Single Hooks Good Idea?

Rate this topic

NickT

Hey Everyone,

Just joined SO and I'm new to surf fishing. I just bought a Bridgeport 2 ounce diamond jig that i plan to use from the beach. It came with a treble hook. Ive read that many people are switch out there treble hook for a single hook. My question is...Is there a benefit to that because the fact that its easier to unhook from the fish?

On any diamond, I'd use a single hook that eyeballs as a little larger then any of the hooks on the treble, but not too much larger. Siwash replacements are common, mainly because they're readily available with an open eye, but you could also add a split ring and any short-shanked pattern you like. 

This isn't rocket science, so there is no "rule." I'm describing my habit, but other guys may step in with different opinions. 

Nick, 

you are too new to worry about that.  Just fish that ava (bridgeport).  

Are you constantly hitting bottom?   Pick up reel speed.  Still hitting bottom, need a lighter lure.

Are you never hitting bottom?  Slow down reel speed, still not hitting bottom, need a heavier lure

Fine tune in between.  Work this a bit.  

2 oz. sounds heavy to me.  If in an inlet, ok, but on an open beach I think it's heavy.