farmbuilt85

September Surf Fishing in Assateague/Ocean City MD - Need Help Please!

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Wow castnet that is a monster. Where were you?

That's actually pretty standard size for butterfly rays. You can see why they are an unmovable force sometimes. That was in the OC inlet.

Waste of time except red drum like to follow them and clean up the scraps. This time last year I got one after about six rays

Made me think of a similar time I had once... Rod baited with a kingfish head went down - big butterfly ray. Rebait another kingfish head and it went down immediately - another big gutterfly ray. Rebait a third kingfish head and it too goes down immediately. My arms were sore from the first two and I had an "ugh, another ray" attitude as I walked over to a bent rod in the spike. Headshakes right away when I picked it up - 48" red; I quit complaining about the rays that day.... until the next cast when I caught another ray :D

Edited by castnet

Close. sgt20h. I still know nothing about convential reels, greases, oil viscosities, magnets, washers, springs, and whatever else you guys are always talking about though :p

I've opened it up once in 5 years to clean and got scared from all the little parts so I haven't opened it up since :D

vaearl - I noticed you mentioned that there is a large sandbar out in the surf which are keeping the bigger fish away in AI.  I wonder if it is still there?  Guess that could cause some problems perhaps.

vaearl - I noticed you mentioned that there is a large sandbar out in the surf which are keeping the bigger fish away in AI.  I wonder if it is still there?  Guess that could cause some problems perhaps.

farmbuilt the last 3 yrs theres been a bar about 2 to 3 hundred yards off the beach, if you really wanted to catch a drum you had to fish the lower end of AIMD south down by the VA line . I had another post on here asking about it this yr, davethesharkman an koss replied dave lol was makein fun of me  about where I fish on the beach, an said depends on where you fish ( he knows going to the end for me is like pulling teeth, koss said that he liked the water an was looking pretty good, but some times he fishes more south to , I got a couple spots I like to fish lol north of 28km ( spot burn ) like the 3 pole hole an the telephone pole hole , an the 2 pole hole. lotta poles going down the beach , but i'm going to be there a month, an will prob end up going south, an maybe work my way back up the beach, I do have a fav place south, but theres usely some one in it , but not always, never have picked up a drum red walking over the dunes at the camp grounds, but that doesn't mean there not there , nite time is usely the rite time  an early AM. if they saw me on the beach before day lite an after sun down, it might give some a heart attack.but I got to do something  3 yrs with out a drum,makes ya :banghd:  :argue:  :dismay:  :kook:  in saying that there are human surfisher s that fish there whole life an never catch one , yrs ago before I started posting on here , I called them carp, didn't realize what a prize they where to catch, never even put a tape on them, funny how humans can infulance others , lol know I carry a 5ft tape in my pocket , pups are I belive 18 to 28 you can keep , very very good eating fish, see ya down there :howdy:

It is quite a trek to the southern end vaearl. Iv only made it one time. Iv only caught drum from the va side. Hoping to change that this year. I'm going end of September maybe,definitely October a few times. Good luck

Earl - I've never been to the south end either.  I've always fished off the dunes in the beach camp area.  Well, I hope I can get lucky with a Drum (may be a bit early too) - I've never caught one before!  Sucks about the sand bar.. That decreases the chances but like you said they may still be around.   Maybe thats why I don't see many anglers out there near me.  And maybe thats why I saw those guys last year kayak their bait out 300 hundred yards LOL.

Hope to see you down there!