Rate this topic

970 posts in this topic

I think I've captured most questions below but Here's a little more info on the Shield reels. Combos will also be available.

Retails:

3000-4000 - $99.99

5000-6000 - $109.99

Weight by size:

3000 - 9.5oz

4000 - 9.8oz

5000 - 16.2oz

6000 - 16.5

3000-4000 have 6 internal seals plus sealed bearings (4+1). Not submersible but key components are water proof.

5000-6000 have 13 internal seals plus sealed bearings (4+1). Submersible but should not be cranked under water.

... or we could keep an open mind. I won't be the first to purchase though.

Is this Tackle DIrect interviewer the owners son or something? It almost painful to watch these. Reminds me of the "Chris Farley Show" interviews on SNL.

Something like this is what i've been waiting for, I don't really have the need for cranking the reel under water but getting to certain spots without dunking the reel is a real challenge sometimes. Can't wait for some reviews on here hope this doesn't disappoint 

time will tell but i still dont think i will find a deal better that the first VS 200 I bought. it is number 9 twenty something, was $399 probably 20 plus yrs ago, hab it serviced twice. A buddy of mine that owns a tackle store does what he can to it every so often. still works great.

Beware "sealed" at $100. 

On SOL we expect a "sealed" spinner to be capable of retrieving line at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, and we bitch like hell when that doesn't happen. (I think maintaining watertight integrity at the bottom of the Challenger Deep, the lowest part of the Trench, requires an IPX 25,000 rating.)  However, we're eager to be had, gullible and happy to be gullible, so guys always buy these things and are startled when they turn green and start disintegrating as soon as they smell salt air.

Listen, if they showed a video of it cranking underwater and wrote "water tight" on the box, maybe we'd have a gripe. Having them say "don't crank it underwater" shows me without question it is just  :airquote:  shielded not fully sealed. Could be another crap reel, who knows, at least they aren't representing as something it clearly isn't, just to boost buzz and initial sales.  :shrug:

Edited by Ba Ba Buoy

Where have I heard that before???  :headscratch:

I'm getting my VS's and ZB's ready for the BST. I want to get out early before everyone else dumps their reels to get a shield. Prices on the VS/ZB are gonna crash.