Angler831

Alternative to Sand Crabs?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Just wondering what is a good alternative to Sand Crabs while using a fish finder rig. Sometimes I have a hard time finding a decent sized sand crabs, just tons of small ones.

Plastic? I have really good results with grubs in the 2.5 size with a leadhead. Big hammer makes 3 in swimbaits also that work good. To me its the easiest way to catch perch

killing perchies on these since I found out about em. I just add a little bit of scent to em. I can usually fish one all day. The other stuff is pretty cool. The most durable soft plastics I've ever seen. Been using the other stuff often for rock cod and lings.

Edited by TimS
Please don't post advertisements or commercial links here - thanks

Beenkilling perchies on these since I found out about em. I just add a little bit of scent to em. I can usually fish one all day. The other stuff is pretty cool. The most durable soft plastics I've ever seen. Been using the other stuff often for rock cod and lings.

Those look pretty cool.. How u rig them ??

I use a size 1 octopus hook and rig it through the butt of the lure. It allows the arms to swing free and gives it action. I also add an orange bead on the leader before the hook. Sort of imitates an egg sack. It's an absolute killer on the bigger perch. I've been using uni butter as an attractant. Haven't caught any stripers on it but mostly due to the fact that I usually only perch during the winter.

I might have to give it a go soon. Been having a run of bad luck on the stripers. Only caught 2 dinks on last 4 trips. Hope other people are having better luck.

For fish finder rig I like Gulp Alive Sandworms in Camo or Red or as said previously small cut pieces of shrimp work good as well. Motor Oil red or gold flake Kalin's Grubs on Carolina Rigs.

II also add an orange bead on the leader before the hook. Sort of imitates an egg sack. It's an absolute killer on the bigger perch. I'

Cool idea.  :th:

Plastic? I have really good results with grubs in the 2.5 size with a leadhead. Big hammer makes 3 in swimbaits also that work good. To me its the easiest way to catch perch

Yes using the gun oil color. Just tear off the twist tail and hook it where the twist tail use to be and drag it through the surf sand and bam nice surf perch :)

Yes using the gun oil color. Just tear off the twist tail and hook it where the twist tail use to be and drag it through the surf sand and bam nice surf perch :)

Grr. I've been doing it wrong (again). I was only cutting off half the tail and threading it through the head.

Give those Gulp sand worms in camo color a shot as linesideslayer said. They work pretty damn good. Nothing to cut off and throw away. If you buy the 6" size and break it into smaller pieces you get more for your money than buying the 2" ones.

I'll second the Sandworm. I've noticed that the fish (Perch, Smelt, and rarely a Striper) like the shorter worms. I've tried and tried again with a decent amount of bites on the longer worms, but I get a lot more hookups with the smaller ones.

Edited by SaltWaterRooky

For fish finder rig I like Gulp Alive Sandworms in Camo or Red or as said previously small cut pieces of shrimp work good as well. Motor Oil red or gold flake Kalin's Grubs on Carolina Rigs.

Great info. This is pretty much the standard for perch from here to So Cal.