Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

Which Tide?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

It depends, but I'll fish either as long as it's moving. I think that an onshore wind is more important than tide as it pushes the plankton onto the beach where the bait fish will follow and hopefully the bass.

Gad, I'm with Wayne, actually, even a little less interested in it than Wayne - I just go when I can. I used to be a slave to the tide on the beaches locally...but then about 6-8 years ago, I stopped worrying about it. It's amazing how many fish you can catch at the wrong tides and in the wrong places wink.gif

Schedule yer trips more around the moon, avoiding it when it's biggest fer plugging around our shallow shores and fishin' hard when the moon is dark. The tides will still come in and go out and you'll probably catch fish both tides without even worrying about it smile.gif

TimS

I'm with Wayne and Tim on this one. Open beach unless it's dead low with the sun shining ( bait fishig excluded) you'll do fish on plugs, even then I can remember blitzs at noon with no water. I wouldn't recommend it though! Fish near some deeper water but try the bars, points or troughs with about a half tide up. Onshore winds will help with low water, north or northwest on a south facing beach during low is a killer though. Don't stay home from your trip! Find some spots that lend themselves to low water and if your beach doesn't have that, try an inlet as there's always fish there, they may not be in a biting mode but at least you'll know your casting over fish. Tough Question! With no easy answer. Prospector

Gad. Not to confuse Ya.....

But I have to get in to to when there chowing.

Ya may not have nothing untill Maybe the top 2 on the flood... then Nill and have to move....

then they do a change up a week or so and only chow on the drop.......

I stay in tune to the conditions as I fish it......

But for the most part the turn.

But it depends on time of year location Moon , wind and Bait ect....

Ya got to know when to Move. and I will Be doing alot of that. My route for a night is around 70 miles this time of year, well in 2 weeks.....

If I decide to go hard core. If You can Believe that, after all the action I had last Yearcwm24.gif

Pm Me if Yaz Got any ???

I feel at this point in Time Very aggressive. Last year I was laid back If You can believe it.........

I used to try to go when the tide was on its way out. Although I've found that when I find water on the move I'll often find something any tide except dead low.

Ive kept logs for years, they show that i dont need to keep logs. Forget the tides, worry about where your fishing and then adjust the tides to the locations you want to fish. Of all the conditions, tide, wind, moon,points, cuts, holes, jetty fronts, etc. the most important is location, location, location. Just go fishin!!

Steve, there's definitely something to your theory - years ago I asked a few old timers what was historically the best tide for the biggest fish. The two guys I asked both said the same thing - the last hour of the outgoing right to dead low. The one guy told me that most of the 50# fish he knew of were caught around then smile.gif

Go fishin', only worry about the tide if the fish let you know that they have a preference at that time. For instance, if you fish 4 hrs tonight and only score during one of those hours, the fish have spoken wink.gif

TimS

I agree on the "Just Go Fishing" theory. It seems like when you least expect it...bamm...that's why I guess a lot of us fish....the UNKNOWN lurking in the dark...kind of neat not knowing what may turn up on that hook!!! cwm31.gif