-guided fishing to carry on as before, no limitations.

Those with their own boat can still continue to fish without the services of a guide, providing no more then one person at a time is actually angling.

Guides will need to be certified, but that process will not be controlled by a single association.

A conservation fund will be established and funded by a portion of the angling license fees.

We can agree these are all sensible regulations and look a lot like what was conceptually contemplated two years ago.

So, lets put the past behind us and look forward to once again be welcomed to fish one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

It already is down here in Dade County and parts of Broward County. Not so bad in Palm Beach County....yet. A lot of public beaches are NO FISHING....PERIOD. Miami Beach, for instance, they give out hefty tickets. Most beaches are patrolled, so if you are caught on them after the sundown hour, off you go with a kick. Then there is parking, which is, in some areas, crazy at $4 minimum per hour or non existent, or closes at sundown. All places close at sundown. What's up with that crap! One public place in Boca is $20 parking. Can get expensive. This is public areas, you might say, but the surroundings are loaded with private gated and guarded condos with RAT Patrol day and night, so no way to park or even enter those places, let alone get to the beach in front of them. There are fewer fewer areas for the surf caster. They're walling us up, for sure.

We as Anglers feel for your loss of access which is a contagious act by this species called rich republicans . They will consistent persuade local officials into making the local streets / parking areas w/ outrageous fee .  Remember they don't own below the water / tide line  

We as Anglers feel for your loss of access which is a contagious act by this species called rich republicans . They will consistent persuade local officials into making the local streets / parking areas w/ outrageous fee .  Remember they don't own below the water / tide line

It's ridiculous. A few weeks ago at a beach parking spot I found a ticket on my windshield, not for expired meter or anything but for "backing" my truck in....No signs, no warnings, just a ticket flapping in the breeze. They make up their own rules and then some. Don't know what to expect. Tide line.....I've oftener wondered how far things would go if I challenged an officer on that. Probably end up in jail Lol. Try that tide line verbage in Palm Beach amid all those rich Republicians :o)