Rate this topic

969 posts in this topic

Not sure but material, main and pinion seem to be comparable with battles ( not the brass in the slammer). Sealing wise it might not be better than the slammer but neither have proven themselves yet. If the sealing is better than the SSV than I think they might have a good player in the market. For $100 I'll pick one up and put it on my sons rod, that will be the real test, at 8yo he breaks everything :0)

Lol, I don't know if that's a fair assessment unless you give your son both the SSV and the Shield to play around with.

Last year, one of my buddies broke his Penn Clash 4000 on his first outing. You can search for the post on SOL, but this is what I wrote: "My buddy has a Penn Clash 4000. He hooked onto a Cownose and the main shaft bent while fighting. He had the drag tightened down, but even so, I wouldn't think that the main shaft should bend. He wasn't cupping the reel. He was able to bend the main shaft back with just his hands... He is planning to get it serviced and is planning to buy a Battle II or a Spinfisher V for the area that we were fishing in (there are many rays there - see pic)."

I am just making a point that few others also made, which is that there will be broken Shields - some due to user error and some due to manufacturing, etc. Warranty is there for a reason and it will take much more than a single case of a reported problem to say that this reel is 'good' or 'bad', which is also relative.

Oh yea, also, I had bought a brand new Van Staal X-series 150 last year. I spooled it up and tried pulling the line with the drag tightened, but I was able to pull out the line without much effort. I spoke to the seller and sent it back. The seller (Half Hitch) took a look and this is what he said "The drag was slipping exactly like you described. Often times this can easily be fixed by adding a shim in the spool. When our factory service tech looked at the reel he had found that it already had four shims in it. It appeared like the factory knew of the issue with this reel and already tried fixing it. We went ahead and sent that reel back to Van Staal for a credit."

<Just a couple of examples to show that even reputable brands and models can have issues right out of the box. Even so, I think the general consensus is that the Clash and the X-series are great performers with some reported problems.>

Edited by digirambo

Do you think that the shield reel could go toe to toe with the slammer III?

Me doesn't think so.

Apples to oranges. It doesn't have to beat the Slammer III just the Penn SSV

Nothing to hide here so the answer in no. The Shield is compatible with a Spinfisher in terms of specs/gear material. The slammer has an all brass gear train and dura-drag so those two items put the Slammer in a different class.

Thank you for your honest and objective response J.Y.. And without a pivot either. I think these will also make for great travel reels, esp. with the sealing.

As for new reels we have another series of reels launching in a few months called Armr. It's not a shield spinning reel but fallls in the $70-$80 price range. We are also launching a lever drag series called Forged and will be available in 2 months.

As for what's in the hopper yes, more are in the works.

JohnYacht , I am excited about the FORGE reel.

I was on market for a good quality Tog/blackfish reel!!!

Can't wait for your release . Do you have any idea when.

Rt now AVET left overs are going on sale .

JohnYacht , I am excited about the FORGE reel.

I was on market for a good quality Tog/blackfish reel!!!

Can't wait for your release . Do you have any idea when.

Rt now AVET left overs are going on sale .

Yes we will start shipping these at the end of February.

hey john y i seen in earlier posts that they will be offering a bailless model and a bailless conversion i have a couple of questions

is it going to be a true bailless model or will it be the same reel with a bailess kit already installed (same rotor) ?

will the specs be different for the bailless model?

i also seen in an earlier post that something was mentioned about an improved gear train.is any info you willing to share with us ?

Moi pacific threadfin

4000 with 15# J-Braid shown with fish of the alii. Commoners were not allowed to eat this fish.

Wow, those look like the bastard offspring of a striped bass and mullet! Tasty, huh?  As for the Shield, if there was a liveliner model it would be killer kayak reel. I like the Penn SSV4500LL because I can troll, liveline or plug with it, keeping down the gear I take,and it's not so expensive should the worst happen.

Had my first fish on my 3000 size shield, sorry it's freshwater one. Reel loaded with j braid, good line lay and casts superb. Trout taken on a 1/4 oz acme phoebe in the u.k. Impressed with the lightness of the reel.Just wanted also to thank the boys at j and h for getting the reel to the hotel in NYC over the holidays. Great service and it arrived exactly on time as requested.post-56227-0-30053200-1484135675.jpg

Edited by the mekon

hey john y i seen in earlier posts that they will be offering a bailless model and a bailless conversion i have a couple of questions

is it going to be a true bailless model or will it be the same reel with a bailess kit already installed (same rotor) ?

will the specs be different for the bailless model?

i also seen in an earlier post that something was mentioned about an improved gear train.is any info you willing to share with us ?

The bailess version will be the same specs but with a bailess rotor of course. A kit will also be sold separately to convert started versions.