Rate this topic

970 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2019 at 9:06 AM, Old Hunter said:

Bought the new model (13 seals) Shield 4000 yesterday at a local B&T.  They also had plenty of the Guard and another less expensive model as well - all being sold as sealed reels.  My B&T had the Shield marked $89.99 but was having a end of year 30% off sale, so I got it fairly cheaply just to try out.  Spooled it with 15 lbs. standard PowerPro braid.  Got to get out in the garage and pick a rod for it (something 7') and try it out this evening. OH

So how did perform for you?

Have a 5000 Shield for over a year. Used and abused from Jersey's strippers to California's stingrays. The reel is still holding up well with no major issues. Just be aware not fill the spool to the rim to avoid wind knots.     

Modification recommended; modify to manual bail or buy the bail-less kit for $14 if bail-less is your thing. Paired with a Lamiglass Insane 9 ft rod. $200 all around setup.   

gman, I fished it in the creek off the ICW for an hour on the evening of Jan 1st.  It started out pretty stiff, wasn't getting my usual casting distance, but as the hour went on it loosened up and began to match the casting distance (per lure) I'm used to with a Daiwa BG3000 and Penn Slammer III 4500.  I used three hard lures and three weights of swim shad soft baits.  I never hooked a thing to haul in a fish, so I've got to get back out again and see how it performs on Specks.  I decided to surf fish this morning, so I used a Slammer III 5500, left the Tsunami home.  OH

On 7/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, gellfex said:

FWIW I mail ordered a Guard 2000 for $50. Confidence was low, but it came! Nice reel so far, spooled it with 10# braid at the local b&t, but fluking sucked the day I had it out.

How did you end up liking it this past season? Did it work out well for you?

Anybody figure out how to get replacements parts for the shield? I read back to where John yacht said they would be available. I can’t even find a mention of the shield on Bimini bay website. And a half hour scrolling through google reveals nothing other than the mpu kit and spare spools from j and h

Now that this reel has been out for a few years I'm wondering if anyone has any reviews to update. I bought one and only used it wade fishing with no contact with the salt water. I'm considering pushing the reel a bit further and swimming short distances to rock islands with it. I know their is a huge difference between a reel getting dunked, getting splashed and not actually reeling while under water. Just wondering if anyone has had the reel submerged for a short time and what the outcome was. 

I used mine in Florida kayak fishing this winter. I paddle a performance boat not set up for fishing.The rod and reel ride under my deck bungies, it gets wet constantly and when I am edging the boat it is often submerged. So far I have only rinsed it when done fishing and is still works fine. Been using it for schoolies this spring and its ok. I hope that helps

I have shield 5k that lasted half a season before it gave me problems. The bail trip got mushy and was flipping prematurely on hard casts. The drag also stopped clicking when pulled. 

I've got several posts out there declaiming the durability of mine. I won't disagree that the bail arm got a little soft after months of hard use, but I switch to bailless anyways. I pounded the hell out of that reel and it is the backup for my van stall which gets really, really wet.

Hi John Y.,

Your replies are very helpful. Thank you!

So I have my Shield broken down to clean out and re-lube, but I can't figure out how to reinstall the kicking pawl spring onto the rivet to make the bail kicking pawl working again. Do you know how the spring is installed?

Thank you.