HugeDinghy

Hogy Paddle Tail Swimbaits

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

did a quick search and didn't see any discussion(s)...specifically looking at the 6.5"/2oz Pro Tail Paddle ones.....

any feedback on these?

expensive, to order online, does anyone carry them in store?

How are the hooks?

do they tend to roll up on their side like some other swim baits if not slow rolled properly?

any and all feedback welcome....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Huge,

I got to test the Hogy Pro Tails this spring on my boat with clients.  Hogy gave me a 10 pack  to "Test".  With most shad that would barely last me a single trip with 4 anglers.  After close to two weeks and hundreds of fish from 20-40#, I had 2 left and went to Hogy BEGGING for 10 more.  

Most shad rip or tear after a few fish.  These held up better than some of my hard lures, (no trebles to break or rip out)  Despite being SUPER durable, they swim as well or better than any other shad I've used.  

Hogy gave me a big long talk about the HDUV or something that made them glow under water in a frequency we don't see (or something like that)   I figured "cool marketing"   Well they do sort of have an aura around them and they out fished every other lure we through on the fish off the back of the Cape.  Maybe they stand out better IDK.  

I do know that I tossed 2 over to Capt. Eric Kulin @ Snapshot Charters after we put on a clinic near him.  The next day he called Hogy begging for more.  There were only a few hundred in the US at the time, the main order had not arrived, so the supply was limited even for Pro's and guides.   Even Dennis the former owner of Gibb's Lures bought a bunch after a charter with me! (His son is pictured below)

The hook that in the Pro Tails is the VMC Barbarian hook.  It is SUPER sharp and VERY strong.  With bass I never had to rebend a hook once.  I can't wait to throw the straight non-paddle tail at SBFT when they are on halfbeaks (Its a dead ringer)   I figure they will handle tuna up to 125-150# with no issues.  

I don't argue they are more $$$ than regular shad up front.  But when you see how long they last that changes the math quickly.  I never even glued mine.  Some that I took out of service could have been repaired and reused.  

(DISCLAIMER)  I am a Hogy Pro Staffer.  I get to try and use stuff for free or at a discount.  If I or other guides don't like the products you never see them.  (It happens).   That said, I run a very successful charter business.  You could give me 100 free lures but if they don't work my sports suffer and in turn so does my business.  So we test stuff with buddies first (Me, Ruge etc)  Then we put them slowly into the charter rotation.  After two days we had these on every rod on the boat running out in the morning.  They are THAT good!

If you buy 1 or a pack and don't love them, repost this thread and I'll buy them off you for what you paid.  (Offer Only Good for HugeDingy)  That's how confident I am in these Pro Tails.  

If you have any other questions ask here and I'll follow the thread. 

post-650-0-67238400-1469548683.jpg

Edited by Riptide

thanks Terry... I did see your review and watched your video...good stuff.

the purple ones look great...its amazing that other manufacturers haven't picked up on purple/black swim baits (I know there are do it your self options)....

honestly the price wouldn't be that bad, at all, comparatively, if you could pick them up in store and not pay the ten beans for shipping.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm fishing their SE barbarian jig head and their soft bait tails in olive and silver.

They stand up to quite a bit of abuse, and the jig heads are strong.

I'll be picking up their paddle tails soon as well.

Edited by seaped

post-72620-0-31027600-1469553943.jpgHuge,

I know Terry answered your question but I also wanted to ad my thoughts on the pro tail.  3 things I really love about this lure.  First...It is not like any other I have used in that it will last and last.   I have caught well over 30 big  fish on my last one and it looks new.   Second....I thought the hook was over kill at first but it is so easy to pop it out of the stripers mouth and once hooked it almost never pops out.  Third...it is so easy to work ....fast or slow...clients  that have never been fishing to clients that  fish all the time...its swims perfectly at any speed.   Its  one my favorite lures when fishing for big stripers.

Best

Capt. Eric
snapshot charters

These paddle tails are very unique because the hooks are heavy duty almost impossible to bend and the rubber is also very durable will outlast any soft bait on the market! They do not roll in the stiffest current and have a very tight wiggle. They can be obtained on the Hogy web sight and should be available at some of the better tackle stores soon.

thanks Terry... I did see your review and watched your video...good stuff.

the purple ones look great...its amazing that other manufacturers haven't picked up on purple/black swim baits (I know there are do it your self options)....

honestly the price wouldn't be that bad, at all, comparatively, if you could pick them up in store and not pay the ten beans for shipping.

Quaker lane b&t has or had some. They had the pre rigged eels as well