Rate this topic

970 posts in this topic

I should also note that these are not sealed like a VS. They are "water tight" like an SSV.

Right now I only fish the beaches of Hatteras Island. I don't need a reel that can be cranked underwater like the high $$ VS, I just need a good reel that handles salt water splashes or a short dunk.

... or we could keep an open mind. I won't be the first to purchase though.

Is this Tackle DIrect interviewer the owners son or something? It almost painful to watch these. Reminds me of the "Chris Farley Show" interviews on SNL.

Mos def.  That guy is asleep at the wheel.  Asking all the tough questions..."available end of the year?  so like Christmas?"   ( no- like forth of July NN...sheesh...)

Zero discussion about the drive train.  Gears are probably cast pot metal.

Listen, if they showed a video of it cranking underwater and wrote "water tight" on the box, maybe we'd have a gripe. Having them say "don't crank it underwater" shows me without question it is just  :airquote:  shielded not fully sealed. Could be another crap reel, who knows, at least they aren't representing as something it clearly isn't, just to boost buzz and initial sales.  :shrug:

Exactly- notice it does not have an IPX rating at all.

I will say that it looks like a lot of reel for a hundred bucks. However, I'll also say that I still don't understand everyone's fascination with waterproof reels. Give me a simple reel which is easy to break down, clean, lube and re-assemble and I'll keep it running virtually forever.Something like a Penn 704. I have 40 year old Penn Greenies which function as good as when they were new. I expect to get another 40 years out of them, if I can last that long, that is ;). In any case I seriously doubt that this Tsunami wonder reel will have a life anywhere near as long as my Penns. Will parts even be available for the Tsunami in 5 years? Prolly not. Still I'd try it as long as I wasn't expecting to get a long life from it.

-Valentine

Give me a simple reel which is easy to break down, clean, lube and re-assemble and I'll keep it running virtually forever.Something like a Penn 704. I have 40 year old Penn Greenies which function as good as when they were new. I expect to get another 40 years out of them, if I can last that long, that is ;).

YES! i have one and it's my main reel, i throw it around and dunk it and when i go home i open it and make sure every thing is ticking. i want to have a nice reel like the next guy but i don't really need one because the penn keeps ticking. they now make it again which makes parts available forever lol 

Here's a quick look inside the shield gear box. Very simple and easy to maintain. Pinion gear, face gear, main shaft, slider, oscillation gear plus a few sealed bearings make up the guts.

post-72552-0-07408600-1469496581.jpg

This looks interesting.  I have no need nor want for a submersible reel, but one that can take a drop in the water without me having to stop usage and break it down and clean it would be great.  

This role is currently filled by older cheaper crappier reels nearing the end of their lives, or the Penn z's, which in 712 are larger than necessary and the ultralite is a little too small and ime lays line like a turd.  

I also notice the VS/ZB commentary here interesting, but its probably the wrong forum for that.  

I think I've captured most questions below but Here's a little more info on the Shield reels. Combos will also be available.

Retails:

3000-4000 - $99.99

5000-6000 - $109.99

Weight by size:

3000 - 9.5oz

4000 - 9.8oz

5000 - 16.2oz

6000 - 16.5

3000-4000 have 6 internal seals plus sealed bearings (4+1). Not submersible but key components are water proof.

5000-6000 have 13 internal seals plus sealed bearings (4+1). Submersible but should not be cranked under water.

Just looking at the weights of these reel  makes them nice for a smaller rods

Yes both side plates are screw on and the other side is for quick access for lubrication. Parts can only be removed from one side while the other side serves as quick maintenance oil and grease ports.

post-72552-0-92489900-1469567790.jpg

I should also note that these are not sealed like a VS. They are "water tight" like an SSV.

I'm interested to see the exact type of seals and the exact locations. If I heard right from the video, he said 13 seals in the larger sizes (plus a rotor brake in those sizes, which is nice). He said in the video the main shaft is sealed. I'm interested in finding out if and how well the rotor/pinion area is sealed, as he did not mention this area.

It sounds like this may have more sealing than an SSV, as the SSV doesn't address the main shaft or the rotor/pinion area. However, the bail-less 6500 SSV has one seal in the rotor area. As you mention, I doubt it would ever have the quality of sealing a VS has. However, many folks don't have a need for that much sealing.

Edited by GSB706z