PENN Fishing

2017 New Product Launch - PENN Torque II

111 posts in this topic

Torque II has a completely different knob design to the 1st gen.

New knobs are very much like the (new) Slammer.

I actually noticed that after i originally posted this. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

SO I have one of the 7 series in silver and it is a reel (ha ha) work of art! Have not got it on the water yet because it came in not too long ago. First impressions are that it is solid, looks better than the last iteration, and is a tad on the heavy side but not by much for what I plan on using it for. The new 7 series actually is rated for 50# of drag vice the original Torque 7 (which I also own) wich i believe is rated for #40. 

I plan on using this on a heavy popping rod with Maxcuatro 100# (which has the same diameter as Power Pro 100#) to fish in Papua New Guinea for GT and Dogtooth. I cannot wait to put the drag through the ringer to see if it holds up like a Stella or Saltiga.

Big decider for me: Wanted a tough reel that was made in USA.

Edited by MoralesGA

MoralesGA, on 26 May 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

SO I have one of the 7 series in silver and it is a reel (ha ha) work of art! Have not got it on the water yet because it came in not too long ago. First impressions are that it is solid, looks better than the last iteration, and is a tad on the heavy side but not by much for what I plan on using it for. The new 7 series actually is rated for 50# of drag vice the original Torque 7 (which I also own) wich i believe is rated for #40. 

I plan on using this on a heavy popping rod with Maxcuatro 100# (which has the same diameter as Power Pro 100#) to fish in Papua New Guinea for GT and Dogtooth. I cannot wait to put the drag through the ringer to see if it holds up like a Stella or Saltiga.

Big decider for me: Wanted a tough reel that was made in USA.

Should note regarding weight, the new 7500 is 26 ounces, the old Gen1 7 size was 28 ounces.

Should note regarding weight, the new 7500 is 26 ounces, the old Gen1 7 size was 28 ounces.

I just looked at the boxes for weight:

Penn TorqueTRQS7 is listed at 26.5 oz or 751 grams

Penn Torque II TRQII7500 is listed as 26.7 oz or 757 grams

MoralesGA, on 26 May 2017 - 5:47 PM, said:

I just looked at the boxes for weight:

Penn TorqueTRQS7 is listed at 26.5 oz or 751 grams

Penn Torque II TRQII7500 is listed as 26.7 oz or 757 grams

Interesting, straight out of catalogue spec:

Old version [2016 catalogue]

7 regular= 28.4 ounces 

7 bail-less= 27.0 ounces

New version [2018 catalogue]

7500 regular= 26.7 ounces

7500 bail-less= 25.7 ounces

Tony might need to cross-reference this on Tuesday after the holiday.

Morales, we'd love a user report on how the reel performs.  Pictures would be wonderful, and make us all jealous. If there are any attractive young women sporting bikinis in the background, why, you might become one of SOL's immortals. 

Morales, we'd love a user report on how the reel performs.  Pictures would be wonderful, and make us all jealous. If there are any attractive young women sporting bikinis in the background, why, you might become one of SOL's immortals.

Haha I will try but I may wake up without my baby maker if the old lady sees it!

I am stuck in a place where it would be a bit of overkill but have a trip planned in the near future so I will keep you informed. I have the size 5 on order and am putting it on one of Lou Caruso's custom made ODM masterpieces. I will let you know!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here are some side by side photos. The other super huge plus about the new Torque II is it has a higher gear ratio vice the old model: 6.0:1 for the torque II to vice 5.1:1 with the old 7. This should make it a bit more appealing for the boat guys IMO.

post-71562-0-41784100-1495908482.jpg

post-71562-0-97951400-1495908504.jpg

Edited by MoralesGA

22 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

Is this a completely submersible all day any day for life surf reel like the ZB and VS?

The Torque II is IPX6 rated, description of IPX6 is below. 

tony

Powerful water jets -Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
Edited by PENN Fishing

9 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

The Torque II is IPX6 rated, description of IPX6 is below. 

tony

Powerful water jets -Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Not sure what that means... great- I hose my reel of and water won't get in, but can I submerge this reel under salt water and reel it for an hour straight under water with NO INTRUSION of water into the reel?

Edited by Fishy4335