Petey

"Reading the Water".....Robert Post

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

A great read. I realize it's a niche market, but this is an all time classic and I can't believe that to my knowledge it has only been republished once . 

6 hours ago, xjclint said:

Bumping this up as I wanted to see if anyone had a signed copy. Stumbled upon one and wanted to verify the signature. 

I have one but it is packed away as we are re-doing the house.  If you don't get any responses and can wait a month or so, PM then.  Sorry I can't get it quicker. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found a copy of this on abebooks for $20US plus $10 shipping to Australia last month. It was a softcover and sold by OwlsBooks in Toledo, OH.

By far the best fishing book I have ever read and highly recommend.

It is available to read at the following link for free:

https://archive.org/details/readingwateradve00post

Edited by BobBarker
more info added

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, troutworm said:

OK Guys,here's what I can tell you,This book is available on Alibris.com,anywhere

from $52-,(used paperback),to new hardcover $485-,yipes ! Good luck !

I  purchased a brand new paperback, at a reasonable price of $29.00, at a Martha's Vineyard bookshop several years ago when it was reissued/released & while I was fishing the Derby, not signed by the deceased author, Robert Post.  Doesn't matter to me that it wasn't signed. Info is still the same. Such a very well written + descriptive book describing Vineyard striper fishing in the past and is a great addition to my fishing library. I can't even imagine selling this book because it's a great.....It's one of the fishing books in my collection that I enjoy re-reading time and time again. If you ever get a chance to read it, you'll know why. Fishing, back then, in Robert Post's fishing life, really was not what we see nowadays w/our fishing striper regulations! Just amazing stuff.....pickup trucks on the beach loaded with so many caught stripers that their wheels were dragging on the sand! Sold to fish markets for striper poundage. Such a story.. Will always remember the famous chapter of the Columbus Day Blitz! It would never happen nowadays with the striper regs  & those quoted dragging mega pounds of stripers to markets in the final chapters of the book, that they'd never do it again.

Great read, informational, but don't fall for the escalated prices of this book. Check your library and request a copy for you to read or borrow from a friend.

Edited by flysully
more info

My favorite book by a very wide margin. 

My mom actually got me a signed one and she had no idea what she was getting. maybe 25 to 30 years ago. 

15 hours ago, BobBarker said:

I found a copy of this on abebooks for $20US plus $10 shipping to Australia last month. It was a softcover and sold by OwlsBooks in Toledo, OH.

By far the best fishing book I have ever read and highly recommend.

It is available to read at the following link for free:

https://archive.org/details/readingwateradve00post

Thanks for posting

That link won’t last long on this site…

Tommy

4 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Thanks for posting

That link won’t last long on this site…

Tommy

No problem. It's not an illegal copy though..should be ok I think.

40 mins ago, BobBarker said:

No problem. It's not an illegal copy though..should be ok I think.

Yeah that link posted is under a library program. Yes you can view for free (with free account) but its a controlled library loan and the publishers get a kickback just like if the library bought a physical copy.

19 hours ago, flysully said:

I  purchased a brand new paperback, at a reasonable price of $29.00, at a Martha's Vineyard bookshop several years ago when it was reissued/released & while I was fishing the Derby, not signed by the deceased author, Robert Post.  Doesn't matter to me that it wasn't signed. Info is still the same. Such a very well written + descriptive book describing Vineyard striper fishing in the past and is a great addition to my fishing library. I can't even imagine selling this book because it's a great.....It's one of the fishing books in my collection that I enjoy re-reading time and time again. If you ever get a chance to read it, you'll know why. Fishing, back then, in Robert Post's fishing life, really was not what we see nowadays w/our fishing striper regulations! Just amazing stuff.....pickup trucks on the beach loaded with so many caught stripers that their wheels were dragging on the sand! Sold to fish markets for striper poundage. Such a story.. Will always remember the famous chapter of the Columbus Day Blitz! It would never happen nowadays with the striper regs  & those quoted dragging mega pounds of stripers to markets in the final chapters of the book, that they'd never do it again.

Great read, informational, but don't fall for the escalated prices of this book. Check your library and request a copy for you to read or borrow from a friend.

Regarding your text in bold...yeah.  I'm reading a 1st edition copy I got off BST from Sudsy here a little bit ago.  Just hit this passage this morning...

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 1.44.18 PM.png