PENN Fishing

2017 New Product Launch - PENN Torque II

111 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Also new for 2017 from PENN – updated Torque II Spinning Reels.

The Torque II is our top-of-the-line spinning reel, designed for heavy duty fishing from either boat or shore. The Torque II reels feature the best of all that PENN has to offer - CNC Gear technology, our new IPX6 Sealed System which keeps water out of the gear box and drag system, and our updated Slammer Drag System which now utilizes our proprietary Dura-Drag material. Designed and built in the USA using domestic and foreign components.

• CNC Gear Technology.
  • Full Metal Body, sideplate and rotor.
  • IPX6 Sealed body and spool design.
  • Sealed Slammer Drag System with Dura-Drag.
  • 9+1 stainless steel bearing system.
  • Instant Anti-Reverse bearing with silent back up ratchet.
  • Superline Spool eliminates the need for backing.
  • Line Capacity Rings let the angler know just how much line is on the reel at any time.
  • Now offered in silver cosmetics as well as gold (all sizes) and two bail-less models (5500 and 7500 only).

• MSRP for the Torque II spinning reels is $699.95 to $799.95

So the Torque 2 has launched, and all over the internet and in my local tackle shops lies the same question: Is this reel sealed in the same manner as a Van Staal. myself and many others are willing to invest a lot of money into these reels, but its very hard to do without the iron clad guarantee that VS gives with its reels; fully sealed and submersible. now that they're available, can you elaborate on the degree as to how sealed/submersible these reels really are??? thanks

Edited by Tacoma2015

Posted (edited) · Report post

So the Torque 2 has launched, and all over the internet and in my local tackle shops lies the same question: Is this reel sealed in the same manner as a Van Staal. myself and many others are willing to invest a lot of money into these reels, but its very hard to do without the iron clad guarantee that VS gives with its reels; fully sealed and submersible. now that they're available, can you elaborate on the degree as to how sealed/submersible these reels really are??? thanks

Tacoma,

Mike covered the sealing earlier in this thread.

"Both the Torque II and Slammer III are sealed reels.

Sealed simply means it's sealed (has seals in key areas to keep water out).

Sealed means different things to different people....some think you can submerge it 100ft, some 3ft, some don't think you can submerge it at all....which is why we decided to get specific with IP rating.

Eventually seals wear....which makes the more susceptible to water intrusion. How long does a sealed rating last....100hrs of use, 6 months, 1 year, the life of the product?

Bottom line is the Torque II is sealed better than the current Torque....and we're comfortable giving both the Slammer III and Torque II an IPX6 rating.

Mike"

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

Thats a shame. It would be my next reel. How about putting handles like the slammer on a torque. The torque handles are garbage. 

What's garbage about them?  They seem comfortable.

if you don't like the metal, a few wraps of silicon tape work wonders.

i do not like my torque 5 handle when i am using fast retrieve surface lures. when using slow retrieve i do not notice the handle one way or another. silicon tape ? don't know what that is. will google

I honestly always wished they started using different handles.

Torque II has a completely different knob design to the 1st gen.

New knobs are very much like the (new) Slammer.